Insecticidal activity of the medicinal plant, Alstonia boonei De Wild, against Sesamia calamistis Hampson
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The bioactivity of the aqueous extracts of the leaf and stem bark of the medicinal plant, Alstonia boonei De Wild (Apocyanaceae), against the pink stalk borer, Sesamia calamistis Hampson (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) was studied in a laboratory bioassay. The extracts were incorporated into artificial diet at a rate of 0.0% (control), 1.0%, 2.5%, 5.0%, and 10.0% (w/w). Both extracts significantly (P<0.01) reduced larval survival and weight in a dose dependent manner. The concentrations that killed 50% of the larvae (LC50) for the stem bark extract were 2.8% and 2.1% at 10 and 20 DAI (days after introduction), respectively, while those for the leaves extract were 5.6% and 3.5%. The weights of the larvae also varied significantly (P<0.05) between the treatments in a dose dependent manner. We conclude that both leaf and stem bark extracts of A. boonei are toxic, used as growth inhibitors to S. calamistis larvae, and hold good promise for use as alternative crop protectants against S. calamistis.
- Abel, C., Busia, K., 2005. An Exploratory Ethnobotanical Study of the Practice of Herbal Medicine by the Akan Peoples of Ghana (Ethnobotanical Study: Herbal medicine in Ghana). Alternative Medicine Review, p.42.
- Akhtar, Y., Isman, M.B., 2004. Comparative growth inhibitory and antifeedant effects of plant extracts and pure allelochemicals on four phytophagous insect species. Journal of Applied Entomology, 128(1):32–38. [doi:10.1046/j.1439-0418.2003.00806.x] CrossRef
- Anonymous, 1992. Monograph of Alstonia Bark. In: Ghana Herbal Pharmacopoeia. The Advent Press, Accra Ghana, p.10–12.
- Anonymous, 2001. Earthnotes Herb Library. Ernestinar Parziale CH.
- Betti, J.L., 2004. An ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants among the Baka Pygmies in the dja biosphere reserve, Cameroon. African Study Monographs, 25(1):1–27.
- Bosque-Perez, N.A., Mareck, Z.T., 1990. Distribution and composition of Lepidopterous maize borers in southern Nigeria. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 80:363–368.
- Bruce, Y.A., Gounou, S., Chabi-Olaye, A., Smith, H., Schulthess, F., 2004. The effect of neem (Azadirachta indica A Juss) oil on oviposition, development and reproductive potentials of Sesamia calamistis Hampson (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and Eldana saccharina Walker (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 6(3):223–232. [doi:10.1111/j.1461-9555.2004.00218.x] CrossRef
- El-Lakwah, F.A., Hamed, M.S., Abdel-Latif, A.M., 1996. Effectiveness of Lantana camera and Nerium oleander extracts alone and in mixtures with two insecticides against Rhizopertha dominica (F.). Annals of Agricultural Science Moshtohor, 34:1879–1905.
- Erturk, O., 2006. Antifeedant and toxicity effects of some plant extract on Thaumetopoae solitaria Frey. (Lep.: Thaumetopoeidae). Turkish Journal of Biology, 30:51–57.
- Fasola, T.R., Egunyomi, A., 2005. Nigerian usage of bark in phytomedicine. Ethnobotany Research and Applications, 3:73–77.
- Jackai, L.E.N., Raulston, J.R., 1988. Rearing the legume pod borer, Maruca testulalis Geyer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) on artificial diet. Tropical Pest Management, 34(2):168–172. CrossRef
- James, B., Caulibaly, O., Gbaguidi, B., 2003. New solutions for cowpea production in Africa. Pesticide News, 61:12–13.
- Jeong, S.E., Lee, Y., Hwang, J.H., Knipple, D.C., 2001. Effects of the sap of the common oleander Nerium indicum (Apocyanaceae) on male fertility and spermatogenesis in the oriental tobacco budworm Helicoverpa assulta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). The Journal of Experimental Biology, 204:3935–3942.
- Kabaru, J.M., Gichia, L., 2001. Insecticidal activity of extracts derived from different parts of the mangrove tree Rhizophora mucronata (Rhizophoraceae) Lam. against three arthropods. African Journal of Science and Technology: Science and Engineering Series, 2(2):44–49.
- Kfir, R., Overholt, W.A., Khan, Z.A., Polaszek, A., 2002. Biology and management of economically important lepidopteran cereal stem borers in Africa. Annual Review of Entomology, 47(1):701–703. [doi:10.1146/annurev.ento.47.091201.145254] CrossRef
- Maala, E., Kiiya, W., Omollo, P., Omondi, P., 2000. Participatory Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Locally Known Plant Extracts and Insecticides In Controlling Maize Stalk Borer. http://www.kari.org/Legume_Project/Legume2Conf_2000/44.pdf
- McLaughlin, J.L., Freedman, B., Powel, S., Smith, C.R.Jr, 1980. Neriifolin and 2′ acetyl neriifolin insecticidal and cytotoxic agents of Thevitia thevetoides seeds. Journal of Economic Entomology, 73:398–402.
- Oigiangbe, O.N., Igbinosa, I.B., Tamo, M., 2007. Bioactivity of extracts of Alstonia boonei (Apocynaceae) De Wild Stem Bark against Maruca vitrata (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) Fabricius. Advances in Science and Technology, 1(1):67–70.
- Phillipson, J.D., O’Neill, M.J., Wright, C.W., Bray, D.H., Warhurst, D.C., 1987. Plants as Sources of Antimalarial and Amoebicidal Compounds. In: Medicinal and Poisonous Plants of the Tropics: Proceedings of Symposium 5∼35 of the 14th International Botanical Congress. Berlin, July 24∼Aug. 1 1987, p.70–78.
- Raju, M., Thakur, K., Maruthi, R.G., 1990. Sterilizing activity of the flower extract of Thevitia neriifolia on the male fifth instar nymph of red cotton bug, Dysdercus similis F. (Heteroptera: Pyrrhocoridae). Journal of Animal Morphology and Physiology, 37:77–78.
- Sadek, M.M., 2003. Antifeedant and toxic activity of Adhatoda vasica leaf extract against Spodoptera littoralis (Lep.: Noctuidae). Journal of Applied Entomology, 127(7):396–404. [doi:10.1046/j.1439-0418.2003.00775.x] CrossRef
- Terashima, H., 2003. Names, use and attributes of plants and animals among the Ituri forest foragers: a comparative ethnobotanical and ethnozoological study. African Study Monographs, 28(Suppl.):7–24.
- Verkerk, R.H.J., Wright, D.J., 1993. Biological activity of neem seed kernel extracts and synthetic azadirachtin against larvae of Plutella xyllostella L. Pesticide Science, 37(1):83–91. [doi:10.1002/ps.2780370113] CrossRef
- Insecticidal activity of the medicinal plant, Alstonia boonei De Wild, against Sesamia calamistis Hampson
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B
Volume 8, Issue 10 , pp 752-755
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- Alstonia boonei
- Sesamia calamistis
- Growth inhibitors