Successful Treatment of Idiopathic Hypereosinophilic Syndrome with Imatinib Mesylate: A Case Report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Patients with idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) show persistent hypereosinophilia of unknown etiology that is associated with end-organ damage. Different treatments, including the use of corticosteroids and cytotoxics, have been investigated for HES with modest success. We describe a patient with HES who had significant end-organ damage from hypereosinophilia and remained refractory to conventional therapy. Therapy with imatinib mesylate, a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor that is highly effective in treating patients with BCR-ABL-positive chronic myeloid leukemia, was tried with the patient. The result was impressive, with hematologic remission achieved after 12 days of administration. Our finding concurs with recent reports that imatinib mesylate may be a promising agent in the treatment of some cases of HES.
- Weller PF, Bubley GJ. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Blood. 1994;83:2759–2779.
- Chusid MJ, Dale DC, West BC, Wolff SM. The hypereosinophilic syndrome: analysis of fourteen cases with review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 1975;54:1–27. CrossRef
- Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM, Pardanani A, Tefferi A, Butterfield JH. Treatment of hypereosinophilic syndrome with imatinib mesilate. Lancet. 2002;359:1577–1578. CrossRef
- Cortes J, Ault P, Koller C, et al. Efficacy of imatinib mesylate in the treatment of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Blood. 2003; 101:4714–4716. CrossRef
- Cools J, DeAngelo DJ, Gotlib J, et al. A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1201–1214. CrossRef
- Apperley JF, Gardembas, Melo JV, et al. Response to imatinib mesylate in patients with chronic myeloproliferative diseases with rearrangements of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:481–487. CrossRef
- Bain BJ. Eosinophilic leukaemias and the idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Br J Haematol. 1996;95:2–9.
- Flaum MA, Schooley RT, Fauci AS, Gralnick HR. A clinicopathologic correlation of the idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome, I: hematologic manifestations. Blood. 1981;58:1012–1020.
- Parrilo JE, Fauci AS, Wolff SM. Therapy of the hypereosinophilic syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1978;89:167–179.
- Parillo JE, Lawley TJ, Frank MM, Kaplan AP, Fauci AS. Immunologic reactivity in the hypereosinophilic syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1979;64:113–121. CrossRef
- Izumi T, Kishimoto S, Takano T, et al. Expression of human platelet-activating factor receptor gene in EoL-1 cells following butyrate-induced differentiation. Biochem J. 1995;305:829–835.
- Seguchi M, Nakajima S. Induction of ICAM-1 expression on the eosinophilic leukemia cell line-3 (EoL-3) by platelet-activating factor and platelet factor 4. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 1995;74:255–257.
- Spry CJ, Davies J, Tai PC, Olsen EG, Oakley CM, Goodwin JF. Clinical features of fifteen patients with the hypereosinophilic syndrome. Q J Med. 1983;52:1–22.
- Smit AJ, van Essen LH, de Vries EG. Successful long-term control of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome with etoposide. Cancer. 1991;67:2826–2827. CrossRef
- Murphy PT, Fennelly DF, Stuart M, O'Donnell JR. Alfa-interferon in a case of hypereosinophilic syndrome. Br J Haematol. 1990;75:619–620. CrossRef
- Zilinsky RM, Lawrence WD. Interferon-a for the hypereosinophilic syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1990;113:716–718.
- Archimbaud E, Guyotat D, Guillaume C, Godard J, Fiere D. Hypereosinophilic syndrome with multiple organ dysfunction treated by allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Am J Hematol. 1988;27:302–303. CrossRef
- Esteva-Lorenzo FJ, Meechan KR, Spitzer TR, Mazumder A. Allogeneic bone marrow transplant in a patient with hypereosinophilic syndrome. Am J Hematol. 1996;51:164–165. CrossRef
- Sigmund DA, Flessa HC. Hypereosinophilic syndrome: successful allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 1995;15:647–648.
- Fukushima T, Kuriyama K, Ito H, et al. Successful bone marrow transplantation for idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Br J Haematol. 1995;90:213–215. CrossRef
- Successful Treatment of Idiopathic Hypereosinophilic Syndrome with Imatinib Mesylate: A Case Report
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 80, Issue 1 , pp 75-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome
- Imatinib mesylate
- Industry Sectors