The reproductive cycle of the bay scallop, Argopecten irradians irradians (Lamarck), in a small coastal embayment on Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The spawning activity of the bay scallop Argopecten irradians irradians (Lamarck) was monitored from May through September in a small embayment on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and compared with changes in hydrographic conditions. Spawning activity of bay scallops began in May and continued through July with some minor activity occurring during August and September. Activity was most closely related to changes in ambient temperature and occurred predominantly before the summer maximum temperature was recorded. As temperatures declined in the late summer and early fall, increased gametogenic activity was evident. A longer period of spawning activity was observed than was previously reported for New England waters.
- Belding, D. L. 1910. A report upon the bay scallop fishery of Massachusetts, including the habits, and life history of Pecten irradians, its rate of growth, and other factors of economic value. Mass. Comm. Fish and Game, Mar. Fish. Ser., Spec. Rept. No. 3, 150 p.
- Belding, D. L. 1931. The scallop fisheries of Massachusetts. Comm. Mass., Dept. Conserv., Div. Fish and Game, Mar. Fish. Ser., No. 2.
- Brousseau, D. J. 1978. Spawning cycle, fecundity, and recruitment in a population of soft-shell clam, Mya arenaria from Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Fish. Bull. 76:155–166.
- Clarke, A. H. 1965. The scallop superspecies Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Malacologia 2:161–188.
- Coe, W. R., and H. J. Turner. 1938. Development of the gonads and gametes of the soft-shell clam (Mya arenaria). J. Morph. 62(1):91–111. CrossRef
- Gutsell, J. S. 1930. Natural history of the bay scallop. U.S. Bur. Fish. Bull. 46:569–632.
- Humason, G. L. 1962. Animal Tissue Techniques. W. H. Freeman and Co. 561 p.
- Marshall, N. 1960. Studies of the Niantic River, Connecticut, with special reference to the bay scallop, Aequipecten irradians. Limnol. Oceanogr. 5:86–105. CrossRef
- Merrill, A. S., and J. B. Burch. 1960. Hermaphroditism in the sea scallop, Placopecten magellanicus (Gmelin). Biol. Bull. 119:197–201. CrossRef
- Quayle, D. B. 1952. Sex, gonad development, and seasonal gonad changes in Paphia staminea (Conrad). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 62:140–151.
- Robert, G. 1978. Biological assessment of the bay scallop (Aequipecten irradians) for maritime waters. Fish. and Mar. Sci. Tech. Rept. No. 778, Dept. Fisheries and Environment, Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada, 14 p.
- Ropes, J. W., and A. P. Stickney. 1965. Reproductive cycle of Mya arenaria in New England. Biol. Bull. 128:315–327. CrossRef
- Sastry, A. N. 1963. Reproduction of the bay scallop, Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Influence of temperature on maturation and spawning. Biol. Bull. 125:146–153. CrossRef
- Sastry, A. N. 1966. Temperature effects on reproduction of the bay scallop, Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Biol. Bull. 130:118–134. CrossRef
- Sastry, A. N. 1968. The relationships among food, temperature, and gonad development of the bay scallop Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Physiol. Zool. 41:44–53.
- Shaw, W. N. 1964. Seasonal gonadal changes in the female soft-shell clam, Mya arenaria, in the Tred Avon River, Maryland. Proc. Nat'l. Shellfish. Assoc. 53:121–132.
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce, N.O.A.A. 1979. Fisheries of the United States. Current Fisheries Statistics. No. 7800.
- The reproductive cycle of the bay scallop, Argopecten irradians irradians (Lamarck), in a small coastal embayment on Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 431-435
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links