Reexamining the link of early childbearing to Marriage and to subsequent fertillty
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Using data from the 1980, 1985, and 1990 Current Population Surveys, we show that the link between early fertility and nonmarital births has become stronger. Women who give birth earlier are increasingly likely to be unmarried. In contrast, we find a weaker association between first births at young (versus older) ages and (1) a rapid pace of subsequent childbearing and (2) higher completed fertility. We discuss possible causes and consequences of these changes.
- Alan Guttmacher Institute. 1994.Sex and America’s Teenagers. New York: The Allan Guttmacher Institute.
- Balakrishnan, T.R., K.V. Rao, K.J. Krotki, and E. Lapierre-Adamacyk. 1988. “Age at First Birth and Lifetime Fertility.”Journal of Biosocial Science 21: 167–74.,
- Bongaarts, J. and R.G. Potter. 1983.Fertility, Biology and Behavior. New York: Academic Press.
- Bumpass, L.L. and R.K. Raley. 1995. “Redefining Single-Parent Families: Cohabitation and Changing Family Reality.”Demography 32:97–109. CrossRef
- Bumpass, L.L., R.K. Raley, and J.A. Sweet. 1995. “The Changing Character of Step families: Implications of Cohabitation and Nonmarital Childbearing.”Demography 32:425–36. CrossRef
- Bumpass, L.L., R.R. Rindfuss, and R.B. Janosik. 1978. “Age and Marital Status at First Birth and the Pace of Subsequent Fertility.”Demography 15:75–86. CrossRef
- Bumpass, L.L., J.A. Sweet, and A. Cherlin. 1991. “The Role of Cohabitation in Declining Rates of Marriage.”Journal of Marriage and the Family 53:913–27. CrossRef
- Campbell, A.A. 1968. “The Role of Family Planning in the Reduction of Poverty.”Journal of Marriage and the Family 30:236–45. CrossRef
- Chen, R. and S.P. Morgan. 1991. “Recent Trends in First Birth Timing in the United States: An Update and Examination of Earlier Projections.”Demography 28:513–33. CrossRef
- Davis, K. 1939. “Illegitimacy and the Social Structure.”American Journal of Sociology 45:215–33. CrossRef
- Dunkle, M.C. 1990. “Schools Today Aren’t Making the Grade.”Public Welfare 48:9–15
- Espenshade, T.J. 1985. “Marriage Trends in America: Estimates, Implications, and Underlying Causes.”Population and Development Review 11:193–245. CrossRef
- Furstenberg, F.F. 1976.Unplanned Parenthood. New York: Free Press.
- Furstenberg, EF., J. Brooks-Gunn, and S.P. Morgan. 1987.Adolescent Mothers in Later Life. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Geronimus, A.T. and S. Korenman. 1992. “The Socioeconomic Consequences of Teen Childbearing Reconsidered.”Quarterly Journal of Economics 107:1187–214. CrossRef
- Gerson, K. 1985.Hard Choices: How Women Decide About Work, Career and Motherhood. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Hof ferth, S.L. 1991. “Programs for High Risk Adolescents: What Works?”Evaluation and Program Planning 14:3–16. CrossRef
- Kost, K. and J.D. Forrest. 1995. “Intention Status of U.S. Births in 1988: Differences by Mothers’ Socioeconomic and Demographic Characteristics.”Family Planning Perspectives 27:1117. CrossRef
- Luker, K. 1996.Dubious Conceptions: The Politics of Teenage Pregnancy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Mare, R.D. 1995. “Changes in Educational Attainment and School Enrollment.” Pp. 155–213 inThe State of the Union: America in the 1990’s, edited by R. Farley. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Marini, M.M. and P.J. Hodsdon. 1981. “Effects of Timing of Marriage and First Birth on the Spacing of Subsequent Births.”Demography 18:529–48. CrossRef
- McLaughlin, S.D., W.R. Grady, J.O.G. Billy, N.S. Landale, and L.D. Winges. 1986. “The Effects of Sequencing Marriage and First Birth During Adolescence.”Family Planning Perspectives 18:12–18. CrossRef
- Menken, J., J. Trussell, and U. Larsen. 1986. “Age and Fertility.”Science 233:1389–94. CrossRef
- Millman, S.R. and G.E. Hendershot. 1980. “Early Fertility and Lifetime Fertility.”Family Planning Perspectives 12:139–49. CrossRef
- Morgan, S.P. 1996. “Characteristic Features of Modem American Fertility.”Population and Development Review 22(Suppl.):1963. CrossRef
- Morgan, S.P., A. McDaniel, A. Miller, and S. Preston. 1993. “Racial Differences in Family Structure at the Tum of the Century.”American Journal of Sociology 98:798–828. CrossRef
- Mott, F.L. 1986. “The Pace of Repeated Childbearing Among Young American Mothers.”Family Planning Perspectives 18:512. CrossRef
- Namboodiri, N.K. 1972. “Some Observations on the Economic Framework for Fertility Analysis.”Population Studies 26:185206.
- Oppenheimer, V.K. 1994. “Women’s Rising Employment and the Future of the Family in Industrial Societies.”Population and Development Review 20:293–342. CrossRef
- Oppenheimer, V.K., M. Kalmijn, and N. Lim. 1997. “Men’s Career Development and Marriage Timing During a Period of Rising Inequality.”Demography 34:311–30. CrossRef
- Ornstein, A.C. 1980. “An Update on Student Rights.”High School Journal 64:60–64.
- Pagnini, D. and S.P. Morgan. 1996. “Racial Differences in Marriage and Childbearing: Oral History Evidence From the Early Twentieth Century South.”American Journal of Sociology 101:1694–718. CrossRef
- Pagnini, D. and R.R. Rindfuss. 1993. “The Divorce of Marriage and Childbearing: Changing Behavior and Attitudes.”Population and Development Review 19:331–47. CrossRef
- Parnell, A.M., G. Swicegood, and G. Stevens. 1994. “Nonmarital Pregnancies and Marriage in the United States.”Social Forces 73:263–87. CrossRef
- Raftery, A.E. 1986. “Choosing Models for Cross-Classifications.”American Sociological Review 51: 145–46. CrossRef
- — 1995. “Bayesian Model Selection in Social Research.”Sociological Methodology 25: 111–63. CrossRef
- Rindfuss, R.R. 1991. “The YoungAdult Years: Diversity, Structural Change and Fertility.”Demography 28:493–512. CrossRef
- Rindfuss, R.R. and L.L. Bumpass. 1978. “Age and the Sociology of Fertility: How Old is Too Old?” Pp. 43–56 inSocial Demography, edited by K.E. Taeuber, L.L. Bumpass, and J.A. Sweet. New York: Academic Press.
- Rindfuss, R.R., L.L. Bumpass, and C. St. John. 1980. “Education and Fertility: Implications for the Roles Women Occupy.”American Sociological Review 45:431–47. CrossRef
- Rindfuss, R.R., S.P. Morgan, and K. Offutt. 1996. “Education and the Changing Age Pattern of American Fertility: 1963-89.”Demography 33:277–90. CrossRef
- Rodriguez, G., J. Hobcraft, J. McDonald, J. Menken, and J. Trussell. 1984. “A Comparative Analysis of Determinants of Birth Intervals.”WFS Comparative Studies 30. Voorburg, Netherlands: International Statistical Institute.
- Rosenfeld, R. 1996. “Women’s Work Histories.”Population and Development Review 22 (Suppl.):19–63. CrossRef
- Ryder, N.B. 1973. “Recent Trends and Group Differences in Fertility.” Pp. 57–68 inToward the End of Growth: Population in America. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- — 1980. “Components of Temporal Variations in American Fertility.” Pp. 11–54 inDemographic Patterns in Developed Societies, edited by R.W. Hiorns. London: Taylor and Francis.
- Ryder, N.B. and C.F. Westof f. 1966. “Use of the Oral Contraceptive in the United States, 1965.”Science 153:1199–205. CrossRef
- Smith, H.L., S.P. Morgan, and T. Koropeckyj-Cox. 1996. “A Decomposition of Trends in the Nonmarital Fertility Ratios of Blacks and Whites in the United States, 1960-92.”Demography 33:141–51. CrossRef
- Swicegood, CiG. and S.P. Morgan. 1994. “Racial and Ethnic Fertility Differentials in the United States.” Paper presented at the 13th Albany Conference: American Diversity, “A Demographic Challenge for the Twenty-First Century.” State University of New York at Albany, ApriI15-16.
- Teachman, J.D. and D.A. Heckert. 1985. “The Declining Significance of First-Birth Timing.”Demography 22:185–98. CrossRef
- Trussell, J. and J. Menken. 1978. “Early Childbearing and Subsequent Fertility.”Family Planning Perspectives 10:209–18. CrossRef
- Trussell, J., L.G. Martin, R. Feldman, J.A. Palmore, M. Conception, and D. Noor Laily Bt. Abu Bakar. 1985. “Determinants of Birth-Interval Length in the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia: A Hazard Model.”Demography 22:145–69. CrossRef
- Tsui, A.O. 1982. “The Family Formation Process Among U.S. Marriage Cohorts.”Demography 19:1–27. CrossRef
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 1995.Report to the Congress on Out-of -Wedlock Childbearing. DHHS Pub. No. (PHS) 95-1257. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
- Waite, L.J. 1995. “Does Marriage Matter?”Demography 32:483507. CrossRef
- Westof f, C.F. 1976. “The Decline of Unplanned Births in the United States.”Science 191:38–41. CrossRef
- Westoff, C.P. and N.B. Ryder. 1977.The Contraceptive Revolution. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Reexamining the link of early childbearing to Marriage and to subsequent fertillty
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 59-75
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors