Aliskiren in the Management of Hypertension
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonists (angiotensin receptor blockers) have been shown to be effective drugs in the management of hypertension and to have beneficial effects along the cardiovascular continuum. However, due to compensatory mechanisms, both of these types of agent increase plasma renin activity, which has been reported to have deleterious effects on patient outcomes. Aliskiren is the first nonpeptide orally administered direct renin inhibitor available on the market. Reported data have shown that aliskiren effectively reduces BP alone or in combination with other antihypertensive agents, and has a good tolerability profile. Moreover, this agent reduces plasma renin activity, which in theory could have additional clinical benefits. However, clinical trials analyzing the effects of aliskiren on mortality are still ongoing.
- Banegas JR, Rodríguez-Artalejo F, de la Cruz Troca JJ, et al. Blood pressure in Spain: distribution, awareness, control and benefits of a reduction in average pressure. Hypertension 1998 Dec; 32(6): 998–1002. CrossRef
- Wang YR, Alexander GC, Stafford RS. Outpatient hypertension treatment, treatment intensification, and control in Western Europe and the United States. Arch Intern Med 2007 Jan 22; 167(2): 141–7.
- Egan BM, Zhao Y, Axon RN. US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988–2008. JAMA 2010 May 26; 303(20): 2043–50.
- Banegas JR, Rodriguez-Artalejo F, Graciani A, et al. Mortality attributable to cardiovascular risk factors in Spain. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003 Sep; 57 Suppl. 1: S18–21. CrossRef
- Pereir M, Lunet N, Azevedo A, et al. Differences in prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension between developing and developed countries. J Hypertens 2009 May; 27(5): 963–75. CrossRef
- Manci G, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, et al. 2007 Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens 2007 Jun; 25(6): 1105–87. CrossRef
- Manci G, Messerli F, Bakris G, et al. Blood pressure control and improved cardiovascular outcomes in the International Verapamil SR-Trandolapril Study. Hypertension 2007 Aug; 50(2): 299–305. CrossRef
- Collin R, Peto R, MacMahon S, et al. Blood pressure, stroke, and coronary heart disease: part 2. Short-term reductions in blood pressure: overview of randomised drug trials in their epidemiological context. Lancet 1990 Apr 7 335(8693): 827–38.
- Barrio V, Banegas JR, Ruilope LM, et al. Evolution of blood pressure control in Spain. J Hypertens 2007 Sep; 25(9): 1975–7. CrossRef
- Escobar C, Barrios V. Combined therapy in the treatment of hypertension. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2010 Feb; 24(1): 3–8. CrossRef
- Barrios V, Escobar C, Calderon A, et al. Blood pressure and lipid goal attainment in the hypertensive population in the primary care setting in Spain. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2007 May; 9(5): 324–9. CrossRef
- Welch V, Tang SS. Treatment and control of BP and lipids in patients with hypertension and additional risk factors. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2007; 7(5): 381–9. CrossRef
- Kotseva K, Wood D, De Backer G, et al. Cardiovascular prevention guidelines in daily practice: a comparison of EUROASPIRE I, II, and III surveys in eight European countries. Lancet 2009 Mar 14; 373(9667): 929–40.
- Barrios V, Escobar C, Calderon A, et al., CONTROLRISK Investigators. Cardiovascular risk profile and risk stratification of the hypertensive population attended by general practitioners and specialists in Spain. The CONTROLRISK study. J Hum Hypertens 2007 Jun; 21(6): 479–85.
- Ryden L, Standl E, Bartnik M, et al. Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: executive summary. The Task Force on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Eur Heart J 2007 Jan; 28(1): 88–136. CrossRef
- Nicotra F, Wettermark B, Sturkenboom MC, et al. Management of antihypertensive drugs in three European countries. J Hypertens 2009 Sep; 27(9): 1917–22. CrossRef
- Barrios V, Escobar C, Prieto L, et al. Adverse events in clinical trials: is a new approach needed? Lancet 2008 Aug 16; 372(9638): 535–6.
- Barrios V, Escobar C. Aliskiren: a new drug for an old problem. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 2010 Jan; 8(1): 1–10. CrossRef
- Schmieder RE, Hilgers KF, Schlaich MP, et al. Renin-angiotensin system and cardiovascular risk. Lancet 2007 Apr 7 369(9568): 1208–19.
- Jorde Up, Ennezat Pv, Lisker J, et al. Maximally recommended doses of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors do not completely prevent ACE mediated formation of angiotensin II in chronic heart failure. Circulation 2000 Feb 29; 101(8): 844–6.
- Goodfriend TL, Elliott ME, Catt KJ. Angiotensin receptors and their antagonists. N Engl J Med 1996 Jun 20; 334(25): 1649–54.
- Yusuf S, Teo KK, Pogue J, et al. Telmisartan, ramipril, or both in patients at high risk for vascular events. N Engl J Med 2008 Apr 10; 358(15): 1547–59.
- Gradman AH, Kad R. Renin inhibition in hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008 Feb 5 51(5): 519–28.
- Weber MA, Giles TD. Inhibiting the renin-angiotensin system to prevent cardiovascular diseases: do we need a more comprehensive strategy? Rev Cardiovasc Med 2006 Spring; 7(2): 45–54.
- Alderman MH, Madhavan S, Ooi WL, et al. Association of the renin-sodium profile with the risk of myocardial infarction in patients with hypertension. N Engl J Med 1991 Apr 18; 324(16): 1098–104.
- Alderman MH. Is there a link between the circulating renin-angiotensin system and coronary disease? A buoyant view. Heart 1996 Nov; 76 Suppl. 3: 18–22.
- Baldoncini R, Desideri G, Bellini C, et al. High plasma renin activity is combined with elevated urinary albumin excretion in essential hypertensive patients. Kidney Int 1999 Oct; 56(4): 1499–504. CrossRef
- Bair TL, May HT, Prescott MF, et al. Association between baseline levels of plasma renin activity and risk of cardiovascular events [poster 12, session 1028]. Presented at the 58th Annual Scientific Session of the American College of Cardiology, 29–31 March 2009, Orlando (FL).
- Maibaum J, Feldman DL. Renin inhibitors as novel treatments for cardiovascular disease. Expert Opin Ther Patents 2003; 13: 589–603. CrossRef
- Bergset J, Storozynsky E, Bisognano JD. Renin inhibition for hypertension: selecting the right role for a new class of drug. Am J Ther 2010 Mar–Apr; 17(2): 182–7. CrossRef
- Azizi M, Webb R, Nussberger J, et al. Renin inhibition with aliskiren: where are we now, and where are we going? J Hypertens 2006 Feb; 24(2): 243–56. CrossRef
- Wood JM, Maibaum J, Rahuel J, et al. Structure-based design of aliskiren, a novel orally effective renin inhibitor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2003 Sep 5 308(4): 698–705.
- Lam S, Choy M. Aliskiren: an oral renin inhibitor for the treatment of hypertension. Cardiol Rev 2007 Nov–Dec; 15(6): 316–23. CrossRef
- Cada DJ, Levien T, Baker DE. Aliskiren. Hosp Pharm 2007; 42: 737–49. CrossRef
- Buczko W, Hermanowicz JM. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of aliskiren, an oral direct renin inhibitor. Pharmacol Rep 2008 Sep–Oct; 60(5): 623–31.
- Vaidyanathan S, Jermany J, Yeh Ch, et al. Aliskiren, a novel orally effective renin inhibitor, exhibits similar pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in Japanese and Caucasin subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006 Dec; 62(6): 690–8. CrossRef
- Vaidyanathan S, Valencia J, Kemp C, et al. Lack of pharmacokinetic interaction of aliskiren, a novel direct renin inhibitor for the treatment of hypertension with the antihypertensive amlopine, valsartan, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) and ramipril in healthly volunteers. Int J Clin Pract 2006 Nov; 60(11): 1343–56. CrossRef
- Tecturna (aliskiren) tablets [prescribing information]. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Phamaceuticals Corporation; December 2007 [online]. Available from URL: http:/www.pharma. us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/tekturna.pdf [Accessed 2007 Dec 1].
- Gradman AH, Schmieder RE, Lins RL, et al. Aliskiren, a novel orally effective renin inhibitor, provides dose-dependent antihypertensive efficacy and placebo-like tolerability in hypertensive patients. Circulation 2005 Mar 1 111(8): 1012–8.
- Kushiro T, Itakura H, Abo Y, et al. Aliskiren, a novel oral renin inhibitor, provides dose-dependent efficacy and placebo-like tolerability in Japanese patients with hypertension. Hypertens Res 2006 Dec; 29(12): 997–1005. CrossRef
- Pool JL, Schmieder RE, Azizi M, et al. Aliskiren, an orally effective renin inhibitor, provides antihypertensive efficacy alone and in combination with valsartan. Am J Hypertens 2007 Jan; 20(1): 11–20. CrossRef
- Jordan J, Engeli S, Boye SW, et al. Direct renin inhibition with aliskiren in obese patients with arterial hypertension. Hypertension 2007 May; 49(5): 1047–55. CrossRef
- Mitchell J, Oh B, Herron J, et al. Once-daily aliskiren provides effective, smooth 24-h blood pressure control in patients with hypertension [abstract]. J Clin Hypertens 2006; 8 Suppl. A: A93.
- Oh BH, Mitchell J, Herron JR, et al. Aliskiren, an oral renin inhibitor, provides dose-dependent efficacy and sustained 24-h blood pressure control in patients with hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007 Mar 20; 49(11): 1157–63.
- Oparil S, Yarows SA, Patel S, et al. Efficacy and safety of combined use of aliskiren and valsartan in patients with hypertension: a randomized double-blind trial. Lancet 2007 Jul 21; 370(9583): 221–9.
- Villamil A, Chrysant SG, Calhoun D, et al. Renin inhibition with aliskiren provides additive antihypertensive efficacy when used in combination with hydrochlorothiazide. J Hypertens 2007 Jan; 25(1): 217–26. CrossRef
- Gradman AH, Weir MR, Wright M, et al. Efficacy, safety and tolerability of aliskiren, a direct renin inhibitor, in women with hypertension: a pooled analysis of eight studies. J Hum Hypertens 2010 Mar 4. Epub ahead of print.
- Duprez DA, Munger MA, Botha J, et al. Aliskiren for geriatric lowering of systolic hypertension: a randomized controlled trial. J Hum Hypertens 2010 Sep; 24(9): 600–8. CrossRef
- Schmieder RE, Philipp T, Guerediaga J, et al. Long-term antihypertensive efficacy and safety of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren: a 12-month randomized, double-blind comparator trial with hydrochlorothiazide. Circulation 2009 Jan 27; 119(3): 417–25.
- Schmieder RE, Philipp T, Guerediaga J, et al. Aliskiren-based therapy lowers blood pressure more effectively than hydrochlorothiazide-based therapy in obese patients with hypertension: sub-analysis of a 52-week, randomized, double-blind trial. J Hypertens 2009 Jul; 27(7): 1493–501. CrossRef
- Uresin Y, Taylor A, Kilo C, et al. Efficacy and safety of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren and ramipril alone or in combination in patients with diabetes and hypertension. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 2007 Dec; 8(4): 190–8. CrossRef
- Andersen K, Weinberger MH, Egan B, et al. Comparative efficacy and safety of aliskiren, an oral direct renin inhibitor, and ramipril in hypertension: a 6-month, randomized, double-blind trial. J Hypertens 2008 Mar; 26(3): 589–99. CrossRef
- Motwani JG. Combining renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockade with diuretic therapy for treatment of hypertension. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 2002; 3: 72–8. CrossRef
- Blumenstein M, Romaszko J, Calderón A, et al. Antihypertensive efficacy and tolerability of aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) single-pill combinations in patients who are non-responsive to HCT 25mg alone. Curr Med Res Opin 2009 Apr; 25(4): 903–10. CrossRef
- Nickenig G, Simanenkov V, Lembo G, et al. Efficacy of aliskiren/ hydrochlorothiazide single-pill combinations in aliskiren non-responders. Blood Press 2008 Dec Suppl.; 2: 31–40.
- Parving HH, Persson F, Lewis JB, et al., AVOID study investigators. Aliskiren combined with losartan in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy. N Engl J Med 2008 Jun 5; 358(23): 2433–46.
- Drummond W, Munger MA, Essop MR, et al. Antihypertensive efficacy of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren as add-on therapy in patients not responding to amlodipine monotherapy. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2007 Oct; 9(10): 742–50. CrossRef
- Littlejohn 3rd TW, Trenkwalder P, Hollanders G, et al. Long-term safety, tolerability and efficacy of combination therapy with aliskiren and amlodipine in patients with hypertension. Curr Med Res Opin 2009 Apr; 25(4): 951–9. CrossRef
- Solomon SD, Appelbaum E, Manning WJ, et al., Aliskiren in left ventricular hypertrophy (ALLAY) trial investigators. Effect of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren, the angiotensin receptor blocker losartan, or both on left ventricular mass in patients with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy. Circulation 2009 Feb 3; 119(4): 530–7.
- Solomon S. Effect of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren on left ventricular remodelling following myocardial infarction with left ventricular dysfunction: ASPIRE. American College of Cardiology 2010 Scientific Sessions; 2010 Mar 14–16; Atlanta (GA).
- Barrios V, Escobar C. Beating the clock: Reducing cardiovascular risk by rapid BP reduction with olmesartan. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2010; 11: 1549–58. CrossRef
- McMurray JJ, Pitt B, Latini R, et al. Effects of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with symptomatic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail 2008 May; 1(1): 17–24. CrossRef
- Peitz GJ, Malesker MA, Sojka SG. Aliskiren-induced QT interval prolongation. South Med J 2009 Apr; 102(4): 411–2. CrossRef
- Mancia G, Laurent S, Agabiti-Rosei E, et al. Reappraisal of European guidelines on hypertension management: a European Society of Hypertension Task Force document. J Hypertens 2009; 27: 2121–58. CrossRef
- Aliskiren in the Management of Hypertension
American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs
Volume 10, Issue 6 , pp 349-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links