Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ofatumumab is a fully human anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody that induces antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity and complement-dependent cytotoxicity in CD20-expressing B lymphocytes. Ofatumumab is highly potent in lysing B cells, and this appears to stem from its binding site on the short extracellular loop of the target CD20 protein and its slow release from the target molecule.
In a pivotal, noncomparative study in patients with fludarabine- and alemtuzumab-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), ofatumumab induced objective responses in 58% (99% CI 40, 74) of patients, which met a prespecified superiority criterion. The median duration of response was 7.1 months.
The median progression-free survival was 5.7 months and the median overall survival was 13.7 months.
In patients with fludarabine- and alemtuzumab-refractory CLL, infections and neutropenia were the most frequent treatment-related adverse events (all grades) that occurred during ofatumumab treatment; infections that commenced during treatment led to death in five patients (8%).
- Montserrat E, Moreno C. Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a short overview. Ann Oncol 2008 Sep; 19 Suppl. 7: vii320–5 CrossRef
- Shanafelt TD, Call TG. Current approach to diagnosis and management of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Mayo Clin Proc 2004 Mar; 79(3): 388–98 CrossRef
- Hallek M, Cheson BD, Catovsky D, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a report from the International Workshop on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia updating the National Cancer Institute-Working Group 1996 guidelines. Blood 2008 Jun 15; 111(12): 5446–56 CrossRef
- Faderi S, Ferrajoli A, Frankfurt O, et al. Treatment of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia with nonchemotherapeutic agents: experience with single-agent and combination therapy. Leukemia 2009; 23(3): 457–66 CrossRef
- Tsimberidou A-M, Keating MJ. Treatment of fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer 2009 Jul 1; 115:2824–36 CrossRef
- Tam CS, O’Brien S, Lerner S, et al. The natural history of fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients who fail alemtuzumab or have bulky lymphade-nopathy. Leuk Lymphoma 2007 Oct; 48(10): 1931–9 CrossRef
- GlaxoSmithKline. Arzerra™: prescribing information [online]. Available from URL: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/125326lbl.pdf [Accessed 2010 Jan 25]
- Genmab. GlaxoSmithKline receives conditional marketing authorization in the EU for Arzerra™ (ofatumumab) [media release]. 2010 Apr 19
- Bleeker WK, Munk ME, Mackus WJ, et al. Estimation of dose requirements for sustained in vivo activity of a therapeutic human anti-CD20 antibody. Br J Haematol 2008 Feb; 140(3): 303–12 CrossRef
- Teeling JL, Mackus WJ, Wiegman LJ, et al. The biological activity of human CD20 monoclonal antibodies is linked to unique epitopes on CD 20. J Immunol 2006 Jul 1; 177(1): 362–71
- Pawluczkowycz AW, Beurskens FJ, Beum PV, et al. Binding of submaximal C1q promotes complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC) of B cells opsonized with anti-CD20 mAbs ofatumumab (OFA) or rituximab (RTX): considerably higher levels of CDC are induced by OFA than by RTX. J Immunol 2009 Jul 1; 183(1): 749–58 CrossRef
- Beum PV, Lindorfer MA, Beurskens F, et al. Complement activation on B lymphocytes opsonized with rituximab or ofatumumab produces substantial changes in membrane structure preceding cell lysis. J Immunol 2008 Jul 1; 181(1): 822–32
- Craigen JL, Mackus WJM, Engleberts P, et al. Ofatumumab, a human Mab targeting a membrane-proximal small-loop epitope on CD20, induces potent NK cell-mediated ADCC [abstract no. 1725]. 51st Annual Meeting and Exposition of the American Society of Hematology; 2009 Dec 5–8; New Orleans (LA)
- GlaxoSmithKline. Arzerra™ (ofatumumab) injection for intravenous use: FDA Oncological Drugs Advisory Committee briefing document [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/09/briefing/2009-4444b1-02-GSK.pdf [Accessed 2010 Jan 26]
- Osterborg A, Biilmann Ronn B, Jewell RC, et al. Correlation between serum ofatumumab concentrations, baseline patient characteristics and clinical outcomes in patients with fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) treated with single-agent ofatumumab [abstract no. 3433]. 51st Annual Meeting and Exposition of the American Society of Hematology; 2009 Dec 5–8; New Orleans (LA)
- Wierda WG, Kipps TJ, Mayer J, et al. Ofatumumab as single-agent CD20 immunotherapy in fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2010 Apr 1; 28(10): 1749–55 CrossRef
- Coiffier B, Lepretre S, Pedersen LM, et al. Safety and efficacy of ofatumumab, a fully human monoclonal anti-CD20 antibody, in patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a phase 1–2 study. Blood 2008 Feb 1; 111(3): 1094–100 CrossRef
- National Cancer Institute. Common terminology criteria [online]. Available from URL: http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/electronic_applications/docs/ctcaev3.pdf[Accessed2010Feb3]
- European Medicines Agency. Arzerra: summary of opinion (initial authorisation) [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/pdfs/human/opinion/Arzerra_214261en.pdf [Accessed 2010 Jan 25]
Volume 70, Issue 8 , pp 1013-1019
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors