Correlation between Yield Stress and Slump: Comparison between Numerical Simulations and Concrete Rheometers Results
- N. Roussel
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Results of numerical flow simulations for two slump geometries, the ASTM Abrams cone and a paste cone, are presented. These results are compared to experimental results in the case of a cone filled with cement pastes in order to validate the proposed numerical method and the chosen boundary conditions. The correlation between slump and yield stress obtained numerically for the ASTM Abrams cone is then compared to the experimental correlations obtained by testing concrete with different rheometers during comparative studies that were organized at LCPC Nantes (France) in 2000 and MB Cleveland (USA) in 2003.
- Shaughnessy R, Clark PE (1988) The rheological behaviour of fresh cement pastes. Cem Concr Res, 18:327–341. CrossRef
- Nehdi M, Rahman M-A (2004) Estimating rheological properties of cement pastes using various rheological models for different test geometry, gap and surface friction. Cement Concrete Res., 34:1993–2007. CrossRef
- De Larrard F, Hu C (1996) The rheology of fresh high-performance concrete. Cem Conc Res, 26(2):283–294. CrossRef
- Operating manual (2000) the BML viscometer, the viscometer 4, Con Tec.
- Tatersall GH, Bloomer SJ (1979) further development of the two-point test for workability and extension of its range. Magazine of Concrete Research 31:202–210. CrossRef
- ASTM Designation C-143-90 (1996) Standard test method for slump of hydraulic cement concrete. Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 04.01, Am. Soc. Test. Mat., Easton, MD, pp. 85–87.
- Ferraris CF, Brower LE editors (2001) Comparison of concrete rheometers: International tests at LCPC (Nantes, France) in October, 2000. National Institute of Standards and Technology Interagency Report (NISTIR) 6819.
- Ferraris CF, Brower LE editors (2004) Comparison of concrete rheometers: International tests at MB (Cleveland OH, USA) in May, 2003. National Institute of Standards and Technology Interagency Report (NISTIR) 7154.
- ASTM Designation C230/C230M-03, Standard Specification for Flow Table for Use in Tests of Hydraulic Cement. Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 04.01, Am. Soc. Test. Mat., Easton, MD (2004).
- Nguyen QD, Boger DV (1985) Direct yield stress measurement with the vane method. J. Rheol., 29:335–347. CrossRef
- Murata J (1984) Flow and deformation of fresh concrete. Materials and Structures RILEM, 98:117–129.
- Schowalter WR, Christensen G (1998) Toward a rationalization of the slump test for fresh concrete: comparisons of calculations and experiments. J. Rheol., 42(4):865–870. CrossRef
- Clayton S, Grice TG, Boger DV (2003) Analysis of the slump test for on-site yield stress measurement of mineral suspensions. Int. J. Miner. Process., 70:53–21. CrossRef
- Saak AW, Jennings HM, Shah SP (2004) A generalized approach for the determination of yield stress by slump and slump flow. Cem Concr Res 34:363–371. CrossRef
- Pashias N, Boger DV, Summers J, Glenister DJ (1996) a fifty cent rheometer for yield stress measurements. J. Rheol. 40(6):1179–1189. CrossRef
- Hu C, de Larrard F, Sedran T, Boulay C, Bosc F, Deflorenne F (1996) Validation of BTRHEOM, the new rheometer for soft-to-fluid concrete. Materials and Structures, RILEM, 29(194):620–631. CrossRef
- Coussot P, Proust S, Ancey C (1996) Rheological interpretation of deposits of yield stress fluids. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 66(1):55–70. CrossRef
- Covey GH, Stanmore BR (1981). Use of the parallel plate plastometer for the characterisation of viscous fluids with a yield stress, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 8:249–260. CrossRef
- Lipscomb GG, Denn MM (1984) Flow of Bingham fluids in complex geometries. J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 14:337–346. CrossRef
- Wilson SDR (1993) Squeezing flow of a Bingham material. J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 47:211–219. CrossRef
- Adams MJ, Aydin I, Briscoe BJ, Sinha SK (1997) A finite element analysis of the squeeze flow of an elasto-viscoplastic paste material. J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 71:41–57. CrossRef
- Coussot P, Ancey C (1999) Rhéophysique des pâtes et des suspensions, EDP Sciences, (in French).
- Petersson O (2003) Simulation of Self-Compacting Concrete- Laboratory experiments and numerical modelling of testing method, Jring and L-Box test’, Proceedings of the 3rd international RILEM Symposium on Self-Compacting Concrete, RILEM PRO33 Reykjavik, Iceland, 202–207.
- Martys NS (2005) Study of a dissipative particle dynamics based approach for modeling suspensions. Journal of Rheology 49(2):401–424. CrossRef
- Wallevik JE (2003) Rheology of particle suspensions; Fresh Concrete, Mortar and Cement Pastes with Various Types of Lignosulfonates. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Structural Engineering, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Tanigawa Y, Mori H (1989) Analytical study on deformation of fresh concrete, Journal of Engineering Mechanics 115(3):493–508. CrossRef
- Hu C (1995) Rheologie des bétons fluids (rheology of fluid concretes), thèse de doctorat de l'ENPC (PhD Thesis) France (In French).
- Chamberlain JA, Clayton S, Landman KA, Sader JE (2003) Experimental validation of incipient failure of yield stress materials under gravitational loading, Journal of Rheology, 47(6):1317–1329. CrossRef
- Tatersall GH, Banfill PGF (1983) The Rheology of Fresh Concrete, Pitman, London.
- O'Donovan EJ, Tanner RI (1984) Numerical study of the Bingham squeeze film problem. J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech, 15:75–83. CrossRef
- Papanastasiou TC (1987) Flows of Materials with yield. J. Rheol., 31:385–404. CrossRef
- Flow3D version 8.1, User's manual, volume 1, 2004.
- Oldroyd JG (1947) A rational formulation of the equations of plastic flow for a Bingham solid. Proc. Camb. Philos. Soc., 43:100–105. CrossRef
- Correlation between Yield Stress and Slump: Comparison between Numerical Simulations and Concrete Rheometers Results
Materials and Structures
Volume 39, Issue 4 , pp 501-509
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- N. Roussel (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. LCPC Paris, Paris, France