Carbon phases on nickel surfaces
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The conditions of the formation of different carbon surface phases on nickel substrates by the example of a planar Ni( 110) surface and a stepped Ni(771 ) surface similar in structure were determined. The structure of the phases was investigated by means of scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), and the influence of carbon on the structure of the nickel surface was demonstrated. The process of graphene synthesis by propylene cracking is described. A method for forming graphene islands on nickel is proposed. A variety of phase transitions between the carbon surface phases (e.g., surface carbide, graphene, and graphene islands) and the reasons for their irreversibility are discussed. The relation between the structures of the surface carbide phases and the crystal structures of the initial surfaces for two different substrates is shown.
- Buyanov, N.A., Zakoksovyvanie katalizatorov (Catalysts Coking), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1983.
- Tontegode, A.Ya., Progr. Surf. Sci., 1991, vol. 38, p. 201. CrossRef
- Eizenberg, M. and Blakely, J.M., Surf. Sci., 1979, vol. 82, p. 228. CrossRef
- Usachov, D., Dobrotvorskii, A.M., Varykhalov, A., Rader, O., Shikin, A.M., and Adamchuk, V.K., Phys. Rev. B, 2008, vol. 78, p. 085403. CrossRef
- Novoselov, K.S., et al., Science, 2004, vol. 306, p. 666. CrossRef
- Farias, D., Shikin, A.M., Adamchuk, V.K., et al., Surf. Sci., 2000, vols. 454-456, p. 437. CrossRef
- Varykhalov, A., et al., Phys. Rev. Lett., 2008, vol. 101, p. 157601. CrossRef
- Usachov, D.Yu., et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 2007, vol. 49, no. 5, p. 899 [Phys. Solid State (Engl. Transl.), 2007, vol. 49, no. 5, p. 949].
- Carbon phases on nickel surfaces
Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Physics
Volume 74, Issue 1 , pp 24-27
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Allerton Press, Inc.
- Additional Links