Breast cancer incidence and mortality in Lower Silesia (Poland) between 1984 and 2003 — trends and perspectives
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of the study was to determine the epidemiological characteristics of breast cancers diagnosed among Lower Silesian women between 1984 and 2003. Data from the Lower Silesian Cancer Registry on the incidence and mortality of breast neoplasms in the Lower Silesian province were analyzed. The annual number of breast cancers and cancer-related deaths increased markedly between 1984 and 2003. The non-standardized coefficients of incidence in the large cities of Wroclaw, Legnica, and Walbrzych were markedly higher than in the other counties of the province. The number of tumors detected with diameters ≤5 cm increased from 57% in 1984 to 81% in 2003. The increasing incidence of breast cancer seemed to be mostly related to the socioeconomic characteristics of Lower Silesian women. Although a down-staging due to better care reflects some positive trends, the outlook for breast cancer in Lower Silesia remains unfavorable.
- U. Wojciechowska, J. Didkowska, W. Tarkowski and W. Zatoński: Neoplasms in Poland in 2002, Comprehensive Cancer Centre — Maria Sklodowska-Curie Memorial Institute, Warszawa, 2004 (in Polish).
- International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, 2nd ed., World Health Organization, Geneva, 2005.
- Polish Ministry of Health. Statistical Bulletin of Ministry of Health 2005, Centrum Systemów Informacyjnych Ochrony Zdrowia, Warszawa, 2005 (in Polish).
- J. Keppel, J. Kornafel and J. Błaszczyk: “Mistakes in cancer registration — reasons and results”, Nowotwory, Vol. 45, (1995), pp. 623–630 (in Polish).
- J. Tyczyński, U. Wojciechowska, W. Tarkowski and W. Zatoński: “Evaluation of the completeness and quality of cancer registration in Poland in 1993”, Nowotwory, Vol. 46, (1996), pp. 537–545 (in Polish).
- D.M. Parkin, C.S. Muir, S.L. Whelan, Y.T. Gao, J. Ferlay and J. Powell: Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. VI, IARC Scientific Publication No. 120, Lyon, 1992.
- D.M. Parkin, S.L. Whelan, J. Ferlay, L. Raymond and J. Young: Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. VII, IARC Scientific Publication No. 143, Lyon, 1997.
- D.M. Parkin, S.L. Whelan, J. Ferlay, L. Teppo and D.B. Thomas: Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. VIII, IARC Scientific Publication No. 155, Lyon, 2002.
- L.H. Sobin and C. Wittekind: TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 6th ed., Wiley, New York, 2002.
- J. Błaszczyk, M. Pudełko and K. Cisarż: Neoplasms in Lower Silesian province in 2003, Lower Silesian Cancer Registry, Wroclaw, 2005 (in Polish).
- J.L. Botha, F. Bray, R. Sankila and D.M. Parkin: “Breast cancer incidence and mortality trends in 16 European countries”, Eur. J. Cancer, Vol. 39, (2003), pp. 1718–1729. CrossRef
- V.T. DeVita, S. Hellman and S.A. Rosenberg: Cancer: Principles and practice of oncology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 6th ed., 2001, pp. 1652–1655.
- B. Górski, A. Jakubowska, T. Huzarski et al.: “A high proportion of founder BRCA1 mutations in Polish breast cancer families”, Int. J. Cancer, Vol. 110, (2004), pp. 683–686. CrossRef
- M. Bębenek, A. Rutkowska and J. Błaszczyk: “Familial and inherited breast cancers in Lower Silesia (Poland)”, Centr. Eur. J. Med., Vol. 1, (2006), pp. 261–269. CrossRef
- S.W. Beenken and K.I. Bland: “Breast cancer genetics”, In: C.N. Ellis (Ed.): Inherited cancer syndromes. Current clinical management, Springer-Verlag, New York, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2004, pp. 91–133. CrossRef
- S. Brużewicz, K. Pawlas and A. Luty-Frąckiewicz: “Health parameters of the population of Lower Silesia”, Nowiny Lek., Vol. 73, (2004), pp. 437–441 (in Polish).
- G. Kvale, I. Heuch and G.E. Eide: “A prospective study of reproductive factors and breast cancer. I. Parity”, Am. J. Epidemiol., Vol. 126, (1987), pp. 831–841.
- B.E. Henderson and L. Bernstein: “The international variation in breast cancer rates: an epidemiological assessment”, Breast Cancer Res. Treat., Vol. 18,Suppl. 1, (1991), pp. S11–S17.
- Breast cancer incidence and mortality in Lower Silesia (Poland) between 1984 and 2003 — trends and perspectives
Central European Journal of Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 208-215
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Lower Silesia
- Industry Sectors