Determining driving resistance with rebound of pile-top during pile driving
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a method to determine driving resistance with rebound of pile-top during pile driving. The soil around the pile shaft is assumed to be rigid-plastic, while that under the pile-tip is assumed to be ideally elastoplastic. The driving force acting on the pile-top is simplified to a triangular impact force. The kinematic equation of the pile-tip is established. From the one-dimensional wave equation, the movements of the pile-tip and pile-top are determined. The rebound at the pile-top can be written in a very concise form. It is shown that the shaft resistance makes the rebound at the pile-top decrease. In particular, when the pile is very long or the soil around the pile is very stiff, the decrease is very obvious.
- Chen, R. P., Chen Y. M., 2000. Theoretical study on effect of pile shaft resistance on rebound during pile driving. Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles, Brazil.
- Chen, Y. M., Wu, S. M., Weele, A. F., et al. 1996. Determining soil resistance from pile driving by using an accelerometer. Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles, USA.
- Chen, Y. M., Chen, R. P., Wu, S. M. (1997) Determining Static Resistance at Pile-tip during driving with Acceleration of pile-top. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 19: pp. 16-21
- Smith, E. A. L. (1960) Pile driving analysis by the wave equation. J. Soil Mech. & Found. Eng. Div. ASCE 86: pp. 35-61
- Uto, K., Fuyuki, M. and Omori, H., 1992. New development of pile driving management system. Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles. the Hague, p. 351–356.
- Weele, A. F. and Schellingerhout, A. F. G., 1994. Efficient driving of precast concrete piles. Proc. Conf. Development in Geotech. Eng., Bangkok.
- Determining driving resistance with rebound of pile-top during pile driving
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 179-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- pile driving
- soil resistance
- Smith model
- TU473.1+ 3
- Industry Sectors