Systematic review —a tool for the pharmaceutical physician
- Stephen B. Shrewsbury
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A meta-analysis of nine large clinical studies that had looked at a clinical dilemma, which option to use at ‘Step 3 of the British Guidelines on Asthma Management’, was conducted to attempt to determine the better option for adult asthma. All studies had reported results demonstrating superiority of the addition of a long-acting bronchodilator to inhaled corticosteroid for lung function, but, taken singly, none of the studies had sufficient power to provide conclusive evidence on the relative effect of either treatment option on the incidence of asthma exacerbations. However, a carefully conducted meta-analysis of the nine studies was able to provide a conclusive answer to this question. The work was further developed after abstract presentation and subsequently published. This article argues that the pharmaceutical physician is well placed to use this statistical tool more often, but still judiciously, to look at the benefit (or risk) of drugs in development or on the market, and then to act upon that information appropriately.
- Swales JD. Meta analysis as a guide to clinical practice. J Hypertension 1993; 11 (suppl 5):S59–S63.
- Cochrane AL. Foreword. In: Chalmers I, Enkin M, Keirse MJNC, editors. Effective care in pregnancy and childbirth. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1989, p. vii.
- Marchioli R, Marfisi RM, Carinci F, Tognoni G. Meta-analysis, clinical trials and transferability of research results into practice. (The case of cholesterol-lowering interventions in the secondary prevention of coronary hear disease.) Arch Int Med 1996; 156:1158–1172. CrossRef
- Littenberg B. Aminophylline treatment in severe, acute asthma. A meta-analysis. J Am Med Ass 1988; 259:1678–1684. CrossRef
- Oakley-Browne MA, Adams P, Mobberley PM. Interventions for pathological gambling. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD001521.
- Wilson AJ, Gibson PG, Coughlan J. Long acting beta-agonists versus theophylline for maintenance treatment in asthma. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD001281.
- Ram FSF, Brocklebank DM, White J, Wright J. Pressurised metered dose inhalers versus all other hand-held inhaler devices to deliver beta-2 agonist bronchodilators for non-acute asthma. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD002158.
- Cochrane AL. 1931–1971: a critical review, with particular reference to the medical profession. In: Medicines for the year 2000. London: Office of Health Economics, 1979. pp. 1–11.
- EBM Reviews—Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://www.cochrane.de/cc/cochrane
- Flynn CA, Helwig AL, Meurer LN. Bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy and the risk of prematurity: a meta-analysis. J Fam Prac 1999; 48:897–898.
- Girolami B, Bernardi E, Prins MH, Ten Cate JW, Hettiarachchi R, Pradoni P, et al. Treatment of intermittent claudication with physical training, smoking cessation, pentoxifylline, or nafronyl: a meta-analysis. Arch Int Med 1999; 159:1955–1956. CrossRef
- Gosden T, Forland F, Kristiansen I, Sutton M, Leese B, Giuffrida A, et al. Capitation, salary, fee for service and mixed systems of payment: effects on the behaviour of primary care physicians. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD002215.
- Marshall M, Lockwood A. Assertive community treatment for people with severe mental disorders. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD001089.
- Thomas L, Cullum N, McColl E, Rousseau N, Soutter J, Steen N. Guidelines in professions allied to medicine. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev 2000; CD000349.
- British guidelines on asthma management. Thorax 1997; 52 (Suppl1):s1–s21.
- Pauwels RA, Lofdahl C-G, Postma DS, Tattersfield AE, O’Byrne P, Barnes PJ, Ullman A. Effect of inhaled formoterol and budesonide on exacerbations of asthma. New Engl J Med 1997; 337:1405–1411. CrossRef
- Shrewsbury S, Pyke S, Britton M. A meta-analysis of increasing inhaled steroid or adding salmeterol in symptomatic asthma (MIASMA). Br Med J 2000; 320:1368–1372. CrossRef
- Moher D, Cook DJ, Eastwood S, Olkin I, Rennie D, Stroup DF. Improving the quality of reports of meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials: the QUOROM statement. Lancet 1999; 354:1896–1900. CrossRef
- Sykes R. Being a modern pharmaceutical company. Br Med J 1998; 317:1172–1180. CrossRef
- Jadad AR, Moher M, Browman GP, Booker L, Sigouin C, Fuentes M, Stevens R. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses on treatment of asthma: critical evaluation. Br Med J 2000; 320:537–540. CrossRef
- Oxman AD, Guyatt GH. Validation of an index of the quality of review articles. J Clin Epidemiol 1991; 44:1271–1278. CrossRef
- Systematic review —a tool for the pharmaceutical physician
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 67-70
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- inhaled corticosteroids
- long-acting bronchodilator
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinical Development & Medical Affairs, GlaxoSmithKline, USA