Experimental study on behaviors of polypropylene fibrous concrete beams
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Synthetic fibers made from nylon or polypropylene have gained application when loose and woven into geo textile form although no information on the matrix’s mechanical performance is obtained so that more understanding of their structural contribution to resist cracking can be determined. This paper presents the results of an experimental investigation to determine the performance characteristics of concrete reinforced with a polypropylene structural fiber. In this investigation “Fiber mesh” brand of fibers manufactured by SL Concrete System, Tennessee, USA and marketed by M/S Millennium Building System, Inc., Bangalore, India are used. The lengths of the fibers used were 24 mm. Fiber dosages used were 0.9, 1.8, 2.7 kg/m3. A total of three mixtures, one for each fiber dosage were made. A standard slump cone test was conducted on the fresh concrete mix with and without fibers to determine the workability of the mix. The test program included the evaluation of hardened concrete properties such as compressive, split tensile, modulus of rupture and flexural strengths. The increase in compressive strength is about 36.25%, 26.20%, and 23.75% respectively that of plain concrete. This increase in strength was directly proportional to amount of fibers present in the mix. The increase in flexural strength for Mixes I∼III is about 21%, 16.6%, and 23% respectively that of plain concrete specimens. An experimental investigation was also made to study the behaviors of reinforced fibers concrete beams (with longitudinal reinforcements) under two-point loading. The deflection and crack patterns were also studied. The improvements in strength and ductility characteristics were discussed.
- ACI Commmittee 318, 1989. Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete and Commentary (ACI 318-89/ACI 318-89). American Concrete Institute, Detroit, p.353.
- Cox, H.L., 1952. The elasticity and strength of paper and other fibrous materials. British Journal of Applied Physics, 3(3):72–79. [doi:10.1088/0508-3443/3/3/302] CrossRef
- Craig, R., 1987. Flexural Behaviour and Design of Reinforced Fiber Concrete Members, SP-105. American Concrete Institute, Detroit, p.517–563.
- Dwarakanath, M.V., Nagaraj, T.S., 1987. Flexural Behaviour of Reinforced Fiber Concrete Beams. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, Madras, 1:249–258.
- Gracia, S.A., Ma, R.J., Romero, M., Talero, R., 2005. Characterisation of a polypropylene fibred cement composite using ESEM, FESEM and mechanical testing. Construction and Building Materials, (19):396–403.
- Henager, C.N., Doherty, T.J., 1976. Analysis of reinforced fibrous concrete beams. Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, 102(ST1):177–188.
- ISI 1489, 1976. Indian Standard Specification for Portland Pozzolana Cement. New Delhi, India.
- IS 2386, 1963. Indian Standard Specification for Tests on Aggregate, Part III. New Delhi, India.
- IS 383, 1970. Specifications for Coarse and Fine Aggregate from Natural Sources for Concrete (Second Revision), Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS 516, 1959. Method of Test for Strength of Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). New Delhi, India.
- IS 5816, 1976. Method of Test for Splitting Tensile Strength of Concrete Cylinders. Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- Kukreja, C.B., Kaushik, S.K., Kanchi, M.B., Jain, O.P., 1980. Tensile strength of steel fiber reinforced concrete. Indian Concrete Journal, (54):184–188.
- Oh, B.H., 1992. Flexural analysis of reinforced concrete beams containing steel fibers. J. Struct. Eng., 118(10): 2821–2835.
- Shah, S.P., Rangan, B.B., 1971. Fibre reinforced concrete properties. ACI Journal, (68):126–135.
- Swamy, R.N., Al-Ta’an, S.A., 1981. Deformation and ultimate strength in flexure of reinforced concrete beams made with steel fiber concrete. ACI Journal, Proceedings, 78(5):395–405.
- Experimental study on behaviors of polypropylene fibrous concrete beams
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A
Volume 8, Issue 7 , pp 1101-1109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- Mechanical properties
- Polypropylene Fibre Reinforced Concrete (PFRC)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2. VLB, Janakiammal College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
- 3. Gojan School of Business and Technology, Red Hills Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India