Nutritional quality, functional properties and anti-nutrient compositions of the larva of Cirina forda (Westwood) (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae)
- O.T. Omotoso
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Determination of the proximate, nutritionally valuable minerals and anti-nutrient compositions in larvae of Cirina forda (W) showed that they contained high levels of protein, (55.50%±1.20%) with ash, moisture, fat, and carbohydrate levels being (10.26%±0.01%), (10.85%±0.38%), (4.68%±0.01%) and (18.70%±0.84%) respectively. Fibre was not detected. Protein solubility was higher in alkaline media than in acidic media while the isoelectric points were pH 4, 6 and 9 indicating that C. forda may be useful in food formulations involving foods like meat products. Phosphorus had the highest value of (215.54±0.21) mg/100 g while manganese had the lowest value of (1.14±0.10) mg/100 g. Copper, Co, Pb, Cr and Ni were not available. Water absorption capacity was (300%±0.15%), oil absorption capacity was (358.44%±0.21%) and foaming stability was (3%±0.00%). The results of anti-nutritional analysis revealed that oxalate and phytic acid contents were (4.11±0.05) mg/100 g and (1.02±0.00) mg/100 g respectively and that these values fell within nutritionally accepted values. Tannin was not detected in C. forda. C. forda, a rich source of animal nutrients, usable in human diets and animal feeds formulations.
- Adedire, C.O., Aiyesanmi, A.F., 1999. Proximate and mineral composition of the adult and immature forms of the variegated grasshopper, Zonocerus variegates (L.) (Acridoidea: Pygomorphidae). Bioscience Research Communications, 11:121–126.
- Adeyeye, E.I., Oshodi, A.A., Ipinmoroti, K.O., 1994. Functional properties of some varieties of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa L.) flour II. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, 45:115–126.
- Adeyeye, E.I., Ipinmoroti, K.O., Oguntokun, M.O., 2002. Chemical composition and functional properties of the African locust bean (Parkia biglobosa) seeds. Pakistan Journal Science and Industrial Research, 45:29–33.
- Aiyesanmi, A.F., Oguntokun, M.O., 1996. Nutrient composition of Dioclea reflexa seed-an underutilized edible legume. Rivista Italiana delle Sostanze Grasse, 73:521–523.
- Ajakaiye, C.O., Bawo, A., 1990. Comparison of the chemical composition of Trinervitermes germinatus (Wasmann) with that of its feed. Nigerian Journal of Entomology, 2:90–99.
- Akubor, P.I., Chukwu, J.K., 1999. Proximate composition and selected functional properties of fermented and unfermented African oil bean (Pentaclethra macrophylla) seed flour. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 54:227–238. [doi:10.1023/A:1008100930856] CrossRef
- Aladesanmi, A., Oshodi, A.A., Ebun-Oluwa, O., 1997. Effect of salts on some of the functional properties of bovine plasma protein concentrate. Food Chemistry, 59:333–338. [doi:10.1016/S0308-8146(96)00102-1]
- Anthonio, H.O., Isoun, M., 1982. Nigerian Cookbook, 1st Ed. Macmillan Press, London, p.172.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemist), 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 15th Ed. AOAC Press, Gaithersburg, USA.
- Ashiru, M.O., 1988. The food value of the larvae of Anaphe venata Butler (Lepidoptera: Notodonitidae). Ecology Food and Nutrition, 22:313–320.
- Beuchat, L.R., 1977. Functional and electrophoretic characteristics of succinylated peanut flour protein. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 25:258–261. [doi:10.1021/jf60210a044] CrossRef
- Day, R.A., Underwood, A.L., 1986. Qualitative Analysis, 5th Ed. Prentice-Hall Publications, New Delhi, India, p.701.
- deLumen, B.O., Becker, R., Reyes, P.S., 1986. Legumes and a cereal with high methionine/cystine contents. Journal of Agric. Food Chem., 34:361–364. [doi:10.1021/jf00068a053]
- Dunkei, F.V., 1996. Nutritional value of various insects per 100 grams. The Food Insect Newsletter, 9:1–8.
- Enujiugha, V.N., Olagundoye, T.V., 2001. Comparative nutritional characteristics of raw fermented and roasted African oil bean (Pentaclethra macrophylla Benth) seeds. Rivista Italiana delle Sostanze Grasse, 78:247–250.
- Enujiugha, V.N., Ayodele-Oni, O., 2003. Evaluation of nutrients and some anti-nutrients in lesser-known, underutilized oilseeds. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 38:1–4. [doi:10.1046/j.1365-2621.2003.00698.x] CrossRef
- Fasoranti, J.O., Ajiboye, D.O., 1993. Some edible insects of Kwara State, Nigeria. American Entomologist, 39:113–116.
- Goodman, W.G., 1989. Chitin: a magic bullet? The Food Insect Newsletter, 3:6–9.
- Kinsella, J.E., 1976. Functional properties of protein foods. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1:219–229.
- Markkar, A.O.S., Goodchild, A.V., 1996. Quantification of Tannins. A Laboratory Manual. International Centre for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas (ICARDA) Press, Aleppo, Syria, p.4–25.
- Mba, A.U., 1980. Chemical composition of some local sources of protein foods for man. Nigerian Journal of Nutritional Science, 1:142–147.
- Mwizenge, S.T., 1993. Delicious insects: seasonal delicacies in the diet of rural Zambians. World and I, 8:234.
- NRC (National Research Council), 1980. Recommended Dietary Allowances, 9th Ed. Nat. Acad. Sci., Washington DC.
- Oshodi, A.A., 1992. Proximate composition, nutritionally valuable minerals and functional properties of Adenopus breviflorus benth seed flour and protein concentrate. Food Chemistry, 45:79–83. [doi:10.1016/0308-8146(92)90013-R] CrossRef
- Pearson, D., 1976. Chemical Analysis of Foods, 7th Ed. Churchill, Livingstone, London, p.7–11.
- Perutz, M.F., 1978. Electrostatic effects in proteins. Science, 201:1187–1189.
- Reddy, N.R., Balakrishnan, C.N., Salunkhe, D.K., 1978. Phytate, phosphorus and mineral changes during germination and cooking of black grain (Phaseolus mungo L.) seeds. Journal of Food Science, 43:540.
- Robert, K., 1989. The application of industrial technology for production of insects as food. The food Insect Newsletter, 3:3.
- Sathe, S.K., Salunkhe, D.K., 1981. Functional properties of the Great Northern Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) proteins: emulsion, foaming, viscosity and gelation properties. Journal of Food Science, 46:71–74.
- Sutton, M.Q., 1988. Insects as food: aboriginal entomophagy in the Great Basin. Anthropol. Papers, 33:115.
- Udoh, A.P., Effiong, R.I., Edem, D.O., 1985. Nutrient composition of dogwhelk (Thais cattifera), a protein source for humans. Tropical Science, 35:64–67.
- Vijayakumari, K., Siddhuraju, P., Janardhanan, K., 1997. Effect of domestic processing on the levels of certain antinutrients in Prosopis chilensis seeds (Molina) Stunz. Food Chemistry, 59:367–371. [doi:10.1016/S0308-8146(96)00249-X] CrossRef
- Wheeler, E.L., Ferrel, R.E., 1971. A method for phytic acid determination in wheat and wheat fractions. Cereal Chem., 48:312–320.
- Yasumatsu, K., Sawada, K., Moritaka, S., Misalei, M., Toda, J., Wada, T., Ishii, K., 1972. Whipping and emulsifying properties of soybean products. Agric. Biol. Chem., 36:719–727.
- Yoloye, V.L., 1988. Basic Invertebrate Zoology, 1st Ed. University of Ilorin Press, Ilorin, p.192.
- Nutritional quality, functional properties and anti-nutrient compositions of the larva of Cirina forda (Westwood) (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae)
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 51-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cirina forda
- Protein solubility
- Mineral analysis
- Proximate composition
- O.T. Omotoso (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Zoology, University of Ado-Ekiti, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti state, Nigeria