Demographic consequences of the 1984–1985 Ethiopian famine
- Asmerom Kidane
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article analyzes demographic responses to the 1984–1985 Ethiopian famine and compares them with Bongaarts and Cain’s (1982) hypothesized responses. After briefly describing the data collection, I estimate the age distribution and the age-specific mortality and fertility rates of Ethiopian famine victims in a resettlement area and compare these with mortality estimates for the 1972–1973 Bangladesh famine and with fertility estimates from the 1981 Ethiopian demographic survey. The results show that the mortality rate among Ethiopian famine victims was about seven times higher than the rate among the Bangladesh victims and that the Ethiopian famine-related mortality was general and not a function of household socioeconomic variables. The data also show a 26 percent lower total fertility rate among famine victims.
- Bangladesh. 1982. Age-Specific Mortality by Sex, May 1972–April 1973, technical report. Decca, Bangladesh: Demographic Surveillance System.
- Bongaarts, J., and M. Cain. 1982. Demographic responses to famine. In K. M. Cahill (ed.), Famine. New York: Mary Knoll.
- Central Statistics Office. 1963-1984. Statistical Abstracts (annual series). Addis Ababa: Central Statistics Office of Ethiopia.
- — 1985. Report on the Results of the 1981 Demographic Survey, Statistical Bulletin 46. Addis Ababa: Central Statistics Office of Ethiopia.
- Kidane, A. 1983. Estimating Streams of Immigrants to Addis Ababa. Unpublished manuscript, Addis Ababa University, Dept. of Statistics.
- Kidane, A. 1986. Demographic Consequences of the 1984–1985 Ethiopian Famine. Unpublished manuscript, Addis Ababa University, Dept. of Statistics.
- McCan, J. 1987. From Poverty to Famine in North West Ethiopia: A Rural History, 1900–1935. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Robinson, W. C., and F. Yamazaki. 1986. Agriculture, population and economic planning in Ethiopia, 1953–1980. Journal of Developing Areas 20:327–338.
- Watkins, S., and J. Menken. 1985. Famine in historical perspective. Population and Development Review 11:647–675. CrossRef
- Demographic consequences of the 1984–1985 Ethiopian famine
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 515-522
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Asmerom Kidane (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Statistics, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia