Reproductive patterns and child mortality in guatemala
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we investigate the association of child mortality with maternal age, parity, birth spacing, and socioeconomic status, in a sample of Guatemalan children who were included in a public health intervention program. Our results indicate that maternal age, birth order, and the length of the previous and following birth intervals all have a significant impact on the risk of child mortality and that these associations cannot be accounted for by differences in breastfeeding, socioeconomic status, or the survival status of the previous child.
- Clark, C. M. 1981. Description of the Household Composition and Income Files Created From the INCAP-Rand Guatemalan Survey Data (Note N-1625-AID). Santa Monica, Calif.: Rand Corp.
- Cleland, J., and Z. Sathar. 1984. The Effect of Birth Spacing on Childhood Mortality in Pakistan (World Fertility Survey TECH 2163). Voorburg, Netherlands: International Statistical Institute.
- DaVanzo, J., W. P. Butz, and J.-P. Habicht. 1983. How biological and behavioural influences on mortality in Malaysia vary during the first year of life. Population Studies 37:381–402. CrossRef
- Delgado, H., E. Brineman, A. Lechtig, J. Bongaarts, R. Martorell, and R. E. Klein. 1979. Effects of maternal nutritional status and infant supplementation during lactation on postpartum amenorrhea. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 135:303–307.
- Hobcraft, J., N. Goldman, and V. C. Chidambaram. 1982. Advances in the P/F ratio method for the analysis of birth histories. Population Studies 36:291–316. CrossRef
- Hobcraft, J., J. McDonald, and S. Rutstein. 1984. Demographic Determinants of Infant and Early Child Mortality: A Comparative Analysis (World Fertility Survey TECH 2370). Voorburg, Netherlands: International Statistical Institute.
- Lechtig, A., and R. E. Klein. 1979. Effects of food supplementation during pregnancy and lactation on infant mortality, morbidity and physical growth. Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutrición 29(4, Suppl. 1):99–142.
- Leridon, H. 1977. Human Fertility: The Basic Components. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Martin, L. G., J. Trussell, F. R. Salvail, and N. Shah. 1983. Covariates of child mortality in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Pakistan: An analysis based on hazard models. Population Studies 37:417–432. CrossRef
- Nortman, D. 1974. Parental age as a factor in pregnancy outcome and child development. Reports on Population/Family Planning No. 16:9–51.
- Pebley, A. R. 1984. Intervention projects and the study of socioeconomic determinants of mortality. Population and Development Review 10(Suppl.):281–306. CrossRef
- Pebley, A. R., E. Brineman, and H. Delgado. 1979. Family sex composition preferences among Guatemalan men and women. Journal of Marriage and the Family 10(4):129–136.
- Rutstein, S. 1984. Infant and Child Mortality: Levels, Trends and Demographic Differentials (World Fertility Survey Comparative Studies No. 24). Voorburg, Netherlands: International Statistical Institute.
- Thapa, S., and R. Retherford. 1982. Infant mortality estimates based on the 1976 Nepal Fertility Survey. Population Studies 36:61–80. CrossRef
- Trussell, J., and C. Hammerslough. 1983.A hazards-model analysis of the covariates of infant and child mortality in Sri Lanka. Demography 20:1–26. CrossRef
- Trussell, J., L. G. Martin, R. Feldman, J. A. Palmore, M. Concepcion, and D. N. L. Bt. D.’A. Bakar. 1985. Determinants of birth-interval length in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia: A hazard-model analysis. Demography 22:145–168. CrossRef
- Winikoff, B. 1983. The effects of birth spacing on child and maternal health. Studies in Family Planning 14(10):231–245. CrossRef
- Wolfers, D., and S. Scrimshaw. 1975. Child survival and intervals between pregnancies in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Population Studies 29:479–496. CrossRef
- Reproductive patterns and child mortality in guatemala
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 43-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors