Interpersonal dynamics in sport: The role of artificial neural networks and 3-D analysis
In previous attempts to identify dynamical systems properties in patterns of play in team sports, only 2-D analysis methods have been used, implying that the plane of motion must be preselected and that movements out of the chosen plane are ignored. In the present study, we examined the usefulness of 3-D methods of analysis for establishing the presence of dynamical systems properties, such as phase transitions and symmetry-breaking processes in the team sport of rugby. Artificial neural networks (ANN s) were employed to reconstruct the 3-D performance space in a typical one-versus-one subphase of rugby. Results confirm that ANs are reliable tools for reconstructing a 3-D performance space and may be instrumental in identifying pattern formation in team sports generally.
- Araújo, D., Davids, K., Bennett, S., Button, C., &Chapman, G. (2004). Emergence of sport skills under constraints. In A. M. Williams & N. J. Hodges (Eds.),Skill acquisition in sport: Research, theory and practice (pp. 409–433). London: Routledge.
- Araújo, D., Davids, K., Saínhas, J., &Fernandes, O. (2002). Emergent decision-making in sport: A constraints-led approach. In L. Toussaint & P. Boulinguez (Eds.),International Congress of Movement, Attention & Perception (p. 77). Poitiers, France: Université de Poitiers Press.
- Bartlett, R. (1997).Introduction to sports biomechanics. London: Spon Press. CrossRef
- Basheer, M. H. (2000). Artificial neural networks: Fundamentals, computing, design, and application.Journal of Microbiological Methods,43, 3–31. CrossRef
- Bates, B. T., Dufek, J. S., &Davis, H. P. (1992). The effect of trial size on statistical power.Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise,24, 1059–1068. CrossRef
- Biscombe, T., &Drewett, P. (1998).Rugby: Steps to success. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- D’Appuzo, N. (2002), Surface measurement and tracking of human body parts from multi-image video sequences.ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing,56, 360–375. CrossRef
- Fernandes, O., & Caixinha, P. (2003, April).A new method in time— motion analysis in soccer training and competition. Paper presented at the Fifth World Congress of Science & Football, Lisbon.
- Greenwood, J. (2003).Total rugby: Fifteen-man rugby for coach and player. London: A&C Black.
- Gruen, A. (1997). Fundamentals of videogrammetry: A review.Human Movement Science,16, 155–187. CrossRef
- Haykin, S. (1994).Neural networks: A comprehensive foundation. New York: Macmillan.
- Hughes, M., &Franks, I. M. (Eds.) (2004).Notational analysis of sport: Systems for better coaching and performance in sport (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.
- Kelso, J. A. S. (1995).Dynamic patterns: The self-organization of brain and behaviour. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Kelso, J. A. S., Buchanan, J. J., DeGuzman, G. C., &Ding, M. (1993). Spontaneous recruitment and annihilation of degrees of freedom in biological coordination.Physics Letters A,179, 364–371. CrossRef
- Klein, G. (2001). The fiction of optimization. In G. Gigerenzer & R. Stelten (Eds.),Bounded rationality: The adaptive toolbox (pp. 103–121). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- McGarry, T., &Perl, J. (2004). Models of sports contests: Markov processes, dynamical systems and neural networks. In M. Hughes & I. Franks (Eds.),Notational analysis of sport: Systems for better coaching and performance in sport (2nd. ed., pp. 227–242). London: Routledge.
- Memon, Q., &Khan, S. (2001). Camera calibration and three-dimensional world reconstruction of stereo-vision using neural networks.International Journal of Systems Science,32, 1155–1159. CrossRef
- Perl, J. (2002). Game analysis and control by means of continuously learning networks.International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport,2, 21–35.
- Smith, L. (2001),An introduction to neural networks. Retrieved March 31, 2004, from University of Sterling, Department of Computing Science and Mathematics Web site: www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~1ss/NNIntro/InvSlides.html.
- Stergiou, C., & Siganos, D. (1996),Introduction to neural networks. Retrieved March 31, 2004, from www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol4/cs11/report.html.
- Zanone, P. G., &Kelso, J. A. S. (1994). The coordination dynamics of learning. In S. [P.] Swinnen, H. Hever, J. Massion, & P. Cassaer (Eds.)Interlimb coordination: Neural, dynamical, and cognitive constraints (pp. 462–490). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Interpersonal dynamics in sport: The role of artificial neural networks and 3-D analysis
Behavior Research Methods
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 683-691
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2. Lusófona University of Humanities and Technologies, Lisbon, Portugal
- 4. University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- 5. University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal