Solitary waves in a viscous liquid film flowing down a thin vertical cylinder
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several equations to describe the flow of a viscous liquid film on a thin cylinder are derived. The solitary-wave solutions to these equations are studied. The families of solutions are constructed for the first two eigenvalues that correspond to single-humped and double-humped waves. It is found that these families become similar as the similarity parameter increases. The dependencies of phase velocities and wave amplitudes on the free parameters of the problem are analyzed. The resulting solutions are compared with solitary waves in films on a flat surface.
- Kapitsa, P. L., Kapitsa, S. P. (1949) Wave Flows of Thin Liquid Layers. Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 19: pp. 105-120
- V. Ya. Shkadov, “Wave Flow Regimes of a Thin Layer of Viscous Fluid Subject to Gravity,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 1, 42–51 (1967) [Fluid Dynamics 2 (1), 29–34 (1967)].
- V. Ya. Shkadov, “Solitary Waves in a Layer of Viscous Liquid,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 1, 63–66 (1977) [Fluid Dynamics 12 (1), 52–55 (1977)].
- Bunov, A. V., Demekhin, E. A., Shkadov, V. Ya. (1984) On the Non-Uniqueness of Nonlinear Wave Solutions in a Viscous Layer. Prikl. Mat. Mekh. 48: pp. 691-699
- A. V. Bunov, E. A. Demekhin, and V. Ya. Shkadov, “Bifurcation of Solitary Waves in a Flowing Layer of Liquid,” Vestn. Mosk. Univ. Ser. 1: Mat. Mekh., No. 2, 73–78 (1986) [Moscow Univ. Mech. Bull. 41 (2), 36–42 (1986)].
- E. A. Demekhin and V. Ya. Shkadov, “On the Theory of Solitons in Systems with Dissipation,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 3, 91–97 (1986) [Fluid Dynamics 21 (3), 415–420 (1986)].
- Demekhin, E. A., Tokarev, G. Yu., Shkadov, V. Ya. (1991) Hierarchy of Bifurcations of Space-Periodic Structures in a Nonlinear Model of Active Dissipative Media. Physica D 52: pp. 338-361 CrossRef
- Quere, D. (1990) Thin Films on Vertical Fibres. Europhys. Lett. 13: pp. 721-726 CrossRef
- Kliakhandler, I. L., Davis, S. H., Bankoff, S. G. (2001) Viscous Beads on Vertical Fibre. J. Fluid Mech. 429: pp. 381-390 CrossRef
- A. E. Kulago, V. P. Shkadova, and V. Ya. Shkadov, “The Hydrodynamic Theory of Application of Thin Coatings onto Traveling Surfaces,” Vestn. Mosk. Univ. Ser. 1: Mat. Mekh., No. 2, 95–100 (1993) [Moscow Univ. Mech. Bull. 48 (2), 51–57 (1993)].
- Trifonov, Yu. Ya. (1992) Steady-State Travelling Waves on the Surface of a Viscous Liquid Film Falling down on Vertical Wires and Tubes. AIChE J. 38: pp. 821-834 CrossRef
- Sisoev, G. M., Craster, R. V., Matar, O. K., Gerasimov, S. V. (2006) Film Flow down a Fibre at Moderate Flow Rates. Chem. Eng. Sci. 61: pp. 7279-7298 CrossRef
- Solitary waves in a viscous liquid film flowing down a thin vertical cylinder
Moscow University Mechanics Bulletin
Volume 63, Issue 5 , pp 122-128
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Allerton Press, Inc.
- Additional Links