The accuracy of survey-reported marital status: Evidence from survey records matched to social security records
- David A. Weaver
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Researchers have concluded that divorced persons often fail to report accurate marital information in surveys. I revisit this issue using surveys matched exactly to Social Security data. Older divorced persons frequently misreport their marital status, but there is evidence that the misreporting is unintentional. I offer some suggestions on how surveys can be improved.
- Espenshade, T.J. 1983. “Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage From Retrospective Data: A Multiregional Approach.” Environment and Planning A 15:1633–52. CrossRef
- Holden, K.C. 1992. “SIPP and the Measurement of Income Transitions Among the Elderly: Limits and Suggestions for Modifications.” Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 18:193–212.
- Martin, T.C. and L.L. Bumpass. 1989. “Recent Trends in Marital Disruption.” Demography 26:37–51. CrossRef
- Preston, S.H. and J. McDonald. 1979. “The Incidence of Divorce Within Cohorts of American Marriages Contracted Since the Civil War.” Demography 16:1–25. CrossRef
- Thornton, A. and W.L. Rodgers. 1987. “The Influence of Individual and Historical Time on Marital Dissolution.” Demography 24:1–22. CrossRef
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1966. U.S. Census of Population: 1960, Subject Reports, Marital Status, Final Report PC(2)-4E. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 1985. “Women and Social Security.” Social Security Bulletin 48:17–26.
- The accuracy of survey-reported marital status: Evidence from survey records matched to social security records
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 395-399
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- David A. Weaver (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Economic Research, Social Security Administration, 9th floor, ITC Building, 500 E Street SW, 20254-0001, Washington, DC