Aqueous two-phase extraction and purification of animal proteins
- Dr. Michael J. Boland
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Aqueous two-phase systems provide a rapid, easily scalable method for separation of soluble proteins from insoluble materials and other undesired proteins. The method can be operated in continuous mode. It is particularly useful for animal proteins, as it overcomes difficulties of other methods in removing bulk insoluble material, while at the same time providing purification with respect to total soluble protein. This article describes the development of methods for aqueous two-phase extraction and purification of animal proteins, at both laboratory and pilot scale. The strengths, weaknesses, and possible future prospects for the method are discussed.
- Boland, M. J. (1990) Extraction of proteins from animal tissue using multiphase aqueous systems. Bioseparations 1, 293–304.
- Cole, K. D., Lee, T. K., and Lubon, H. (1997) Aqueous two-phase partitioning of milk proteins. Application to human protein C secreted in pig milk. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 1, 97–112.
- Harris, D. P., Andrews, A. T., Wright, D., Pyle, D. L., and Asenjo, J. A. (1997) The application of aqueous two-phase systems to the purification of pharmaceutical proteins from transgenic sheep milk. Bioseparation 7, 31–37. CrossRef
- Ollero, M., Garcia-Lopez, N., Perez-Re, R., Cebrian-Perez, J. A., and Muino-Blanco, T. (1997) Surface changes of ram spermatozoa by adsorption of homologous and heterologous seminal plasma proteins revealed by partition in an aqueous two-phase system. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 9, 381–390. CrossRef
- Perez, M. T., Garcia-Perez, A. I., Lucas, L., and Sancho, P. (1996) A single partitioning step in aqueous polymer two-phase systems reduces hypnotized rat erthrocyte heterogeneity. J. Chromatog. B. Biomed. Appl. 17, 680 183–188. CrossRef
- Fritsch, M., Anderson, I. Leary, C. M., and Gorski J (1997) Two populations of the estrogen receptor separated and characterized using aqueous two-phase partitioning. Biochemistry 20, 6230–6242. CrossRef
- Walker, S. G., Dale, C. J., and Lyddiatt, A. (1996) Aqueous two-phase partitioning of complex protein feedstocks derived from brain tissue homogenates. J. Chromatog. B. Biomed. Appl. 17, 680 91–96. CrossRef
- Tolstoguzov, V. (2000) Compositions and phase diagrams for aqueous systems based on proteins and polysaccharides. Int. Rev. Cytol. 192, 3–31. CrossRef
- Johansson, G. and Walter, H. (2000) Partitioning and concentrating biomaterials in aqueous phase systems. Int. Rev. Cytol. 192, 33–60.
- Gehrke, S. H., Vaid, N. R., and McBride J. F. (1998) Protein sorption and recovery by hydrogels using principles of aqueous two-phase extraction. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 20, 416–427. CrossRef
- Johansson, G. and Kopperschlager, G. (1987) Effects of organic solvents on the partitioning of enzymes in aqueous two-phase systems. J. Chromatogr. 388, 295–305. CrossRef
- Boland, M. J., Hesselink, P. G. M., and Hustedt, H. (1989) Extractive purification of enzymes from animal tissue using aqueous phase systems. J. Biotechnol. 11, 337–352. CrossRef
- Tjerneld, F., Berner, S., Cajarville, A., and Johansson, G. (1986) New aqueous two-phase system based on hydroxypropyl starch useful for enzyme purification. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 8, 417–423. CrossRef
- Alves, J. G., Chumpitaz, L. D., da Silva, L. H., Franco, T. T., and Meirelles, A. J. (2000) J. Chromatogr. B. Biomed. Sci. Appl. 23, 235–239. CrossRef
- Johansson, G. and Joelsson, M. (1987) Effect of polymer structure on affinity partitioning of lactate dehydrogenase in polymer-water two-phase systems. J. Chromatog. 411, 161–166. CrossRef
- Johansson, G. and Joelsson, M. (1986) Liquid-liquid extraction of lactate dehydrogenase from muscle using polymer-bound triazine dyes. Applied Biochem Biotechnol. 13, 15–27.
- Tjerneld, F., Johansson, G., and Joelsson, M. (1987) Affinity liquid-liquid extraction of lactate dehydrogenase on a large scale Biotechnol. Bioeng. 30, 809–816. CrossRef
- Joelsson, M. and Johansson, G. (1987) Sequential liquid-liquid extraction of some enzymes from porcine muscle using polymer-bound triazine dyes. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 9, 233–237. CrossRef
- Shibusawa, Y., Kihira, S., and Ito, Y. (1998) One-step purification of proteins from chicken egg white using counter-current chromatography. J. Chromatog. B. Biomed. Sci. Appl. 29, 301–305. CrossRef
- Boland, M. J., Hesselink, P. G. M., Papamichael, N., and Hustedt, H. (1991) Extractive purification of enzymes from animal tissue using aqueous two-phase systems: pilot scale studies. J. Biotechnol. 19, 19–34. CrossRef
- Johansson, G. (1996) Aqueous two-phase systems with a liquid protein (bovine serum albumin) phase for partitioning of enzymes J. Chromatog. B. Biomed. Appl. 17, 123–130. CrossRef
- Johansson, H. O., Persson, J., and Tjerneld, F. (1999) Thermoseparating water/polymer system: a novel one-polymer aqueous two-phase system for protein purification. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 66, 247–257. CrossRef
- Kopperschlager, G. (2000) Effects of specific binding reactions on the partitioning behavior of biomaterials. Int. Rev. Cytol. 192, 61–97.
- Hustedt, H., Börner, B., Kroner, K.-H., and Papamichael, N. (1987) Fully automated continuous crosscurrent extraction of enzymes in a two-stage plant. Biotechnol. Tech. 1, 49–54. CrossRef
- Hustedt, H., Kroner, K.-H., and Papamichael, N. (1988) Continuous cross-current aqueous two-phase extraction of enzymes from biomass: Automated recovery in production scale. Process Biochemistry, October 1988 129–137.
- Hustedt, H., Schutte, H., Paulssen, J., and Boland, M. J. (1990) Protein purification by two-step extraction followed by hydrophobic interaction chromatography, in Fermentation Technologies-industrial applications (Yu, P.-L., ed.), Elsevier Applied Science (London and New York), pp. 439–444.
- Schutte, H., Papamichael, N., Paulsen, J., and Hustedt, H. (1991) Integration of hydrophobic adsorption into protein purification schemes, in Fundamentals of Adsorption (3rd international conference) Mersmann, A. B. and Scholl, S. E., eds. Engineering Foundation (New York), pp. 795–803.
- Kroner, K.-H., Hustedt, H., and Kula, M.-R. (1984) Extractive enzyme recovery: economic considerations. Process Biochemistry 19, 170–179.
- Hustedt, H. (1986) Extractive enzyme recovery with simple recycling of phase forming chemicals. Biotechnol. Lett. 8, 791–796. CrossRef
- Vernan, J. and Kula, M.-R. (1989) Extraction of proteins from biological raw material using aqueous PEG-citrate phase systems. Lecture presented to the 6th International conference on phase partitioning, Assmanshausen, Germany.
- Aqueous two-phase extraction and purification of animal proteins
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 85-93
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- “Aqueous two-phase”
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New Zealand Dairy Research Institute, Private Bag 11029, Palmerston North, New Zealand