Direct measurement of group dispersion of optical components using white-light spectral interferometry
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We present a simple white-light spectral interferometric technique employing a low-resolution spectrometer for a direct measurement of the group dispersion of optical components over a wide wavelength range. The technique utilizes an unbalanced Mach-Zehnder interferometer with a component under test inserted in one arm and the other arm with adjustable path length. We record a series of spectral interferograms to measure the equalization wavelength as a function of the path length difference. We measure the absolute group refractive index as a function of wavelength for a quartz crystal of known thickness and the relative one for optical fiber. In the latter case we use a microscope objective in front and a lens behind the fiber and subtract their group dispersion, which is measured by a technique of tandem interferometry including also a Michelson interferometer.
- W.H. Knox, N.M. Pearson, K.D. Li, and C.A. Hirlimann, “Interferometric measurements of femtosecond group delay in optical components”, Opt. Lett. 13, 574–576 (1988). CrossRef
- S. Diddams and J.C. Diels, “Dispersion measurements with white-light interferometry”, J. Opt. Soc. B13, 1120–1128 (1995).
- M. Galli, F. Marabelli, and G. Gizzetti, “Direct measurement of refractive-index dispersion of transparent media by white-light interferometry”, Appl. Opt. 42, 3910–3914 (2003).
- C. Sainz, P. Jourdain, R. Escalona, and J. Calatroni, “Real time interferometric measurements of dispersion curves”, Opt. Commun. 110, 381–390 (1994). CrossRef
- V.N. Kumar and D.N. Rao, “Using interference in the frequency domain for precise determination of the thickness and refractive indices of normal dispersive materials”, J. Opt. Soc. B12, 1559–1563 (1995).
- Y. Liang and C.H. Grover, “Modified white-light Mach-Zehnder interferometer for direct group-delay measurements”, Appl. Opt. 37, 4105–4111 (1998). CrossRef
- H. Delbarre, C. Przygodzki, M. Tassou, and D. Boucher, “High-precision index measurement in anisotropic crystals using white-light spectral interferometry”, Appl. Phys. B70, 45–51 (2000). CrossRef
- P. Hlubina, “White-light spectral interferometry with the uncompensated Michelson interferometer and the group refractive index dispersion in fused silica”, Opt. Commun. 193, 1–7 (2001). CrossRef
- P. Hlubina and W. Urbanczyk, “Dispersion of the group birefringence of a calcite crystal measured by white-light spectral interferometry”, Meas. Sci. Technol. 16, 1267–1271 (2005). CrossRef
- P. Hlubina and I. Gurov, “Spectral interferograms including the equalization wavelengths processed by autoconvolution method”, Proc. SPIE 5064, 198–205 (2003). CrossRef
- G. Ghosh, “Dispersion-equation coefficients for the refractive index and birefringence of calcite and quartz crystal”, Opt. Commun. 163, 95–102 (1999). CrossRef
- P. Hlubina, D. Ciprian, and L. Knyblová, “Direct measurement of dispersion of the group refractive indices of quartz crystal by white-light spectral interferometry”, Opt. Commun. 269, 8–13 (2007). CrossRef
- Direct measurement of group dispersion of optical components using white-light spectral interferometry
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 144-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- spectral interferometry
- white-light source
- low-resolution spectrometer
- Mach-Zehnder interferometer
- group refractive index
- quartz crystal
- holey fiber
- Industry Sectors