Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Following publication of their Cochrane Collaboration review, Buckley et al. present in this issue of Toxicological Reviews a systematic and critical review of studies assessing the efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is responsible for more morbidity and mortality than virtually any other chemical substance. Despite a considerable number of published laboratory investigations and six randomised controlled clinical trials,[3–8] there is still a lack of consensus concerning the role of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of carbon monoxide intoxication.
The systematic analysis by Buckley et al. provides an opportunity to reassess this important issue. Given the potential implications of this analysis we have invited several knowledgeable clinical toxicologists from around the world and a prominent researcher in this area to provide editorials addressing the implications of the review for the management of th ...
- Juurlink DN, Buckley NA, Stanbrook MB, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen for carbon monoxide poisoning. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; (1): CD002041
- Buckley NA, Isbister GK, Stokes B, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen for carbon monoxide poisoning: a systematic review and critical analysis of the evidence. Toxicol Rev 2005; 24: 75–92 CrossRef
- Mathieu D, Wattel F, Mathieu-Nolf M, et al. Randomized prospective study comparing the effect of HBO vs. 12 hours NBO in non-comatose CO-poisoned patients: results of preliminary analysis. Undersea Hyperb Med 1996; 23 Suppl.: 7–8
- Raphael J, Elkharrat D, Jars-Guincestre M, et al. Trial of normobaric and hyperbaric oxygen for acute carbon monoxide intoxication. Lancet 1989; II: 414–9 CrossRef
- Raphael JC, Chevret S, Driheme A, et al. Managing carbon monoxide poisoning with hyperbaric oxygen. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 2004; 42: 455–6
- Scheinkestel CD, Bailey M, Myles PS, et al. Hyperbaric or normobaric oxygen for acute carbon monoxide poisoning: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Med J Aust 1999; 170: 203–10
- Thom SR, Taber RL, Mendiguren II, et al. Delayed neuropsychologic sequelae after carbon monoxide poisoning: prevention by treatment with hyperbaric oxygen. Ann Emerg Med 1995; 25: 474–9 CrossRef
- Weaver LK, Hopkins RO, Chan KJ, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen for acute carbon monoxide poisoning. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 1057–67 CrossRef