Accumulation of 1-deoxynojirimycin in silkworm, Bombyx mori L.
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
1-deoxynojirimycin (1-DNJ) contents in the silkworm, Bombyx mori, at different developmental stages and tissues were investigated by using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. The 1-DNJ contents of silkworm larvae change significantly with their developmental stages. The male larvae showed higher accumulation efficiency of 1-DNJ than the females and also a significant variation was observed among the silkworm strains. The present results show that tissue distribution of 1-DNJ was significantly higher in blood, digestive juice, and alimentary canal, but no 1-DNJ was observed in the silkgland. Moreover, 1-DNJ was not found in silkworms fed with artificial diet that does not contain mulberry leaf powder. This proves that silkworms obtain 1-DNJ from mulberry leaves; they could not synthesize 1-DNJ by themselves. The accumulation and excretion of 1-DNJ change periodically during the larval stage. There was no 1-DNJ in the newly-hatched larvae and 1-DNJ was mainly accumulated during the early and middle stages of every instar, while excreted at later stages of larval development. Further, it is possible to extract 1-DNJ from the larval feces and it is optimal to develop the 1-DNJ related products for diabetic auxiliary therapy.
- Asano, N., Tomioka, E., Kizu, H., Oseki, K., Matsui, K., 1994a. Sugars with nitrogen in the ring isolated from the leaves of Morus bombycis. Carbohydr. Res., 253(3):235–245. [doi:10.1016/0008-6215(94)80068-5] CrossRef
- Asano, N., Oseki, K., Tomioka, E., Kizu, H., Matsui, K., 1994b. N-containing sugars from Morus alba and their glycosidase inhibitory activities. Carbohydr. Res., 259(2): 243–255. [doi:10.1016/0008-6215(94)84060-1] CrossRef
- Asano, N., Kato, A., Miyauchi, M., Kizu, H., Kameda, Y., Watson, A.A., Nash, R.J., Fleet, G.W., 1998. Nitrogen-containing furanose and pyranose analogues from Hyacinthus orientalis. J. Nat. Prod., 61(5):625–628. [doi:10.1021/np9705726] CrossRef
- Asano, N., Nishida, M., Miyauchi, M., Ikeda, K., Yamamoto, M., Kizu, H., Kameda, Y., Watson, A.A., Nash, R.J., Fleet, G.W., 2000. Polyhydroxylated pyrrolidine and piperidine alkaloids from Adenophora triphylla var. japonica (Campanulaceae). Phytochemistry, 53(3):379–382. [doi:10.1016/S0031-9422(99)00555-5] CrossRef
- Asano, N., Yamashita, T., Yasuda, K., Ikeda, K., Kizu, H., Kameda, Y., Kata, A., Nash, R.J., Lee, H.S., Ryu, K.S., 2001. Polyhydroxylated alkaloids isolated from mulberry trees (Morus alba L.) and silkworms (Bombyx mori L.). J. Agric. Food Chem., 49(9):4208–4213. [doi:10.1021/jf010567e] CrossRef
- Han, J., Inoue, S., Isoda, H., 2007. Effects of silkworm powder on glucose absorption by human intestinal epithelial cell line Caco-2. J. Nat. Med., 61(4):387–390. [doi:10.1007/s11418-007-0164-5] CrossRef
- Hughes, A.B., Rudge, A.J., 1994. Deoxynojirimycin: synthesis and biological activity. Nat. Prod. Rep., 11(2):135–162. [doi:10.1039/np9941100135] CrossRef
- Kim, H.S., Kim, Y.H., Hong, Y.S., Paek, N.S., Lee, H.S., Kim, T.H., Kim, K.W., Lee, J.J., 1999. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors from commelina communis. Planta Med., 65(5): 437–439. [doi:10.1055/s-2006-960803] CrossRef
- Kim, J.W., Kim, S.U., Lee, H.S., Kim, I., Ahn, M.Y., Ryu, K.S., 2003. Determination of 1-deoxynojirimycin in Morus alba L. leaves by derivatization with 9-fluorenylmethyl chloroformate followed by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr. A, 1002(1–2):93–99. [doi:10.1016/S0021-9673(03)00728-3] CrossRef
- Kimura, T., Nakagawa, K., Kubota, H., Kojima, Y., Yamaqishi, K., Oita, S., Oikawa, S., Miyazawa, T., 2007. Food-grade mulberry powder enriched with 1-deoxynojirimycin suppresses the elevation of postprandial blood glucose in humans. J. Agric. Food Chem., 55(14):5869–5874. [doi:10.1021/jf062680g] CrossRef
- Ryu, K.S., Lee, H.S., Chung, S.H., Kang, P.D., 1997. An activity of lowering blood-glucose levels according to preparative condition of silkworm powder. Kor. J. Seric. Sci., 39(1):79–85.
- Ryu, K.S., Lee, H.S., Kim, S.Y., 1999. Pharmacodynamic study of silkworm powder in mice administered to maltose, sucrose and lactose. Kor. J. Seric. Sci., 41(1):9–13.
- Yatsunami, K., Ichida, M., Onodera, S., 2008. The relationship between 1-deoxynojirimycin content and alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activity in leaves of 276 mulberry cultivars (Morus spp.) in Kyoto. Jpn Nat. Med. (Tokyo), 62(1):63–66.
- Yoshikaki, A., Hivonu, M., 1976. The structure of moranoline, a piperidine alkaloid form Morus species. Nippon Nogei Kagaku Kaishi, 50(11):571–572.
- Yoshikuni, Y., 1988. Inhibition of intestinal alpha-glucosidase activity and postprandial hyperglycemia by moranoline and its N-alkyl derivatives. Agric. Biol. Chem., 52(1): 121–128.
- Yoshikuni, Y., Ezure, Y., Aoyagi, Y., Enomoto, H., 1988. Inhibition of intestinal alpha-glucosidase and postprandial hyperglycemia by N-substituted moranoline derivatives. J. Pharmacobiodyn., 11(5):356–362.
- Accumulation of 1-deoxynojirimycin in silkworm, Bombyx mori L.
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 286-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- 1-deoxynojirimycin (1-DNJ)
- Bombyx mori
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Key Laboratory of Agricultural Ecology and Environment, College of Forestry, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, 271018, China
- 2. Institute of Sericultural Sciences of Sichuan Province, Nanchong, 637000, China
- 3. College of Animal Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310029, China