Optoelectronic multiplexer for digital data processing based on lipid crystal pixels and optical fiber elements
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this work, we present an optoelectronic digital multiplexer 4:1 based on a multipixel nematic liquid crystal cell. This device uses two optical control signals to select one among four possible optical data inputs. These data signals are generated by four red LEDs, which are guided through plastic optical fiber towards liquid crystal pixels. For our purpose, only four pixels of the cell will be used to modulate the optical signal across them. Each pixel will be addressed by a square waveform coming from the conditioning circuit managed by a microcontroller system. The electronic control allows the multiplexer to work as as simple two input logical gates such as AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR and XNOR. The operation time of the device is limited by the response time of LC cell that is in the millisecond range.
- J.A. Castellano, Handbook of Display Technology, Academic Press, San Diego, 1992.
- C. Vázquez, J.M.S. Pena, I. Pérez, and S. Vargas, “Optical router for optical fiber sensor networks based on a liquid crystal cell”, IEEE Sensors J. 3, 513–518 (2003). CrossRef
- R.S. McEwen., “Liquid crystals, displays and devices for optical processing”, J. Phys. E: Sci. Instrum. 20, 364–377 (1987). CrossRef
- W. Klaus, Y. Suzuki, M. Tsuchiya, and T. Kamiya, “Accurate predictions of the electrooptic characteristics of homogeneous nematic crystal phase modulators”, CLEO’95, Baltimore, 1995.
- L.E.M. Brackenbury, “Multiplexer as a universal computing element for electro-optic logic systems”, IEE Proc. 137, 305–310 (1990).
- Optoelectronic multiplexer for digital data processing based on lipid crystal pixels and optical fiber elements
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 78-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- optoelectronic digital multiplexer
- optical logic gate
- liquid crystal
- digital processing
- Industry Sectors