Routes to polymer-based photonics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The advances in polymer materials and technologies for telecom applications are reported. The polymers include new highly halogenated acrylates, which possess absorption losses less than 0.25 dB/cm and refractive indices ranging from 1.3 to 1.5 in the 1.5 μm wavelength region. The halogenated liquid monomers are highly intermixable, photocurable under UV exposure and exhibit high contrast in polymerization.
The polymer technologies developed at the Institute on Laser and Information Technologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (ILIT RAS) include:
UV contact lithography permitting creation of single-mode polymer waveguides and waveguide arrays
submicron printing for fabricating corrugated waveguides and polymer phase masks
UV laser holography for writing refractive index gratings in polymer materials.
The technology for fabricating narrowband Bragg filters on the basis of single-mode polymer waveguides with laser-induced submicron index gratings is presented in detail. The filters possess narrowband reflection/transmission spectra in the 1.5 μm telecom wavelength region of 0.2–2.7 nm width, nearly rectangular shape of the stopband, reflectivity R > 99% and negligible radiation losses. They can be used for multiplexing/demultiplexing optical signals in high-speed DWDM fiber networks.
- Erdogan, T., Fiber Grating Spectra, J. Lightwave Technol., 1997, vol. 15, pp. 1277–1294. CrossRef
- Sorin, W.V., Zorabedian, P., and Newton, S.A., J. Lightwave Technol., 1987, vol. 5, p. 1199. CrossRef
- Andreev, A., Zafirova, B., Panajotov, K., and Koprinarova, J., J. Modern Optics, 1996, vol. 43, p. 1111.
- Sokolov, V.I. and Khudobenko, A.I., Narrow-Band Bragg Filters for 1.5-μm Spectral Region Based on Polished-Side Single-Mode Silica Fibres, Quantum Electron., 2003, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 545–546. CrossRef
- Eldada, L. and Shacklette, L.W., Advances in Polymer Integrated Optics, IEEE J. Selected Top. Quantum Electron., 2000, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 54–68. CrossRef
- Wang, W.C., Fisher, M., Yacoubian, A., and Menders, J., Phase-Shifted Bragg Grating Filters in Polymer Waveguides, IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., 2003, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 548–550. CrossRef
- Wong, V.V., Ferrera, J., Damask, J.N., Murphy, T.E., Smith, H.I., and Haus, H.A., Distributed Bragg Grating Integrated-Optical Filters: Synthesis and Fabrication, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 1995, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 2859–2864. CrossRef
- Rodriguez, M.A., Malcuit, M.S., and Butler, J.J., Transmission Properties of Refractive Index-Shifted Bragg Gratings, Optics Commun., 2000, vol. 177, pp. 251–257. CrossRef
- Zhu, L., Huang, Y., Green, W.M.J., and Yariv, A., Polymeric Multi-channel Bandpass Filters in Phase-Shifted Bragg Waveguide Gratings by Direct Electron Beam Writing, Optics Express, 2004, vol. 12, no. 25, pp. 6372–6376. CrossRef
- Zou, H., Beeson, K.W., and Shacklette, L.W., Tunable Planar Polymer Bragg Gratings Having Exceptionally Low Polarization Sensitivity, J. Lightwave Technol., 2003, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1083–1088. CrossRef
- Kogelnik, H., Filter Response of Nonuniform Almost-Periodic Structures, The Bell System Technical Journal, 1976, vol. 55, pp. 109–126.
- Eldada, L., Blomquist, R., Shacklette, L.W., and McFarland, M.J., High-Performance Polymeric Componentry for Telecom and Datacom Applications, Optical Eng., 2000, vol. 39, pp. 596–609. CrossRef
- Agrawal, G.P. and Radic, S., Phase-Shifted Fiber Bragg Gratings and Their Application for Wavelength Demultiplexing, IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., 1994, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 995–997. CrossRef
- Seminogov, V.N., Sokolov, V.I., and Panchenko, V.Ya., Exact Solutions to the Problem of the Wave Diffraction from a Bragg Grating with an Apodized Asymmetric, Symmetric or Antisymmetric Coupling Factor, J. Commun. Technol. Electron., 2006, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 78–86. CrossRef
- Zhou, M., Low-Loss Polymeric Materials for Passive Waveguide Components in Fiber Optical Telecommunication, Optical Eng., 2002, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1631–1643. CrossRef
- Groh, W., Overtone Absorption in Macromolecules for Polymer Optical Fibers, Macromol. Chem., 1998, vol. 189, pp. 2861–2874. CrossRef
- Seminogov, V.N., Khudobenko, A.I., Panchenko, V.Ya., and Sokolov, V.I., New Concept of Single-Mode Resonator for Distributed Feedback Semiconductor and Fiber Lasers, Proc. SPIE, 1995, vol. 2382, pp. 224–234. CrossRef
- Routes to polymer-based photonics
Optical Memory and Neural Networks
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 67-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Allerton Press, Inc.
- Additional Links
- halogenated polymers
- polymer waveguides
- submicron index gratings
- Bragg grating filters