Growth of young oyster crabs,Pinnotheres ostreum Say, reared in the laboratory
- Paul A. Sandifer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pre-hard juvenile oyster crabs,Pinnotheres ostreum, were reared from the egg in the laboratory. A minimum of 18 days was required for larval development, after which the young crabs passed through several (up to 10) growth molts during 103 days. Survivors ranged from 0.82 to 1.61 mm in carapace width at the end of the experiment. Mean growth (measured as mean increase in carapace width) ranged from about 10 to 18% of the previous carapace width for each of the first six postlarval molts.
- BEACH, N. W. 1969. The oyster crab,Pinnotheres ostreum Say, in the vicinity of Beaufort, North Carolina.Crustaceana 17:187–199. CrossRef
- CHRISTENSEN, A. M., and J. J. McDERMOTT. 1958. Life-history and biology of the oyster crab,Pinnotheres ostreum Say.Biol. Bull. 114:146–179. CrossRef
- DEAN, D. and P. A. HATFIELD. 1963. Holding small aquatic invertebrates for observation.Turtox News 41:43.
- GRAY, I. E., 1961. Changes in abundance of the commensal crabs ofChaetopterus.Biol. Bull. 120:353–359. CrossRef
- McDERMOTT, J. J. 1961. The incidence and host-parasite relations of pinnotherid crabs in bivalve molluscs of New Jersey.Ecol. Soc. America, Bull. 42:82.
- McDERMOTT, J. J. 1962. The incidence and host-parasite relations of pinnotherid crabs (Decapoda, Pinnotheridae). Proc. First Nat. Coastal and Shallow Water Res. Conf., October, 1961:162–164.
- SANDIFER, P. A., and W. A. VAN ENGEL. 1970.Modiolus demissus: a new host for the oyster crab,Pinnotheres ostreum, in Virginia.The Veliger 13:145–146.
- SANDOZ, M., and S. H. HOPKINS. 1947. Early life history of the oyster crabPinnotheres ostreum (Say).Biol. Bull. 93:250–258. CrossRef
- STAUBER, L. A. 1945.Pinnotheres ostreum, parasitic on the american oyster,Ostrea (Gryphaea) virginica.Biol. Bull. 88:269–291. CrossRef
- Growth of young oyster crabs,Pinnotheres ostreum Say, reared in the laboratory
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 221-222
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Paul A. Sandifer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Virginia Institute of Marine Science, 23062, Gloucester Point, Virginia