Experimental investigation of an adjustable ejector for CO2 heat pump water heaters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An adjustable ejector expansion device for a CO2 heat pump water heater (HPWP) is proposed to improve the system performance. It has been designed to investigate experimentally the effects of the motive nozzle throat area of the ejector, entrained flow pressure, back pressure and primary flow pressure on the entrainment ratio. Experiments based on different motive nozzle throat areas were conducted and the results of the prototype ejector using CO2 as working fluid are presented. The results show that an adjustable ejector can achieve high performance and work well in a wide range of working conditions.
- Boumaraf, L., Lallemand, A. (2008) Modeling of an ejector refrigerating system operating in dimensioning and off-dimensioning conditions with the working fluids R142b and R600a. Applied Thermal Engineering 29: pp. 265-274
- Chunnanond, K., Aphornratana, S. (2004) Ejectors: applications in refrigeration technology. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 8: pp. 129-155 CrossRef
- Deng, J.Q., Jiang, P.X., Lu, T., Lu, W. (2007) Particular characteristics of transcritical CO2 refrigeration cycle with an ejector. Applied Thermal Engineering 27: pp. 381-388 CrossRef
- Gay, N.H., 1931. Refrigerating System. US Patent No. 1,836,318.
- Groll, E.A. (2006) Recent Advances in the Transcritical CO2 Cycle Technology. Eighth National and Seventh ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, IIT Guahati, India
- Groll, E.A., Kim, J.H. (2007) Review of recent advances toward transcritical CO2 cycle technology. HVAC&R Research 13: pp. 499-520
- Hrnjak, P.S. (2006) Improvement Options for CO2 and R134a Systems. MAC Summit, Saalfelden, Austria
- Jeong, J., Saito, K., Kawai, S., Yoshikawa, C., Hattori, K., 2004. Efficiency Enhancement of Vapor Compression Refrigerator Using Natural Working Fluids with Two-phase Flow Ejector. Proceedings of 6th IIR-Gustav Lorentzen Conference, IIF/IIR, Glasgow, UK.
- Keenan, J.H., Neumann, E.P., Lustwerk, F. (1950) An investigation of ejector design by analysis and experiment. Journal of Applied Mechanics 17: pp. 299-309
- Kornhauser, A.A., 1990. The Use of an Ejector as a Refrigerant Expander. Proceedings of USNCR/IIR-Purdue Refrigeration Conference, USNCR/IIR, USA.
- Li, D.Q., Groll, E.A. (2005) Transcritical, CO2 refrigeration cycle with ejector-expansion device. International Journal of Refrigeration 28: pp. 766-773 CrossRef
- Liu, J.P., Chen, J.P., Chen, Z.J., 2002. Thermodynamic Analysis on Transcritical R744 Vapor-compression/Ejection Hybrid Refrigeration Cycle. Proceedings of 5th IIR-Gustav Lorentzen Conference, IIF/IIR, Guangzhou, China.
- Stoecker, W.F. (1958) Steam-jet Refrigeration. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Yapıcı, R. (2008) Experimental investigation of performance of vapor ejector refrigeration system using refrigerant R123. Energy Conversion and Management 49: pp. 953-961
- Zha, S., Jakobsen, A., 2007. Design and Parametric Investigation on Ejector for R744 Transcritical System. Proceedings of International Congress of Refrigeration, Beijing, China.
- Experimental investigation of an adjustable ejector for CO2 heat pump water heaters
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A
Volume 10, Issue 11 , pp 1678-1682
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- Adjustable ejector
- System performance
- CO2 heat pump water heater (HPWH)
- Entrainment ratio
- Industry Sectors