Zooplankton of lower Narragansett Bay, 1972–1973
- Elsie E. Hulsizer
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
From January 1972 through December 1973 weekly zooplankton samples were taken in lower Narragansett Bay in connection with a phytoplankton study. Fifty percent (by numbers) of the zooplankton were calanoid copepods, the dominant species beingAcartia clausi. In 1973, individuals of summer-fall zooplankton species were much more numerous than in 1972, butAcartia clausi, the dominant winter-spring species, was equally abundant both years. Release of grazing pressure by zooplankton did not appear to trigger the winter-spring flowering of 1973, but a definite relationship was seen between ctenophores, herbivorous zooplankton and phytoplankton in the summer and fall of 1973. Moderate numbers of zooplankton were present in the winter around the time of the phytoplankton bloom, but the major peaks of biomass and numbers occurred in the spring when water temperatures were on the increase. Zooplankton biomass dropped to near zero in late summer and fall.
- Bishop, J. W. 1967. Feeding rates of the ctenophore,Mnemiopsis leidyi.Chesapeake Sci. 8:259–264. CrossRef
- Bowman, T. E. 1961. The copepod genusAcartia in Chesapeake Bay.Chesapeake Sci. 2:206–207. CrossRef
- Conover, R. J. 1956. Oceanography of Long Island Sound, 1952–1954. VI. Biology ofAcartia clausii andA. tonsa.Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. 15:156–233.
- Cronin, L. E., J. D. Daiber, andE. M. Hulburt. 1962. Quantitative seasonal aspects of zooplankton in the Delaware River Estuary.Chesapeake Sci. 3:63–93. CrossRef
- Deevey, G. B. 1952. Quantity and composition of the zooplankton of Block Island Sound.Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. 13:63–119.
- — 1956. The zooplankton of Long Island Sound.Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. 15:113–155.
- Faber, D. J. 1959. Studies on the Biology of the Zooplankton of Narragansett Bay. M.S. Thesis, University of Rhode Island. 131 pp.
- Frolander, H. T. 1955. The biology of the zooplankton of the Narragansett Bay area. Ph.D. Thesis, Brown University, 94 pp.
- Heinle, D. R. 1966. Production of a calanoid copepod,Acartia tonsa, in the Patuxent River Estuary.Chesapeake Sci. 7:59–74. CrossRef
- Herman, S. S., andJ. A. Mihursky. 1964. Infestation of the copepodAcartia tonsa with the stalked ciliateZoothamnium.Science 146:543–544. CrossRef
- Hitchcock, G. L., and T. J. Smayda. 1976. The importance of light in the initiation of the 1972–1973 winter-spring bloom in Narragansett Bay. In press Limnol. Oceanogr.
- Jeffries, H. P. 1962a. Salinity-space distribution of the estaurine copepod genusEurytemora.Intern. Rev. ges Hydrobiol. 47:291–300. CrossRef
- — 1962b. Succession of twoAcartia species in estuaries.Limnol. Oceanogr. 7:354–364.
- — 1967. Saturation of estuarine zooplankton by congeneric associates, p. 500–508.In G. H. Lauff (ed.). Estuaries, Publ. No. 83, AAAS, Washington, D.C. 757 pp.
- Martin, J. H. 1965. Phytoplankton-zooplankton relationships in Narragansett Bay.Limnol. Oceanogr. 10:185–191. CrossRef
- — 1970. Phytoplankton-zooplankton relationships in Narragansett Bay. IV. The seasonal importance of grazing.Limnol. Oceanogr. 15:413–418.
- Pratt, D. M. 1965. The winter-spring diatom flowering in Narragansett Bay.Limnol. Oceanogr. 10:173–184.
- Sage, L. W., andS. S. Herman, 1972. Zooplankton of the Sandy Hook Bay area, N. J.Chesapeake Sci. 13: 29–39. CrossRef
- Smayda, T. J. 1957. Phytoplankton studies in lower Narragansett Bay.Limnol. Oceanogr. 2:342–359.
- — 1973. The growth ofSkeletonema costatum during a winter-spring bloom in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island.Norw. J. Bot. 20:219–247.
- Williams, L. W. 1906. A list of the Rhode Island Copepoda, Phyllopoda and Ostracoda with new species of copepoda.37th Ann. Rep. R.I. Comm. Int. Fish., Spec. Paper 30:69–79.
- U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Environmental Data Service. 1972. Climatological Data. New England Vol. 84(13):319–334.
- Zooplankton of lower Narragansett Bay, 1972–1973
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 260-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, 02881, Kingston, Rhode Island