The DIAGNOSER project: Combining assessment and learning
DIAGNOSER is an Internet-based tool for classroom instruction. It delivers continuous formative assessment and feedback to high school physics students and their teachers about the correct and incorrect concepts and ideas the students may hold regarding physical situations. That is, it diagnoses misconceptions that underlie wrong answers of students, such as a confusion of velocity with acceleration. We use data about patterns of student responses, particularly consistency of errors from question to question, to improve the system’s understanding of student concepts.
- Carlson, A., &Tanimoto, S. L. (2003). Learning to identify student preconceptions from text. In J. Burstein & C. Leacock (Eds.),HLT-NAACL 2003 Workshop: Building Educational Applications Using Natural Language Processing (pp. 9–16). Edmonton: Association for Computational Linguistics. CrossRef
- DiSessa, A. A. (1993). Toward an epistemology of physics.Cognition & Instruction,10,105–225.
- Graesser, A. C., Lu, S., Jackson, G. T., Mitchell, H. H., Ventura, M., Olney, A., &Louwerse, M. M. (2004). AutoTutor: A tutor with dialogue in natural language.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments,& Computers,36,180–192. CrossRef
- Hunt, E. (2002). The DIAGNOSER project: Assessment in the service of learning.Journal of the Hellenic Psychological Society,9, 241–251.
- Hunt, E., &Minstrell, J. (1996). Effective instruction in science and mathematics: Psychological principles and social constraints.Issues in Education: Contributions from Educational Psychology,2, 123–162.
- Levidow, B. B., Hunt, E., &McKee, C. (1991). The DIAGNOSER: A HyperCard tool for building theoretically based tutorials.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers,23, 249–252. CrossRef
- Milson, R., Lewis, M. W., &Anderson, J. R. (1990). The teacher’s apprentice project: Building an algebra tutor. In R. Freedle (Ed.),Artificial intelligence and the future of testing (pp. 53–71). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Minstrell, J. (1992). Facets of students’ knowledge and relevant instruction. In R. Druit, F. Goldberg, & H. Medderer (Eds.),Research in physics learning: Theoretical issues and empirical studies (pp. 110–128). Kiel: University of Kiel, Institute for Science Education.
- Minstrell, J. (2001). The role of the teacher in making sense of classroom experience and effecting better learning. In S. M. Carver & D. Klahr (Eds.),Cognition and instruction: Twenty-five years of progress (pp. 121–150). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- The DIAGNOSER project: Combining assessment and learning
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers
Volume 36, Issue 2 , pp 234-240
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors