How to repair the Hill cipher
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Hill cipher algorithm is one of the symmetric key algorithms that have several advantages in data encryption. However, a main drawback of this algorithm is that it encrypts identical plaintext blocks to identical ciphertext blocks and cannot encrypt images that contain large areas of a single color. Thus, it does not hide all features of the image which reveals patterns in the plaintext. Moreover, it can be easily broken with a known plaintext attack revealing weak security. This paper presents a variant of the Hill cipher that overcomes these disadvantages. The proposed technique adjusts the encryption key to form a different key for each block encryption. Visually and computationally, experimental results demonstrate that the proposed variant yields higher security and significantly superior encryption quality compared to the original one.
- Barr, T.H., 2002. Invitation to Cryptography. Prentice Hall.
- Chen, G., Mao, Y., Chui, C.K. (2004) A symmetric image encryption scheme based on 3D chaotic cat maps. Chaos, Soliton & Fractals 21: pp. 749-761 CrossRef
- Elkamchouchi, H., Makar, M.A., 2005. Measuring Encryption Quality of Bitmap Images Encrypted with Rijndael and KAMKAR Block Ciphers. Proc. Twenty Second National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2005), Cairo, Egypt.
- Lerma, M.A., 2005. Modular Arithmetic. Http://www.math.northwestern.edu/:_mlerma/problem_solving/results/modular_arith.pdf.
- Li, S., Zheng, X., 2002. On the Security of an Image Encryption Method. ICIP2002. Http://www.hooklee.com/Papers/ICIP2002.pdf.
- Overbey, J., Traves, W., Wojdylo, J. (2005) On the keyspace of the Hill cipher. Cryptologia 29: pp. 59-72
- Petersen, K., 2000. Notes on Number Theory and Cryptography. Http://www.math.unc.edu/Faculty/petersen/Coding/cr2.pdf.
- Saeednia, S. (2000) How to make the Hill cipher secure. Cryptologia 24: pp. 353-360
- Stinson, D.R. (2002) Cryptography Theory and Practice. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida
- Ziedan, I., Fouad, M., Salem, D.H., 2003. Application of Data Encryption Standard to Bitmap and JPEG Images. Proc. Twentieth National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2003), Egypt. [doi:10.1109/NRSC.2003.1217349]
- How to repair the Hill cipher
Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A
Volume 7, Issue 12 , pp 2022-2030
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Zhejiang University Press
- Additional Links
- Hill cipher
- Image encryption
- Modified Hill cipher
- Quality of encryption
- Industry Sectors