Economic Evaluation of Enoxaparin Sodium versus Heparin in Unstable Angina
- Bruno DetournayAffiliated withHealth Economics Department, CEMKA Email author
- , Xavier HuetAffiliated withRhône-Poulenc Rorer Laboratories
- , François FagnaniAffiliated withHealth Economics Department, CEMKA
- , Gilles MontalescotAffiliated withCardiology Department, University of Pitié-Salpétrière Hospital
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objectives: To perform an evaluation from the societal perspective of the cost of treatment with enoxaparin sodium versus unfractionated heparin (UFH) in patients with unstable angina and non-Q wave myocardial infarction in France.
Design: Four complementary cost-minimisation analyses based on the results of the Efficacy and Safety of Subcutaneous Enoxaparin in Non-Q wave Coronary Events (ESSENCE) international trial were conducted. We assessed differences in medical resource consumption and in duration of hospital stay in the whole study population (n = 3171) and for the French patients (n = 133).
Results: Resultswere consistent for the study group as a whole and for the French subgroup. Among patients treated with enoxaparin sodium, there was a statistically significant reduction in the use of angiography and percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (whole group study: p = 0.024 and 0.006, respectively) and a trend towards shorter lengths of hospital stay. The differences in angiography and angioplasty rates led to estimated average net cost savings with enoxaparin sodium of French Francs (FF)1555 per treated patient (whole study population) and FF9993 (French subgroup) [1996 values]. The analyses based on the duration of hospital stay resulted in estimated net cost savings with enoxaparin sodium of between FF1014 per treated patient (whole study population) and FF2804 (French subgroup).
Conclusion: Our study confirmed earlier results which show that enoxaparin sodium is cost saving in the treatment of unstable angina.
- Economic Evaluation of Enoxaparin Sodium versus Heparin in Unstable Angina
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 83-89
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health Economics Department, CEMKA, 43 Boulevard du Maréchal Joffre, 92340, Bourg-la-Reine, France
- 2. Rhône-Poulenc Rorer Laboratories, Montrouge, France
- 3. Cardiology Department, University of Pitié-Salpétrière Hospital, Paris, France