Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
▴ Perospirone is an atypical antipsychotic agent for the treatment of schizophrenia. Its primary mode of action is through antagonism of serotonin 5-HT2A and dopamine D2 receptors.
▴ An 8-week course of oral perospirone 8 to 48 mg/day displayed efficacy in up to 75% of patients with schizophrenia participating in phase II and phase III trials. The onset of action of the drug was about 2 weeks.
▴ Perospirone was effective against positive, negative and general symptoms in patients with schizophrenia, as assessed with standard rating scales (Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale, Positive and Negative Symptom Scale).
▴ Compared with haloperidol 2 to 12 mg/day, perospirone 8 to 48 mg/day was significantly more effective against negative symptoms and tended to be more effective against general symptoms and most positive symptoms in a trial in 145 patients with schizophrenia. Perospirone had efficacy similar to that of mosapramine 50 to 300 mg/day in a comparative phase III trial in 159 patients.
▴ Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) tended to occur less often and were generally milder with perospirone than with haloperidol or mosapramine.
- Lehman, AF (1997) Managing schizophrenia: interventions and outcomes. Dis Manage Health Outcomes 1: pp. 286-95 CrossRef
- Emsley, RA (2000) Role of newer atypical antipsychotics in the management of treatment-resistant schizophrenia. CNS Drugs 13: pp. 409-20 CrossRef
- Matsubara, R, Hirabayashi, Y, Narita, H (2000) Clinical evaluation of perospirone hydrochloride (SM-9018) in fine granule form in the treatment of schizophrenic patients [abstract]. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 1: pp. 139
- Schotte, A, Bonaventura, P, Janssen, PFM (1995) In vitro receptor binding and in vivo receptor occupancy in rat and guinea pig brain: risperidone compared with antipsychotics hitherto used. Jpn J Pharmacol 69: pp. 399-412 CrossRef
- Hirose, A, Kato, T, Ohno, Y (1990) Pharmacological actions of SM-9018, a new neuroleptic drug with both potent 5-hydroxytryptamine2 and dopamine2 antagonistic actions. Jpn J Pharmacol 53: pp. 321-9 CrossRef
- Tojima, R, Ohno, Y, Ishibashi, T (1997) Effects of perospirone (SM-9018), a novel 5-HT2 and D2 antagonist, on human D2 and D4 receptors in CHO cells [abstract]. Jpn J Pharmacol I: pp. 176
- Ohno, Y, Ishida-Tokuda, K, Ishibashi, T (1997) Effects of perospirone (SM-9018), a potential atypical neuroleptic, on dopamine D1 receptor-mediated vacuous chewing movement in rats: a role of 5-HT2 receptor blocking activity. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 57: pp. 889-95 CrossRef
- Ohno, Y, Ishibashi, T, Okada, K (1995) Effects of subchronic treatments with SM-9018, a novel 5-HT2 and D2 antagonist, on dopamine and 5-HT receptors in rats. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 19: pp. 1091-101 CrossRef
- Kusumi, I, Takahashi, Y, Suzuki, K (2000) Differential effects of subchronic treatments with atypical antipsychotic drugs on dopamine D2 and serotonin 5-HT2A receptors in the rat brain. J Neural Transm 107: pp. 295-302 CrossRef
- Ohno, Y, Ishida, K, Ishibashi, T (1995) Effects of chronic treatments with SM-9018, a potential atypical neuroleptic, on behavioral dopaminergic and serotonergic sensitivities in rats. Gen Pharmacol 26: pp. 489-94 CrossRef
- Ohno, Y, Ishida, K, Ikeda, K (1994) Evaluation of bradykinesia induction by SM-9018, a novel 5-HT2 and D2 receptor antagonist, using the mouse pole test. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 49: pp. 19-23 CrossRef
- Saito, A, Nishimura, T, Fukushima, M (1997) Pharmaco-EEG study of SM-9018, a D2 and 5-HT2 antagonist in healthy volunteers [abstract]. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging 68: pp. 173-4 CrossRef
- Inanaga, K, Irie, S, Urae, A (1997) Phase I study of perospirone HCl (SM-9018) [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 2113-57
- Mizuno, Y, Kanamaru, H, Nakatsuka, I (1997) Effect of food on the disposition of SM-9018 in cynomolgus monkeys [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 821-51
- Mizuno, Y (1997) Disposition of SM-9018 after single oral administration to rats and protein binding to serum of human and animals [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 543-68
- Mizuno, Y, Kanamaru, H, Nakatsuka, I (1997) Transfer of SM-9018 to fetus and milk in rats [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 755-88
- Ishibashi, T, Ohno, Y, Tokuda, Y (1997) CNS pharmacological actions of the major metabolites of perospirone hydrochloride [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 893-902
- Murasaki, M, Koyama, T, Machiyama, Y (1997) Clinical evaluation of a new antipsychotic, perospirone HCl, on schizophrenia: a comparative double-blind study with haloperidol [in Japanese]. Rinsho Hyoka 24: pp. 159-205
- Kudo, Y, Nakajima, T, Saito, M (1997) Clinical evaluation of a serotonin-2 and dopamine-2 receptor antagonist (SDA), perospirone HCl on schizophrenia: a comparative double-blind study with mosapramine HCl [in Japanese]. Rinsho Hyoka 24: pp. 207-48
- Murasaki, M, Koyama, T, Machiyama, Y (1997) Clinical evaluation of a new antipsychotic, perospirone HCl, on schizophrenia: late-phase II study [in Japanese]. Rinsho Hyoka 31: pp. 2181-206
- Murasaki, M, Yamashita, I, Machiyama, Y (1997) Early phase 2 study of a new antipsychotic, perospirone HCl (SM-9018), on schizophrenia [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 2159-79
- Murasaki, M, Koyama, T, Machiyama, Y (1997) Clinical evaluation of a new antipsychotic, perospirone HCl, on schizophrenia: a study of long-term administration [in Japanese]. Kiso to Rinsho 31: pp. 2207-30
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC
- Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries, and causes of death. WHO, Grneva
- World, H Organization (1992) International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems. WHO, Geneva
- Lader, M (2000) Rating scales in schizophrenia: a review of their usefulness for assessing atypical antipsychotics. CNS Drugs 14: pp. 23-32 CrossRef
- Kay, SR, Fiszbein, A, Opler, LA (1987) The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 13: pp. 261-76 CrossRef
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 329-337
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors