Combination Therapy with Cyclosporin in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Dr David E. Yocum
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
During the last few years, there have been rapid developments in the drug treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. This has led to research into the role of combination therapy. While past combinations of slow-acting antirheumatic drugs have resulted in either an excessive number of adverse events or a lack of increased efficacy over single agent therapy, newer combinations appear to be more promising. It has recently been demonstrated that the combination of cyclosporin and methotrexate is more effective than methotrexate alone, with no increase in adverse effects. Improved trial methodology and a better understanding of the mechanism of action of these newer agents are assisting in the development of new combinations.
- Amor B, Herson D, Cherot A, et al. Follow-up study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis over a period of more than 10 years (1966–1978): analysis of disease progression and treatment in 100 cases. Ann Med Interne 1981; 132: 168–73.
- Williams HJ, Willkens RF, Samuelson CO, et al. Comparison of low-dose oral pulse methotrexate and placebo in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. A controlled clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 1985; 28: 721–30. CrossRef
- Choy EHS, Scott DL. Prognostic markers in rheumatoid arthritis and classification of antirheumatic therapies: new perspectives. Drugs 1995; 50 Suppl. 1: 15–25. CrossRef
- Tiliakos NA. Low-dose cytotoxic drug combination therapy in intractable rheumatoid arthritis: two years later [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1986; 29: S79.
- Bunch TW, O’Duffy JD, Tompkins RB, et al. Controlled trial of hydroxychloroquine and D-penicillamine singly and in combination in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1984; 27(3): 267–76. CrossRef
- Csuka M, Carreara GF, McCarty DJ. Treatment of intractable rheumatoid arthritis with combined cyclophosphamide, aza-thioprine and hydroxychloroquine: a follow-up study. JAMA 1986; 255: 2315–6. CrossRef
- Biro JA, Segal AM, MacKenzie AH, et al. The combination of methotrexate and azathioprine for resistant rheumatoid arthritis [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1987; 30: S18. CrossRef
- Willkens RF, Urowits MB, Stablei DM, et al. Comparison of azathioprine, methotrexate, and the combination of both in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a controlled clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 1992; 35: 849–56. CrossRef
- Haagsma C, Van Riel P, deRooij DJ, et al. Combination therapy in RA: sulphasalazine and methotrexate [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1993; 36: S53.
- O’Dell J, Haire C, Erikson N, et al. Triple DMARD therapy for rheumatoid arthritis: efficacy [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37: S295.
- Sigal NH, Dumont FJ. Cyclosporin A, FK-506, and rapamycin: pharmacologic probes of lymphocyte signal transduction. Ann Rev Immunol 1992; 10: 519–60. CrossRef
- Segal R, Mozes E, Yaron M, et al. The effects of methotrexate on the production and activity of interleukin-I. Arthritis Rheum 1989; 32: 370–7. CrossRef
- Brahn E, Peacock DJ, Banquerigo ML. Suppression of collagen-induced arthritis by combination cyclosporin A and methotrexate therapy. Arthritis Rheum 1991; 34: 1282–8. CrossRef
- Bensen W, Tugwell P, Roberts R, et al. Combination therapy of cyclosporin with methotrexate and gold in rheumatoid arthritis (2 pilot studies) [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37: S335.
- Tugwell P, Pincus T, Yocum D, et al. Combination therapy with cyclosporine and methotrexate in severe rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 137–41. CrossRef
- Stein CM, Pincus T, Brooks RH, et al. Combination therapy with cyclosporin and methotrexate: results of a 24 week extension study subsequent to a 24 week double-blind study [abstract] Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37: S252.
- Landewé RBM, Miltenburg AMM, Breedveld FC, et al. Cyclosporin and chloroquine synergistically inhibit the interferon gamma production by CD4-positive and CD8-positive synovial T cell clones derived from a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Cyclosporin in RA 1994; 111-23
- Landewé RBM, Miltenburg AMM, Verdonk MJA, et al. Cyclosporin and chloroquine synergistically inhibit T cell proliferation by interference with IL-2 production and IL-2 responsiveness. Cyclosporin in RA 1994; 125-46
- Herzog C, Walker C, Muller W, et al. Anti-CD4+ antibody treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis: I. Effect on clinical and circulating T cells. J Autoimmun 1989; 2: 627–42. CrossRef
- Cush JJ, Kavanaugh AF. Biologic intervention in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1995; 21: 797–816.
- Combination Therapy with Cyclosporin in Rheumatoid Arthritis
Volume 50, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 37-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Arizona Arthritis Center, University of Arizona, 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Tucson, Arizona, 85724, USA