Marine fishes of Virginia’s eastern shore (Inlet and marsh, seaside waters)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A small trawl and beach seine survey was made, June 1965–July 1966, of marine fishes inhabiting 27 selected stations in seaside waters of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. Seventy species were collected, 47 by trawl and 52 by seine. Eleven species are considered resident. Ten species made up 97.8% of the total number collected withMenidia menidia being the most abundant. A checklist of 96 species known to inhabit the area is given with hydrographic and distribution details for each species when known. Species assemblages by seasons for inlet, midchannel, inshore beaches, and tidal creeks are also given in tabular form.
- Arve, J. (1960) Preliminary report on attracting fish by oyster-shell plantings in Chincoteague Bay, Maryland. Chesapeake Sci. 1: pp. 58-58 CrossRef
- Bailey, R. M., Lachner, E. A., Lindsey, C. C., Robins, C. R., Roedel, P. M., Scott, W. B., Woods, L. P. (1960) A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Amer. Fish. Soc. Publ. 2: pp. 1-102
- Cargo, D. G. (1958) The migration of adult female blue crabs,Callinectes sapidus Rathbun, in Chincoteague Bay and adjacent waters. J. Mar. Res. 16: pp. 180-191
- Fowler, H. W. (1912) Records of fish for the middle Atlantic states and Virginia. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci., Phila. 64: pp. 56-59
- Fowler, H. W. (1913) Notes on fishes of the Chincoteague Region of Virginia. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci., Phila. 65: pp. 61-65
- Fowler, H. W. (1918) Fishes from the middle Atlantic states and Virginia. Occ. Pap. Mus. Zool., Univ. Mich. 56: pp. 14-19
- Fowler, H. W. (1927) Notes on fishes at Chincoteague, Virginia, 1926. Copeia 165: pp. 89-90
- Hoese, H. D. (1962) Sharks and rays of Virginia’s seaside bays. Chesapeake Sci. 3: pp. 166-172 CrossRef
- Hoese, H. D., Richards, C. E., Castagna, M. (1961) Appearance of the gag,Mycteroperca microlepis, in coastal waters of Virginia. Chesapeake Sci. 2: pp. 104-105 CrossRef
- LUGGER, O. 1877. Additions to the list of fishes of Maryland.Rept. Comm. Fish. Md. 1877, p. 57–94.
- LUGGER, O. 1878. Additions to the list of fishes of Maryland.Rept. Comm. Fish. Md. 1878, p. 107–125.
- PACHECO, A. L. and G. C. GRANT. 1965. Studies of the early life history of Atlantic menhaden in estuarine nurseries. Part I-Seasonal occurrence of juvenile menhaden and other small fishes in a tributary creek of Indian River, Delaware, 1957–58. U. S. Fish Wildl. Serv., Spec. Sci. Rep.-Fish. 504, 32 p.
- Pritchard, D. W. (1960) Salt balance and exchange rate for Chincoteague Bay. Chesapeake Sci. 1: pp. 48-57 CrossRef
- Richards, C. E. (1965) Availability patterns of marine fishes caught by charter boats operating off Virginia’s Eastern Shore, 1955–1962. Chesapeake Sci. 6: pp. 96-108 CrossRef
- Richards, C. E. (1967) Age, growth, and fecundity of the cobia,Rachycentron canadum, from Chesapeake Bay and adjacent mid-Atlantic waters. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 96: pp. 343-350 CrossRef
- Richards, C. E., Bailey, R. L. (1967) Occurrence ofFundulus luciae, spotfin killifish, on the seaside of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. Chesapeake Sci. 8: pp. 204-205 CrossRef
- Schwartz, F. J. (1961) Fishes of Chincoteague and Sinepuxent Bays. Amer. Midl. Nat. 65: pp. 384-408 CrossRef
- Schwartz, F. J. (1964) Fishes of Isle of Wight and Assawoman Bays near Ocean City, Maryland. Chesapeake Sci. 5: pp. 172-193 CrossRef
- UHLER, P. R. and O. LUGGER, 1876. List of fishes of Maryland.Rept. Comm. Fish. Med. 1876, p. 67–176.
- Marine fishes of Virginia’s eastern shore (Inlet and marsh, seaside waters)
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 235-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links