Aspects of an undescribed reproductive behavior inFundulus heteroclitus (Pisces: Cyprinodontae) from Virginia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Large numbers of eggs ofFundulus heteroclitus have been found in shells of the intertidal mussel,Modiolus demissus, near Wachapreague, Virginia, during six consecutive summers and in Brown’s Bay, Vírgínia, during 1972. Egg deposition in shells in aquaria has been observed. This behavior may serve to protect the eggs from predation. In nature the eggs in shells are exposed to high temperatures and desiccation for long periods during lower tide levels. Hatching has occurred in 14 to 17 day under these conditions. Eggs taken from mussel shells and eggs stripped and fertilized in the laboratory did not have chorionic filaments or the filaments were greatly reduced in number and length. The habit of egg deposition in shells and the morphology of the eggs are different from that reported forF. heteroclitus from Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
- Abbott, R. T. 1954. American seashells. Van Nostrand Co., New York, 541 p.
- Armstrong, P. B., andJ. S. Child. 1965. Stages in the normal development ofFundulus heteroclitus.Biol. Bull. 128:143–168. CrossRef
- Brummett, A. R. 1966. Observations on the eggs and breeding season ofFundulus heteroclitus at Beaufort, North Carolina.Copeia 3:616–621. CrossRef
- Chidester, F. E. 1920. The behavior ofFundulus heteroclitus on the salt marshes of New Jersey.Amer. Nat. 54:551–557. CrossRef
- Costello, D. P., M. W. Davidson, A. Eggers, M. H. Fox andC. Henley. 1957. Method for obtaining and handling marine eggs and embryos. Marine Biol. Lab., Woods Hole, Mass. 247 p.
- Foster, N. R. 1967. Comparative studies on the biology of killifishes (Pisces, Cyprinodontidae). Ph.D. dissertation, Cornell Univ. 369 p.
- Harrington, R. W., Jr. 1959. Delayed hatching in stranded eggs of marsh killifish,Fundulus confluentus.Ecology 40:430–437. CrossRef
- Miller, R. R. 1955. An annotated list of the American cyprinodontid fishes of the genusFundulus, with the description ofFundulus persimilis, from Yucatan.Occ. Pap. Mus. Zool. Univ. Mich. 568:1–25.
- Newman, H. N. 1907. Spawning behavior and sexual dimorphism inFundulus heteroclitus and allied fish.Biol. Bull. 12:314–346. CrossRef
- Nichols, J. T., andC. M. Breder, Jr. 1927. The marine fishes of New York and southern New England.Zoologica 9:1–192.
- Oppenheimer, J. M. 1937. The normal stages ofFundulus heteroclitus.Anat. Rec. 68:1–15. CrossRef
- Peters, N. 1963. Embryonale anpassungen oviparer sahnkarpfen aus periodisch austroknenden gewassern.Int. Revue Ges Hydrobiol. 48:257–313. CrossRef
- Shanklin, D. R. 1959. Studies on theFundulus chorion.J. Cell Comp. Physiol. 53:1–11. CrossRef
- Solberg, A. N. 1938. The development of a bony fish.Prog. Fish Culturist 40:1–19. CrossRef
- Aspects of an undescribed reproductive behavior inFundulus heteroclitus (Pisces: Cyprinodontae) from Virginia
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 282-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links