Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
▴ Amlodipine, a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker, and valsartan, an angiotensin II receptor blocker, are established antihypertensive agents. Fixed-dose combinations of amlodipine/valsartan are available in several European countries and in the US. Individual dose titration with amlodipine and valsartan is generally recommended before changing to the fixed-dose combination.
▴ Amlodipine/valsartan, at approved dosage regimens, achieved significantly greater reductions in mean sitting diastolic and systolic blood pressure (BP) than amlodipine or valsartan monotherapy, or placebo in two randomized, double-blind, factorial trials in patients with mild to moderate hypertension.
▴ Approximately 80–90% of patients receiving approved dosages of amlodipine/valsartan achieved a response, defined as a mean sitting diastolic BP <90 mmHg or a ≥10 mmHg reduction from baseline.
▴ Subgroup analyses of data from the two trials showed that the antihypertensive efficacy of amlodipine/valsartan in the elderly, Black patients and those with stage 2 hypertension was consistent with that observed in the overall study population.
▴ Marked reductions in BP were also observed in patients whose BP was previously uncontrolled on monotherapy (with various antihypertensives) who were switched (without washout) to amlodipine/valsartan in a phase IIIb-IV study.
▴ Amlodipine/valsartan was generally well tolerated in clinical trials. In particular, the incidence of peripheral oedema was significantly lower in patients receiving amlodipine/valsartan than in those treated with amlodipine monotherapy.
- Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR (2003) The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA 289: pp. 2560-72 CrossRef
- Mancia, G, Backer, G, Dominiczak, A (2007) 2007 Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: The Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens 25: pp. 1105-87 CrossRef
- Dahlöf, B, Sever, PS, Poulter, NR (2005) Prevention of cardiovascular events with an antihypertensive regimen of amlodipine adding perindopril as required versus atenolol adding bendroflumethiazide as required, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial-Blood Pressure Lowering Arm (ASCOT-BPLA): a multientre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 366: pp. 895-906 CrossRef
- European Medicines Agency (EMEA). Summary of product characteristics: Exforge® (amlodipine/valsartan) film-coated tablets [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu [Accessed 2007 Aug 13]
- Novartis. Exforge® (amlodipine and valsartan) prescribing information. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., 2007 Apr [online]. Available from URL: http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com [Accessed 2007 Sep 14]
- Top, C, Cingözbay, BY, Terekeci, H (2002) The effects of valsartan on insulin sensitivity in patients with primary hypertension. J Int Med Res 30: pp. 15-20
- Ram, CVS, Ames, RP, Applegate, WB (1994) Double-blind comparison of amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide in patients with mild to moderate hypertension. Clin Cardiol 17: pp. 251-6 CrossRef
- Scheen, AJ (2004) Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus through inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system. Drugs 64: pp. 2537-65 CrossRef
- Elliott, WJ, Meyer, PM (2007) Incident diabetes in clinical trials of antihypertenisve drugs: a network meta-analysis. Lancet 369: pp. 201-7 CrossRef
- Abuissa, H, Jones, PG, Marso, SP (2005) Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotenisn receptor blockers for prevention of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Am Coll Cardiol 46: pp. 821-6 CrossRef
- Bakris, G, Molitch, M, Hewkin, A (2006) Differences in glucose tolerance between fixed-dose antihypertensive drug combinations in people with metabolic syndrome. STAR Investigators. Diabetes Care 29: pp. 2592-7 CrossRef
- Haria, M, Wagstaff, AJ (1995) Amlodipine: a reappraisal of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic use in cardiovascular disease. Drugs 50: pp. 560-86 CrossRef
- Markham, A, Goa, KL (1997) Valsartan: a review of its pharmacology and therapeutic use in essential hypertension. Drugs 54: pp. 299-311 CrossRef
- Thürmann, PA (2000) Valsartan: a novel angiotensin type 1 receptor antagonist. Expert Opin Pharmacother 1: pp. 337-50 CrossRef
- Maeda, T, Kato, M, Tajima, A (2006) Additive effect of valsartan on exercise tolerance in hypertensive patients treated with amlodipine [abstract no. PO4-154]. J Hypertens 24: pp. 399
- Fogari, R, Preti, P, Mugellini, A (2006) Valsartan amlodipine combination and prevention of atrial fibrillation recurrence in hypertensive diabetic patients [abstract no. 3695]. Circulation 114: pp. 789-90
- Champlain, J, Karas, M, Assouline, L (2007) Effects of valsartan or amlodipine alone or in combination on plasma catecholamine levels at rest and during standing in hypertensive patients. J Clin Hypertens 9: pp. 168-78 CrossRef
- Leenen, FHH, Nwachuku, CE, Black, HR (2006) Clinical events in high-risk hypertensive patients randomly assigned to calcium channel blocker versus angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor in the antihypertensive and lipid-lowering treatment to prevent heart attack trial. Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT) Collaborative Research Group. Hypertension 48: pp. 374-84 CrossRef
- Nissen, SE, Tuzcu, EM, Libby, P (2004) Effect of antihypertensive agents on cardiovascular events in patients with coronary disease and normal blood pressure. The CAMELOT study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 292: pp. 2217-26 CrossRef
- Pitt, B, Byington, RP, Furberg, CD (2000) Effect of amlodipine on the progression of atherosclerosis and the occurrence of clinical events. PREVENT Investigators. Circulation 102: pp. 1503-10 CrossRef
- Williams, B, Lacy, PS, Thorn, SM (2006) Differential impact of blood pressure-lowering drugs on central aortic pressure and clinical outcomes. CAFE Investigators. Circulation 113: pp. 1213-25 CrossRef
- Cohn, JN, Tognoni, G (2001) A randomized trial of the angiotensin-receptor blocker valsartan in chronic heart failure. Valsartan Heart Failure Trial (Val-HeFT) Investigators. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 1667-75 CrossRef
- Julius, S, Kjeldsen, SE, Weber, M (2004) Outcomes in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk treated with regimens based on valsartan or amlodipine: the VALUE randomised trial. Lancet 363: pp. 2022-31 CrossRef
- Maggioni, AP, Latini, R, Carson, PE (2005) Valsartan reduces the incidence of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure: results from the valsartan heart failure trial (Val-HeFT). Am Heart J 149: pp. 548-57 CrossRef
- Mochizuki, S, Dahlöf, B, Shimizu, M (2007) Valsartan in a Japanese population with hypertension and other cardiovascular disease (Jikei Heart Study): a randomised, open-label, blinded endpoint morbidity-mortality study. Lancet 369: pp. 1431-9 CrossRef
- Pfeffer, MA, McMurray, JJV, Velazquez, EJ (2003) Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. Valsartan in Acute Myocardial Infarction (VALIANT) Trial Investigators. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1893-906 CrossRef
- Philipp, T, Smith, TR, Glazer, R (2007) Two multicenter, 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group studies evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of amlodipine and valsartan in combination and as monotherapy in adult patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension. Clin Ther 29: pp. 563-80 CrossRef
- Smith, TR, Philipp, T, Vaisse, B (2007) Amlodipine and valsartan combined and as monotherapy in stage 2, elderly, and black hypertensive patients: subgroup analyses of 2 randomized, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Hypertens 9: pp. 355-64 CrossRef
- Allemann Y, Fraile B, Lambert M, et al. Efficacy of the combination of amlodipine and valsartan in hypertensive patients uncontrolled on previous monotherapy: the EX-FAST study. J Clin Hypertens. Epub in advance Feb 2008
- Fogari, R, Zoppi, A, Derosa, G (2007) Effect of valsartan addition to amlodipine on ankle oedema and subcutaneous tissue pressure in hypertensive patients. J Hum Hypertens 21: pp. 220-4
- Poldermans, D, Glazer, R, Karagianniss, S (2007) Tolerability and blood pressure-lowering efficacy of the combination of amlodipine plus valsartan compared with lisinopril plus hydrochlorothiazide in adult patients with stage 2 hypertension. Clin Ther 29: pp. 279-89 CrossRef
Volume 68, Issue 3 , pp 373-381
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors