Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
▴ Eltrombopag, an orally administered, small-molecule non-peptide thrombopoietin receptor agonist, selectively binds to the transmembrane domain of the thrombopoietin receptor on the surface of platelets, megakaryocytes and megakaryocyte precursor cells. The drug acts via the Janus Kinase/Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription (JAK/STAT) pathway to activate megakaryocyte proliferation and differentiation in bone marrow progenitor cells, similar to those observed with endogenous thrombopoietin.
▴ Platelet counts are increased as a result of eltrombopag therapy, and the drug has shown good clinical efficacy in adults with chronic immune (idiopathic) thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) in randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-centre, phase II dose-finding and phase III trials.
▴ After 6 weeks of therapy in the phase III trial, eltrombopag 50 mg/day was associated with a significantly higher response rate (proportion of patients with a platelet count of ≥50 000 cells/μL at day 43; primary endpoint) than placebo in adult patients with chronic ITP.
▴ In addition, the proportion of patients with ITP achieving a platelet count of >200 000 cells/μL and discontinuing treatment due to protocol-defined treatment-cessation criteria, was ≈8-fold higher with eltrombopag than with placebo.
▴ Eltrombopag therapy for 6 weeks also significantly decreased the incidence of WHO-defined bleeding compared with placebo.
▴ Eltrombopag was generally well tolerated in clinical trials, with an adverse events profile that did not differ significantly from that with placebo.
- Psaila B, Bussel JB. Immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2007; 21(4): 743–59 CrossRef
- Provan D, Newland A, Norfolk D, et al. Guidelines for the investigation and management of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults, children and in pregnancy. Br J Haematol 2003; 120: 574–96 CrossRef
- Feudjo-Tepie MA, Robinson NJ, Bennett D. Prevalence of diagnosed chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura in the US: analysis of a large US claim database: a rebuttal [letter]. J Thromb Haemost 2008 Apr; 6(4): 711–2 CrossRef
- George JN. Management of patients with refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4(8): 1664–72 CrossRef
- Stasi R, Evangelista ML, Amadori S. Novel thrombopoietic agents: a review of their use in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Drugs 2008; 68(7): 901–12 CrossRef
- George JN, Woolf SH, Raskob GE, et al. Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a practice guideline developed by explicit methods for the American Society of Hematology. Blood 1996; 88(1): 3–40
- Rodeghiero F. First-line therapies for immune thrombocytopenic purpura: re-evaluating the need to treat. Eur J Haematol 2008; 80 Suppl. 69: 19–26 CrossRef
- Newland A. Thrombopoietin mimetic agents in the management of immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Semin Hematol 2007 Oct; 44 (4 Suppl. 5): S35–45 CrossRef
- Erickson-Miller CL, Delorme E, Tian SS, et al. Preclinical activity of eltrombopag (SB-497115), an oral, non-peptide thrombopoietin receptor agonist. Stem Cells 2009; 27: 424–30 CrossRef
- Erhardt J, Erickson-Miller CL, Tapley P. SB 497115-GR, a low molecular weight TPOR agonist, does not induce platelet activation or enhance agonist-induced platelet aggregation in vitro [abstract no. 3888]. Blood 2004; 104(11): 59b
- Jenkins JM, Williams D, Deng Y, et al. Phase 1 clinical study of eltrombopag, an oral, nonpeptide thrombopoietin receptor agonist. Blood 2007 Jun 1; 109(11): 4739–41 CrossRef
- Psaila B, Bussel JB, Linden MD, et al. In vivo effects of eltrombopag on human platelet function [abstract no. 1301]. Blood 2007 Nov 1; 110(11): 391–2
- Bussel JB, Cheng G, Saleh MN, et al. Eltrombopag for the treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med 2007 Nov 29; 357(22): 2237–47 CrossRef
- Bussel J, Provan D, Shamsi T, et al. Effect of eltrombopag on platelet counts and bleeding during treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2009 Feb 21; 373(9664): 641–8 CrossRef
- GlaxoSmithKline. Promacta (eltrombopag tablets): US prescribing information. [online]. Available from URL: http://www.promactacares.com/prescribing_information.pdf [Accessed 2008 Nov 24]
- Bussel J, Psaila B, Saleh M, et al. Efficacy and safety of repeated intermittent treatment with eltrombopag in patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura [abstract no. 3431]. Blood 2008; 112(11): 1176
- Bussel J, Cheng G, Saleh M, et al. Safety and efficacy of long-term treatment with oral eltrombopag for chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura [abstract no. 3432]. Blood 2008 Nov 16; 112(11): 1177. Plus poster presented at the 50th annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology; 2008 Dec 6–9; San Francisco (CA)
- Cheng G, Saleh M, Bussel J, et al. Oral eltrombopag for the long-term treatment of patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: results of a phase III, double-blind, placebo-controlled study (RAISE) [abstract no. 400]. Blood 2008; 112 (11). Plus oral presentation at the 50th annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology; 2008 Dec 6–9; San Francisco (CA)
- Bussel J, Newland A, Provan A, et al. Severe bleeding in patients with severe chronic ITP: results from two double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trials [abstract no. 0758]. Haematologica 2007; 92 Suppl. 1: 282
- Saleh MN, Bussel JB, Stone N, et al. Oral eltrombopag increases platelet counts and reduces bleeding in chronic ITP patients: pooled results of phase II and phase III trials [poster]. 13th Annual Congress of the European Hematology Association; 2008 Jun 12–15; Copenhagen
- Newland A, Bussel JB, Stone N, et al. Eltrombopag effectively elevates platelets in patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) regardless of splenectomy status [poster]. 13th Annual Congress of the European Hematology Association; 2008 Jun 12–15; Copenhagen
- Cheng G. Platelet counts remain elevated in two patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura after cessation of oral eltrombopag [abstract no. 3927]. Blood 2007; 110(11): 49b
- Psaila B, Bussel JB, Vasey S, et al. Efficacy and safety of repeated intermittent treatment with eltrombopag in patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura [abstract no. 0294]. Haematologica 2008; 93 Suppl. 1: 120. Plus poster presented at the 13th Annual Congress of the European Hematology Association; 2008 Jun 12–15; Copenhagen CrossRef
- Bussel JB, McHutchison J, Provan D, et al. Safety of eltrombopag, an oral non-peptide platelet growth factor, in the treatment of thrombocytopenia: results of four randomized, placebo-controlled studies [abstract no. 1299]. Blood 2007; 110(11): 391a
- GlaxoSmithKline. PROMACTA(R) (eltrombopag) receives unanimous recommendation by FDA advisory panel [media release]. 2008 May 30
- GlaxoSmithKline. Eltrombopag to reduce the need for platelet transfusion in subjects with chronic liver disease and thrombocytopenia undergoing elective invasive procedures [ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00678587]. US National Institutes of Health, ClinicalTrials.gov [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov [Accessed 2009 Mar 26]
- GlaxoSmithKline. Eltrombopag to initiate and maintain interferon antiviral treatment to subjects with hepatitis C related liver disease [ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00516321]. US National Institutes of Health, ClinicalTrials.gov [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov [Accessed 2009 Mar 26]
- GlaxoSmithKline. Eltrombopag to initiate and maintain interferon antiviral treatment to benefit subjects with hepatitis C liver disease [ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00529568]. US National Institutes of Health, ClinicalTrials.gov [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov [Accessed 2009 Mar 26]
- Baranwal A, Fraser L, Jayawardene D, et al. Efficacy and safety of eltrombopag, a novel, oral, platelet growth factor on platelet counts in patients with cancer receiving carboplatin/paclitaxel [abstract no. P-168]. Support Care Cancer 2007; 15:761
Volume 69, Issue 5 , pp 567-576
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors