Biological efficacy of Trichoderma harzianum isolate to control some fungal pathogens of wheat (Triticum aestivum) in Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici, Fusarium culmorum and F. moniliforme are highly important and widespread pathogens of wheat in Turkey. Trichoderma isolates have been used as biocontrol agents to protect plants against soilborne diseases in several crops. The present work was carried out to evaluate the potential of Trichoderma harzianum isolate T1 as biocontrol agents for G. graminis, F. culmorum and F. moniliforme under field conditions in 2001 and 2002. Quantitative differences were found in microbial number in soil. T. harzianum T1 had considerable effect on population densities of the tested pathogens. The total number of G. graminis, F. culmorum and F. moniliforme were lower in the T. harzianum T1 application made to seed. T. harzianum T1 application to seed had increasing affect on the yield components of wheat through better control over pathogens. The greatest counts of T. harzianum T1 were detected on root segments. Seed application by T. harzianum T1 had increasing effect on yield components of wheat.
- Benitez, T., Delgado-Jarana, J., Rincon, A., Rey, M., Limon, C. (1998) Biofungicides: Trichoderma as a biocontrol agent against phytopathogenic fungi. Recent Res. Dev. Microbiol. 2: pp. 129-150
- Brewer, M.T., Larkin, R.P. (2005) Efficacy of several potential biocontrol organisms against Rhizoctonia solani on potato. Crop Protection. 24: pp. 939-950 CrossRef
- Cook R.J. & Veseth T.J. 1991. Wheat health management. American Phytopathology Soc. St. Paul, MN, USA, 152 pp.
- Elad, Y., Chet, I., Henis, Y.A. (1980) A selective medium for improving quantitative isolation of Trichoderma spp. from soil. Phytoparasitica 9: pp. 245-254
- Elliot, M.L., Jardin, E.A., Batson, W.L., Caceres, J., Brannen, P.M., Howll, C., Benson, M., Conway, K.E., Rothrock, C.S., Schneider, R.W., Ownley, B.H. (2001) Viability and stability of biological control agents on cotton and snap bean seeds. Pest Manag. Sci. 57: pp. 695-706 CrossRef
- Hadar, Y., Chet, I., Henis, Y.A. (1979) Biological control of Rhizoctonia solani damping off with wheat bran culture of Trichoderma harzianum. Phytopathol. 69: pp. 64-68
- Hadar, Y., Harman, G.E., Taylor, A.G. (1984) Evaluation of Trichoderma koningii and T. harzianum from New York soils for biological control of seed rot caused by Pythium spp. Phytopathol. 74: pp. 106-110
- Harman, G.E., Howell, C.R., Viberto, A., Chet, I., Lorito, M. (2004) Trichoderma species opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts. Nature Rev. 2: pp. 43-56 CrossRef
- Johnson L.F. & Curl E.A. 1972. Methods for research on the ecology of soilborne plant pathogens. Burgess Publishing Company, Minneapolis, MN., 132 pp.
- Katan, R. (1980) Trichoderma harzianum, a biocontrol agent effective against Sclerotium rolfsii and Rhizoctonia solani. Phytopathol. 70: pp. 119-121
- Kleifeld, O., Chet, I., Abramsky, M. (1996) The use of Trichoderma 2000 for control of plant diseases. Phytoparasitica 24: pp. 148-149
- Küçük Ç. 2000. Trichoderma harzianum ile toprak kökenli bazı bitki patojenlerinin kontrolü. Yüksek Lisans Tezi. A.Ü. Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, 80 pp.
- Küçük, , Kivanç, M. (2003) Isolation of Trichoderma spp. from Turkey soil and determination of their antifungal features. Turk. J. Biol. 24: pp. 1-7
- Perello, A., Monaco, C., Simon, M.R., Sisterna, M., Bello, G. (2003) Biocontrol efficacy of Trichoderma isolates for tan spot of wheat in Argentina. Crop Protection 22: pp. 1099-1106 CrossRef
- Samuels, G.H. (1986) Trichoderma: A review of biology and systematic of the genus. Mycol Res. 100: pp. 923-935
- Sivan, A., Elad, Y., Chet, I. (1984) Biological control effects of a new isolate of Trichoderma harzianum on Pythium aphanidermatum. Phytopathol. 74: pp. 498-501 CrossRef
- Sivan, A., Chet, I. (1989) Biological control of Fusarium spp in cotton, wheat and muskmelon by Trichoderma harzianum. Phytopathol. 116: pp. 39-47
- Biological efficacy of Trichoderma harzianum isolate to control some fungal pathogens of wheat (Triticum aestivum) in Turkey
Volume 62, Issue 3 , pp 283-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Trichoderma harzianum
- plant pathogens
- yield component