Changing patterns of first marriage in the United States
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Carter, H. and P. C. Glick. 1976. Marriage and Divorce: A Social and Economic Study. Revised Edition. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Cherlin, A. J. 1981. Marriage, Divorce, Remarriage. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Coale, A. J. 1971. Age patterns of marriage. Population Studies 25:193–214. CrossRef
- Glick, P. C., D. M. Heer and J. C. Beresford. 1963. Family formation and family compositions: trends and prospects. In M. B. Sussman (ed.), Sourcebook in Marriage and the Family, Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Glick, P. C. and A. J. Norton. 1977. Marrying, divorcing and living together in the U.S. today. Population Bulletin 32.
- Hajnal, J. 1953. The marriage boom. Population Index 19:80–101. CrossRef
- Hernes, G. 1972. The process of entry into first marriage. American Sociological Review 37:173–182. CrossRef
- Isaac, L., P. Cutright, E. Jackson and W. R. Kelly. 1982. Period effects on race- and parity-specific birth probabilities of American women, 1917–1976: a new measure of fertility. Social Science Research 11:176–200. CrossRef
- Kitagawa, E. M. and P. M. Hauser. 1973. Differential Mortality in the United States: A Study in Socioeconomic Epidemiology. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- McDonald, P. F. 1981. Marriage and divorce in Australia. Unpublished manuscript of the Department of Demography. The Australian National University.
- Modell, J., F. F. Furstenberg, Jr., and D. Strong. 1978. The timing of marriage in the transition to adulthood: continuity and change, 1860–1975. In J. Demos and S. Boocok (eds.), Turning Points: Historical and Sociological Essays on the Family. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Namboodiri, N. K. 1981. On factors affecting fertility at different stages in the reproduction history: an exercise in cohort analysis. Social Forces 59:1114–1129. CrossRef
- National Center for Health Statistics. various years. Advance, Final and Summary Report Statistics, Vol. 23, No: 2 Supplement 1, 1974; Vol. 23, No.7 Supplement 2, 1974; Vol. 23, No. 12 Supplement 3, 1975; 1978; Vol. 28, No.4 Supplement, 1979; Vol. 29, No.6 Supplement I, 1980; Vol. 30, No.4 Supplement, 1981; Vol. 32, No.5 Supplement, 1983.
- Norton, A. J. and P. C. Glick. 1976. Marital instability: past, present, and future. Journal of Social Issues 32:5–20. CrossRef
- Potter, R. G., Jr. 1969. Use effectiveness of intrauterine contraception as a problem in competing risks. Pp. 458–484 in R. Freedman and J. Y. Takeshita, Family Planning in Taiwan. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Rele, J. R. 1965. Trends and differentials in the American age at marriage. Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly 43:219–234. CrossRef
- Rodgers, W. L. 1982a. Estimable functions of age, period, and cohort effects. American Sociological Review 47:774–787. CrossRef
- Rodgers, W. L. 1982b. Reply to Smith, Mason, and Fienberg. American Sociological Review 47:793–796. CrossRef
- Rodgers, W. L. and A. Thornton. 1982. Changing patterns of first marriage in the United States. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, California.
- Roussell, L. and P. Festy. 1979. Recent trends in attitudes and behaviour affecting the family in Council of Europe member states. Population Studies No. 4. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Saveland, W. and P. C. Glick. 1969. First marriage decrement tables by color and sex for the United States 1958–1960. Demography 6:243–260. CrossRef
- Schoen, R. 1983. Measuring the tightness of the marriage squeeze. Demography 20:61–78. CrossRef
- Smith, H. L., W. M. Mason and S. E. Fienberg. 1982. More chimeras of the age-period-cohort accounting framework: Comment on Rodgers. American Sociological Review 47:787–793. CrossRef
- Thornton, A. 1985. Changing attitudes towards separation and divorce: causes and consequences. American Journal of Sociology 90:856–872. CrossRef
- Thornton, A. and D. Freedman. 1982. Changing attitudes toward marriage and single life. Family Planning Perspectives 14:297–303. CrossRef
- Thornton, A. and D. Freedman. 1983.The changing American family. Population Bulletin 38.
- Thornton, A. and W. L. Rodgers. 1983. Changing patterns of marriage and divorce in the United States. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan.
- Thornton, A. and W. L. Rodgers. 1984. Marital instability and individual, family, and historical time. Paper presented at annual meeting of the Population Association of America.
- United Nations. 1979. Demographic Yearbook: Historical Supplement. New York: United Nations.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1966. U.S. Census of the Population: 1960. Subject Reports: Age at First Marriage. Final Report PC(2)-40. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1972. Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage by year of Birth: June, 1971. Current Population Reports, Series P-20, No. 239. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1973. U.S. Census of the Population: 1970. Subject Reports: Age at First Marriage. Final Report PC(2)-40. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1976. Number, Timing, and Duration of Marriages and Divorces in the United States: June, 1975. Current Population Reports, Series P-20, No. 297. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. Undated. Current Population Survey, June, 1980: Tape Technical Documentation, Unpublished document. Washington, D.C.: Data Users Services Division, Bureau of the Census.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. various years. Current Population Reports, Population Characteristics: Marital Status and Living Arrangements: Series P-20 (Nos. 225, 242, 255, 271, 287, 306, 323, 338, 349, 365, 372, 376, 380, 389); Estimates and Projections, Series P-25, Nos. 917, 929, 952.
- Changing patterns of first marriage in the United States
Volume 22, Issue 2 , pp 265-279
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors