Protein Kinase C Blockade Inhibits Differentiation of Myeloid Blasts into Dendritic Cells by Calcium Ionophore A23187
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Direct differentiation of myeloid leukemia blasts into antigen-presenting dendritic cells (DCs) for use as cellular vaccines is unique in that identification of tumor-specific antigens may not be necessary because the antigens should already be endogenously expressed.We hypothesized that signaling through protein kinase C (PKC) is required for differentiation of HL-60 promyeloblasts into DCs upon stimulation with calcium ionophore A23187. To demonstrate the inhibitory effect of PKC blockade, we pretreated HL-60 myeloid blasts with the protein kinase inhibitor bisindolylmaleimide I (Bis-1) for 24 hours and then treated the cells with calcium ionophore A23187 for an additional 24 hours. Controls consisted of HL-60 blasts treated with A23187, Bis-1 alone, or media.We noted that blasts cultured in media, Bis-1, or Bis-1 then A23187 did not develop the morphologic and phenotypic DC characteristics, up-regulate Rel B, or activate allogeneic T-cells. Our findings suggested that PKC blockade inhibits morphologic, phenotypic, and functional differentiation of HL-60 promyeloblasts into antigen-presenting DCs. Our findings supported the role of PKC as an obligatory pathway for calcium ionophore A23187-induced differentiation of HL-60 myeloblasts into antigen-presenting DCs.
- Timmerman JM, Levy R. Dendritic cell vaccines for cancer immunotherapy. Annu Rev Med. 1999;50:507–529. CrossRef
- Fong L, Engleman EG. Dendritic cells in cancer immunotherapy. Annu Rev Immunol. 2000;18:245–273. CrossRef
- Banchereau J, Briere F, Caux C, et al. Immunobiology of dendritic cells. Annu Rev Immunol. 2000;18:767–811. CrossRef
- Tarte K, Klein B. Dendritic cell-based vaccine: a promising approach for cancer immunotherapy. Leukemia. 1999;13:653–663. CrossRef
- St. Louis DC, Woodcock JB, Fransozo G, et al. Evidence for distinct intracellular signaling pathways in CD34+ progenitor to dendritic cell differentiation from a human cell line model. J Immunol. 1999;162:3237–3248.
- Davis TA, Saini AA, Blair PJ, et al. Phorbol esters induce differentiation of human CD34+ hemopoietic progenitors to dendritic cells: evidence for protein kinase C-mediated signaling. J Immunol. 1998;160:3689–3697.
- Choudhury BA, Liang JC, Thomas EK, et al. Dendritic cells derived in vitro from acute myelogenous leukemia cells stimulate autologous, anti-leukemic T-cell responses. Blood. 1999;93:780–786.
- Czerniecki BJ, Carter C, Rivoltini L, et al. Calcium ionophoretreated peripheral blood monocytes and dendritic cells rapidly display characteristics of activated dendritic cells. J Immunol. 1997;159:3823–3837.
- Koski GK, Schwartz GN, Weng DE, et al. Calcium mobilization in human myeloid cells results in acquisition of individual dendritic cell-like characteristics through discrete signaling pathways. J Immunol. 1999;163:82–92.
- Engels FH, Kreisel D, Faries MB, et al. Calcium ionophore activation of chronic myelogenous leukemia progenitor cells into dendritic cells is mediated by calcineurin phosphatase. Leukemia Res. 2000;24:795–804. CrossRef
- Waclavicek M, Berer A, Oehler L, et al. Calcium ionophore: a single reagent for the differentiation of primary human acute myelogenous leukaemia cells towards dendritic cells. Br J Haematol. 2001;114:466–473. CrossRef
- Toker A. Protein kinases as mediators of phosphoinositide 3- kinase signaling. Mol Pharmacol. 2000;57:652–658.
- Toker A. Signaling through protein kinase C. Front Biosci. 1998;3: D1134-D1147.
- LaPorte DC, Wierman BM, Storm DR. Calcium-induced exposure of a hydrophobic surface on calmodulin. Biochemistry. 1980;19:3814–3819. CrossRef
- Kuznicki J, Grabarek Z, Brzeska H, Drabikowski W, Cohen P. Stimulation of enzyme activities by fragments of calmodulin. FEBS Lett. 1981;130:141–145. CrossRef
- Simms PE, Ellis TM. Utility of flow cytometric detection of CD69 expression as a rapid method for determining poly- and oligoclonal lymphocyte activation. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1996;3:301–304.
- June CH, Ledbetter JA, Gillespie MM, Lindsten T, Thompson CB. T-cell proliferation involving the CD28 pathway is associated with cyclosporine-resistant interleukin 2 gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1987;12:4472–4481.
- Burkly L, Hession C, Ogata L, et al. Expression of relB is required for the development of thymic medulla and dendritic cells. Nature. 1995;373:531–536. CrossRef
- O’Sullivan BJ, MacDonald KP, Pettit AR, Thomas R. RelB nuclear translocation regulates B cell MHC molecule, CD40 expression, and antigen-presenting cell function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:11421–11426. CrossRef
- Lindner I, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Ayala E, et al. Induced dendritic cell differentiation of chronic myeloid leukemia blasts is associated with down-regulation of BCR-ABL. J Immunol. 2003;171:1780–1791.
- Groux H, Fournier N, Cottrez F. Role of dendritic cells in the generation of regulatory T cells. Semin Immunol. 2004;16:99–106. CrossRef
- Quah B, Ni K, O’Neill HC. In vitro hematopoiesis produces a distinct class of immature dendritic cells from spleen progenitors with limited T cell stimulation capacity. Int Immunol. 2004;16:567–577. CrossRef
- Jung CW, Kwon JH, Seol JG, et al. Induction of cytotoxic T lymphocytes by dendritic cells pulsed with murine leukemic cell RNA. Am J Hematol. 2004;75:121–127. CrossRef
- Minami T, Nakanishi Y, Izumi M, Harada T, Hara N. Enhancement of antigen-presenting capacity and antitumor immunity of dendritic cells pulsed with autologous tumor-derived RNA in mice. J Immunother. 2003;26:420–431. CrossRef
- Schmidt T, Ziske C, Marten A, et al. Intratumoral immunization with tumor RNA-pulsed dendritic cells confers antitumor immunity in a C57BL/6 pancreatic murine tumor model. Cancer Res. 2003;63:8962–8967.
- Westers TM, Stam AM, Scheper RM, et al. Rapid generation of antigen-presenting cells from leukaemic blasts in acute myeloid leukaemia. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2003;52:17–27. CrossRef
- Roddie PH, Horton Y, Turner ML. Primary acute myeloid leukaemia blasts resistant to cytokine-induced differentiation to dendritic-like leukaemia cells can be forced to differentiate by the addition of bryostatin-1. Leukemia. 2002;16:84–93. CrossRef
- Jonuleit H, Kuhn U, Muller G, et al. Pro-inflammatory cytokines and prostaglandins induce maturation of potent immunostimulatory dendritic cells under fetal calf serum-free conditions. Eur J Immunol. 1997;27:3135–3142. CrossRef
- Charbonnier A, Gaugler B, Sainty D, et al. Human acute myeloblastic leukemia cells differentiate in vitro into mature dendritic cells and induce the differentiation of cytotoxic T cells against autologous leukemias. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:2567–2578. CrossRef
- Gekeler V, Boer R, Uberall F, et al. Effects of the selective bisindolylmaleimide protein kinase C inhibitor GF 109203X on P-glycoprotein- mediated multidrug resistance. Br J Cancer. 1996;74:897–905.
- Protein Kinase C Blockade Inhibits Differentiation of Myeloid Blasts into Dendritic Cells by Calcium Ionophore A23187
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 81, Issue 2 , pp 131-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Protein kinase C
- Calcium ionophore A23187
- Dendritic cells
- HL-60 myeloblasts
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Hematology-Oncology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and OU Cancer Center, Oklahoma City
- 2. Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 920 Stanton L.Young Blvd, WP 2080, 73104, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- 3. Division of Hematology-Oncology and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA