Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
▴ Nelarabine is an anticancer prodrug of arabinofura-nosylguanine (ara-G), which is metabolized in cells to the cytotoxic metabolite ara-G triphosphate (ara-GTP).
▴ Ara-GTP competes with deoxyguanosine triphosphate for incorporation into DNA. Once incorporated, it inhibits DNA synthesis and leads to high molecular weight DNA fragmentation and cell death.
▴ In paediatric and adult patients with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia or T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma, nelarabine induced a complete response, with or without complete haematological recovery, in approximately one-fifth of patients who had not responded to, or had relapsed following treatment with, two or more prior chemotherapy regimens.
▴ The median overall survival time was 13.1 and 20.6 weeks in paediatric and adult patients, with corresponding 1-year survival rates of 14% and 29%.
▴ Treatment-emergent adverse events were common, but non-haematological events were mostly of mild or moderate severity.
▴ Neurological events, which may be severe and irreversible, were the most likely adverse events to limit treatment.
- Vitale A, Guarini A, Chiaretti S. The changing scene of adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Curr Opin Oncol 2006; 18(6): 652–9 CrossRef
- European Medicines Agency. Atriance: scientific discussion [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/atriance/atriance.htm [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- Jabbour EJ, Faderl S, Kantarjian HM. Adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Mayo Clin Proc 2005 Nov; 80(11): 1517–27 CrossRef
- Cancer Research UK. UK Non-Hodgkins lymphoma statistics [online]. Available from URL: http://info.cancer-researchuk.org/cancerstats [Accessed 2007 Dec 13]
- Song KW, Barnett MJ, Gascoyne RD, et al. Primary therapy for adults with T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma with hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation results in favorable outcomes. Ann Oncol 2007 Mar; 18(3): 535–40 CrossRef
- Larson RA. Management of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in older patients. Semin Hematol 2006 Apr; 43(2): 126–33 CrossRef
- DeAngelo DJ, Yu D, Johnson JL, et al. Nelarabine induces complete remissions in adults with relapsed or refractory T-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia or lymphoblastic lymphoma: Cancer and Leukemia Group B study 19801. Blood 2007 Jun 15; 109(12): 5136–42 CrossRef
- Apostolidou E, Swords R, Alvarado Y. Treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: a new era. Drugs 2007; 67(15): 2153–71 CrossRef
- Fielding AK, Richards SM, Chopra R, et al. Outcome of 609 adults after relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL): an MRC UKALL 12/ECOG 2993 study. Blood 2007 Feb; 109(3): 944–50 CrossRef
- Appelbaum FR, Rosenblum D, Arceci RJ, et al. End points to establish the efficacy of new agents in the treatment of acute leukemia. Blood 2007 Mar 1; 109(5): 1810–6 CrossRef
- Szafraniec SI, Stachnik KJ, Skierski JS. New nucleoside analogs in the treatment of hematologic disorders. Acta Pol Pharm 2004 May–Jun; 61(3): 223–32
- Gandhi V, Rodriguez Jr C, Kisor DF, et al. Rationale and design of pharmacologically directed clinical trials of GW506U in refractory hematologic malignancies. Blood 1997 Nov 15; 90 Suppl. 1 (Pt 2): 241
- Rodriguez Jr CO, Stellrecht CM, Gandhi V. Mechanisms for T-cell selective cytotoxicity of arabinosylguanine. Blood 2003 Sep 1; 102(5): 1842–8 CrossRef
- Kisor DF. Nelarabine: a nucleoside analog with efficacy in T-cell and other leukemias. Ann Pharmacother 2005 Jun; 39(6): 1056–63 CrossRef
- Lambe CU, Averett DR, Paff MT, et al. 2-Amino-6-methoxypurine arabinoside: an agent for T-cell malignancies. Cancer Res 1995; 55(15): 3352–6
- Gandhi V, Plunkett W, Rodriguez Jr CO. Compound GW506U78 in refractory hematologic malignancies: relationship between cellular pharmacokinetics and clinical response. J Clin Oncol 1998 Nov; 16(11): 3607–15
- Gandhi V, Plunkett W, Weiler S, et al. Evaluation of the combination of nelarabine and fludarabine in leukemias: clinical response, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics in leukemia cells. J Clin Oncol 2001 Apr 15; 19(8): 2142–52
- Ravandi F, Gandhi V. Novel purine nucleoside analogues for T-cell-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and lymphoma. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2006 Dec; 15(12): 1601–13 CrossRef
- Cohen M H, Johnson JR, Massie T. Approval summary: nelarabine for the treatment of T-cell lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2006 Sep 15; 12(18): 5329–35 CrossRef
- GlaxoSmithKline. Arranon® (nelarabine): US prescribing information [online]. Available from URL: http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_arranon.pdf [Accessed 2007 Nov 22]
- European Medicines Agency. Atriance (nelarabine): summary of product information [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/atriance/H-752-PI-en.pdf [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- Gandhi V, Plunkett W. Clofarabine and nelarabine: two new purine nucleoside analogs. Curr Opin Oncol 2006 Nov; 18(6): 584–90 CrossRef
- Berg SL, Blaney SM, Devidas M, et al. Phase II study of nelarabine (compound 506U78) in children and young adults with refractory T-cell malignancies: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2005 May 20; 23(15): 3376–82 CrossRef
- Gokbuget N, Arnold R, Atta J, et al. High single drug activity of compound GW506U78 in relapsed T-lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL) and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma (T-LBL) offers option for cure with stem cell transplantation [abstract no. 0397]. Haematologica 2005 Jun; 90 Suppl. 2: 157
- US FDA Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research. Nelarabine review [online]. Available from URL: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm [Accessed 2007 Nov 9]
- National Cancer Institute. Common toxicity criteria [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/cancer/toxicityframe [Accessed 2007 Dec 9]
- US National Institutes of Health. Combination chemotherapy in treating young patients with newly diagnosed T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=leukemia+and+nelarabine [Accessed 2008 Jan 28]
Volume 68, Issue 4 , pp 439-447
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links