CTTITEM: SAS macro and SPSS syntax for classical item analysis
This article describes the functions of a SAS macro and an SPSS syntax that produce common statistics for conventional item analysis including Cronbach’s alpha, item difficulty index (p-value or item mean), and item discrimination indices (D-index, point biserial and biserial correlations for dichotomous items and item-total correlation for polytomous items). These programs represent an improvement over the existing SAS and SPSS item analysis routines in terms of completeness and user-friendliness. To promote routine evaluations of item qualities in instrument development of any scale, the programs are available at no charge for interested users. The program codes along with a brief user’s manual that contains instructions and examples are downloadable from suen.ed.psu.edu/~pwlei/plei.htm.
- User’s manual for the ITEMAN conventional item analysis program, version 3.5 for Windows 3.x.. Author, St. Paul, MN
- Crocker, L., Algina, J. (1986) Introduction to classical and modern test theory. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951) Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 16: pp. 297-334 CrossRef
- Ebel, R. L., Frisbie, D. A. (1991) Essentials of educational measurement. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Kelley, T. L. (1939) Selection of upper and lower groups for the validation of test items. Journal of Educational Psychology 30: pp. 17-24 CrossRef
- Levesque, R. (2003, January 27). Syntax for item analysis.SPS. Retrieved May 6, 2006, from www.spsstools.net/Syntax/ItemAnalysis/ SyntaxForItemAnalysis.txt.
- Sample 478: Perform item analysis for multiple choice tests (1992, June 26). Retrieved May 6, 2006, from support.sas.com/ctx/ samples/index.jsp?sid 5 478&tab 5 details.
- SPSSwhite paper: Using SPSS for item analysis (1998). Retrieved May 6, 2006, from www.spsstools.net/Syntax/ItemAnalysis/UsingSPSSforItemAnalysis.pdf.
- CTTITEM: SAS macro and SPSS syntax for classical item analysis
Behavior Research Methods
Volume 39, Issue 3 , pp 527-530
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors