Changes in widowhood and divorce and expected durations of marriage
- Noreen Goldman
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new interpretation of mathematical formulas developed by Keyfitz illustrates how the concept of entropy (H) can be applied to the analysis of marriage dissolution. The quantities H (divorce) and H (widowhood) indicate the changes in marriage duration which would result from small, constant changes in duration-specific divorce and widowhood rates, respectively. An examination of values for the United States, Nepal and Colombia illustrates the utility of H (i) in assessing the impact of changes in widowhood and divorce and clarifies the relationship between H and changes in life expectancy.
- Abramowitz, M. and I. Stegun (ed.). 1965. Handbook of Mathematical Functions. New York: Dover Publications.
- Arthur, W. B. 1981. The Analysis of Causal Linkages in Demographic Theory. RR-81-27. Laxenburg, Austria: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Coale, A. J. and P. Demeny. 1966. Regional Model Life Tables and Stable Populations. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Goldman, N. and G. Lord. 1983. Sex Differences in Life Cycle Measures of Widowhood. Demography 20:177–196. CrossRef
- Keyfitz, N. 1971. Linkages of Intrinsic to Age Specific Rates. Journal of the American Statistical Association 66:275–281. CrossRef
- — 1977a. Applied Mathematical Demography. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Keyfitz, N. 1977b.Cause of Death in Future Mortality. International Union for the Scientific Study of Population, International Population Conference, Mexico.
- Preston, S. H. 1974. Effects of Mortality Change in Stable Population Parameters. Demography 11: 119–130. CrossRef
- — 1975. Estimating the Proportion of American Marriages that End in Divorce. Sociological Methods and Research: 3:435–460. CrossRef
- —, N. Keyfitz and R. Schoen. 1972.Causes of Death: Life Tables for National Populations. New York: Seminar Press.
- United Nations. Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. 1980. Population of Nepal. Bangkok: Country Monograph Series No.6.
- United Nations. Demographic Yearbook, 1979. 1980. New York.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1971. Social and Economic Variations in Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage: 1967. Current Population Reports, Series P-20, No. 223.
- U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Public Health Service. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Statistics of the United States. Various years.
- Weed, J. A. 1980. National Estimates of Marriage Dissolution and Survivorship, United States. Vital and Health Statistics, Series 3, No. 19. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
- Changes in widowhood and divorce and expected durations of marriage
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 297-307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Noreen Goldman (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Office of Population Research, Princeton University, 08544, Princeton, New Jersey