Simulation of thermal lesions in biological tissues irradiated by high-intensity focused ultrasound through the rib cage
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thermal effect of high-intensity focused ultrasound on biological tissue behind the rib cage phantom has been numerically simulated. A phased array was used as a source of ultrasound. Temperature and thermal dose distributions in the biological tissue were calculated and used to find the form of thermal lesions. The results of the calculations are in good agreement with experiment and show that the model is applicable for predicting the effect produced by ultrasound in tissue.
- C. Hill, J. Bamber, and G. ter Haar, Physical Principles of Medical Ultrasonics, 2nd ed. (Wiley, Chichester, 2004). CrossRef
- M. R. Bailey, V. A. Khokhlova, O. A. Sapozhnikov, S. G. Kargl, and L.A. Crum, “Physical Mechanisms of the Therapeutic Effect of Ultrasound (A Review),” Acoust. Phys. 49(4), 369 (2003). CrossRef
- F. Li, X. Gong, K. Hu, C. Li, and Z. Wang, “Effect of Ribs in HIFU Beam Path on Formation of Coagulative Necrosis in Goat Liver,” in Proceedings of the Therapeutic Ultrasound: 5th International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound (Boston, Massachusetts, 27–29 October 2005). AIP Conf. Proc. 829, 477 (2006).
- S. Bobkova, L. Gavrilov, V. Khokhlova, A. Shaw, and J. Hand, “Focusing of High Intensity Ultrasound through the Rib Cage Using Therapeutic Random Phased Array,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 36(6), 888 (2010). CrossRef
- S. A. Sapareto and W.C. Dewey, “Thermal Dose Determination in Cancer Therapy,” Rad. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 10, 787 (1984). CrossRef
- E. A. Filonenko, L. R. Gavrilov, V. A. Khokhlova, and J.W. Hand, “Heating of Biological Tissues by Two-Dimensional Phased Arrays with Random and Regular Element Distributions,” Acoust. Phys. 50(2), 222 (2004). CrossRef
- F. A. Duck, Physical Properties of Tissue (Academic Press, London, 1990), p. 346.
- J.W. Hand, A. Shaw, N. Sadhoo, S. Rajagopal, R. J. Dickinson, and L.R. Gavrilov, “A Random Phased Array Device for Delivery of High Intensity Focused Ultrasound,” Phys. Med. Biol. 54, 5675 (2009). CrossRef
- L. R. Gavrilov and J.W. Hand, “A Theoretical Assessment of the Relative Performance of Spherical Phased Arrays for Ultrasound Surgery and Therapy,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr. 41(1), 125 (2000). CrossRef
- E. S. Ebbini and C.A. Cain, “Multiple-Focus Ultrasound Phased Array Pattern Synthesis: Optimal Driving Signal Distributions for Hyperthermia,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr. 36(5), 540 (1989). CrossRef
- S. A. Goss, L. A. Frizzell, J. T. Kouzmanoff, J.M. Barich, and J. M. Yang, “Sparse Random Ultrasound Phased Array for Focal Surgery,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr. 43(6), 1111 (1996). CrossRef
- Simulation of thermal lesions in biological tissues irradiated by high-intensity focused ultrasound through the rib cage
Physics of Wave Phenomena
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 62-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Allerton Press, Inc.
- Additional Links