N-cadherin expression in adrenal tumors: Upregulation in malignant pheochromocytoma and downregulation in adrenocortical carcinoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cell adhesion molecules (CAMs) are important regulators of tumor growth. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the expression pattern of CAMs in adrenal tumors regarding origin (cortex vs medulla) and biologic behavior (benign vs malignant). Eighty-seven adrenal tumors were investigated by immunocytochemistry (ICC) using monoclonal antibodies against N-cadherin (NCAD), E-cadherin (ECAD), neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM), and CD44. Western blotting was performed on 30 tumors using the same antibodies. Markers for proliferation (Ki-67) and catecholamine synthesis (tyrosine hydroxylase) were also analyzed in tumors by ICC. NCAD was expressed in 12/27 benign pheochromocytomas (BPCs) (12 familial cases), 8/8 malignant pheochromocytomas (MPCs), 28/30 adrenocortical adenomas, and 9/22 adrenocortical carcinomas. ECAD was expressed in 0/27 BPCs, 0/8 MPCs, 0/30 adrenocortical adenomas, and 2/22 adrenocortical carcinomas. NCAM was expressed in 26/27 BPCs, 7/8 MPCs, 21/30 adrenocrotical adenomas, and 17/22 adrenocortical carcinomas. CD44 was expressed in 23/27 BPCs, 6/8 MPCs, 7/30 adrenocortical adenomas, and 4/22 adrenocortical carcinomas. Both cortical and medullary adrenal tumors expressed NCAD, NCAM, and CD44 but were devoid of ECAD. The expression of CD44 and NCAM did not correlate with the malignant potential of tumors. NCAD was upregulated in MPCs, but downregulated in adrenocortical carcinoma. Thus, NCAD appears to be involved in the development of both cortical and medullary adrenal tumors.
- Perl AK, Wilgenbus P, Dahl U, Semb H, Christofori G. A causal role of E-cadherin in the transition from adenoma to carcinoma. Nature 392:190–193, 1998. CrossRef
- Perl AK, Dahl U, Christofori G. Reduced expression of neural cell adhesion molecule induces metastatic dissemination of pancreatic β tumor cells. Nat Med 5(3):286–291, 1999. CrossRef
- Wallach-Dayan Shulamit B, Grabovsky V, Moll J, Sleeman J, Herrlich P, Alon R, Naor D. CD44-dependent lymphoma cell dissemination: a cell surface CD44, supports in vitro lymphoma cell rolling on hyaluronic acid substrate and its in vitro accumulation in the peripheral lymph nodes. J Cell Sci 114:3463–3477, 2001.
- Langman J. Central nervous system. Medical embryology. 4th ed. Chapter 20. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1980; 351–353.
- Dahia PLM, Grossman AB. The molecular pathogenesis of adrenal tumors. Endocr Relat Cancer 2(4):267–279, 1995.
- Schröder S, Padberg BC, Achilles E, Klöppel G. Immunohistochemistry in adrenocortical tumors: a clinicomorphological study of 72 neoplasms. Virchows Arkiv A, Pathol Anat Histopathol 420:65–70, 1992. CrossRef
- Saeger W. Pathology of adrenal neoplasm. Minerva Endocrinol 20:1–7, 1995.
- Hough AJ, Hollifield JW, Page DL, Hartmann WH. Prognostic factors in adrenal cortical tumors. Am J Clin Pathol 72:390–399, 1979.
- Weiss LM. Comparative histologic study of 43 metastasizing and nonmetastasizing adrenocortical tumors. Am J Surg Pathol 8:163–169, 1984. CrossRef
- Medeiros LJ, Weiss LM. New Developments in the pathologic diagnosis of adrenal cortical neoplasms. Am J Clin Pathol 97:73–83, 1992.
- Grant CS. Pheochromocytoma. In: Clark OH, Duh Q-Y, eds. Textbook of endocrine surgery. Chapter 65. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1997; 513–522.
- Montresor E, Iacono C, Nifosi F, Serio G. Retroperitoneal Paragangliomas: role of immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of malignancy and in assessment of prognosis. Eur J Surg 160:547–552, 1994.
- John H, Ziegler WH, Hayri D, Jaeger P. Pheochromocytomas: can malignant potential be predicted? Urology 53(4):679–683, 1999. CrossRef
- Komminoth P, Roth J, Schröder S, Saremaslani P, Heitz PU. Overlapping expression of immunohistochemical markers and synaptophysin mRNA in pheochromocytomas and adrenocortical carcinomas. Lab Invest 72(4):424–431, 1995.
- McCluggage WG, Burton J, Maxwell P, Sloan JM. Immunohistochemical staining of normal, hyperplastic, and neoplastic adrenal cortex with a monoclonal antibody against alpha inhibin. Clin Pathol 51:114–116, 1998.
- Miettinen M. Neuroendocrine differentiation in adrenocortical carcinoma: new immuno-histochemical findings supported by electron microscopy. Lab Invest 66:169–174, 1992.
- Alsabeh R, Medeiros LJ, Weiss LM. Adrenal cortical tumors clinically mimicking pheochromocytoma. Am J Clin Pathol 104(4):382–390, 1995.
- Haak HR, Fleuren GJ. Neuroendocrine differentiation of adrenocortical tumors. Cancer 75(3):860–864, 1995. CrossRef
- Clarke MR, Weyant RJ, Watson CG, Carty SE. Prognostic markers in pheochromocytoma. Hum Pathol 28:522–526, 1998. CrossRef
- Pelky TJ, Frierson HF Jr, Mills SE, Stoler MH. The alpha subunit of inhibin in adrenal cortical neoplasia. Mod Pathol 11(6):516–524, 1998.
- De Krijger RR, Van Der Harst E, Van Der Ham F, Stijnen T, Dinjens WN, Koper JW, Bruining HA, Lamberts SWJ, Bosman FT. Prognostic value of p53, bcl-2, and c-erbB-2 protein expression in phaeochromocytomas. J Pathol 188:51–55, 1999. CrossRef
- Tartour E, Caillou B, Tenenbaum F, Schröder S, Luciani S, Talbot M, Schlumberger M. Immunohistochemical study of adrenocortical carcinoma. Cancer 73:3296–3303, 1993. CrossRef
- Hage R, Elbers HRJ, de la Riviéra AB, van den Bosch JMM. Neural cell adhesion molecules expression. Clin Invest 114(5):1316–1320, 1998.
- Christofori G, Semb H. The role of celladhesion molecule E-cadherin as a tumor-suppressor gene. TIBS 24:73–76, 1999.
- Gupta D, Shidham V, Holden J, Layfield L. Prognostic value of immunohistochemical expression of topoisomerase alpha II, MIB-1, p53, E-cadherin, retinoblastogene protein product, and HER-2/neu in adrenal and extraadrenal pheochromocytoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 8(4):267–274, 2000. CrossRef
- Khorram-Manesh A, Ahlman H, Jansson S, Wängberg B, Nilsson O, Jakobsson CE, Eliasson B, Lindstedt S, Tisell LE. Adrenocortical carcinoma: surgery and mitotane for treatment and steroid profiles for follow-up. World J Surg 22:605–612, 1998. CrossRef
- Ahlman H, Khorram-Manesh A, Jansson S, Wängberg B, Nilsson O, Jacobsson CE, Lindstedt S. Cytotoxic treatment of adrenocortical carcinoma. World J Surg 25:927–933, 2001. CrossRef
- Tischler AS, Sheldon W, Gray R. Immunohistochemical and morphological characterization of spontaneously occurring pheochromocytoma in the aging mouse. Vet Pathol 33:512–520, 1996. CrossRef
- Kim JB, Islam S, Kim Y, Prudoff RS, Sass KM, Wheelock MJ, Johnson KR. N-cadherin extracellular repeat 4 mediates epithelial to mesenchymal transition and increased motility. J Cell Biol 151:1193–1204, 2000. CrossRef
- Lambert M, Padilla F, Mége RM. Immobilized dimers of N-cadherin-Fc chimera mimic cadherin-mediated cell contact formation: contribution of both outside-in and insideout signals. J Cell Sci 113:2207–2219, 2000.
- Zeromski J, Lawniczak M, Golusinski P. Expression of CD56/N-CAM antigen and some other adhesion molecules in various human endocrine glands. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 36(3):119–125, 1998.
- Meyer MB, Bastholm L, Nielsen MH, Elling F, Rygaard J, Chen W, Öbrink B, Bock E, Edvardsen K. Localization of NCAM on NCAM-B-expressing cells with inhibited migration in collagen. APMIS 103:197–208, 1995. CrossRef
- Barshack I, Goldberg I, Nass D, Olchovsky D, Kopolovic J. CD44 expression in normal adrenal tissue and adrenal tumors. J Clin Pathol 51:52–54, 1998. CrossRef
- Iino K, Sasano H, Yabuki N, Oki Y, Kikuchi A, Yoshimi T, Nagura H. DNA topoisomerase II alpha and Ki-67 in human adrenocortical neoplasms: a possible marker of differentiation between adenomas and carcinomas. Mod Pathol 10(9):901–907, 1997.
- Nakazumi H, Sasano H, Iino K, Ohashi Y, Orikasa S. Expression of cell cycle inhibitor p27 and Ki-67 in human adrenocortical neoplasms. Mod Pathol 11(12):1165–1170, 1998.
- Sasano H, Imatani A, Shizawa S, Suzuki T, Nagura H. Cell proliferation and apoptosis in normal and pathologic human adrenal. Mod Pathol 8(1):11–17, 1995.
- Key G, Becker MHG, Baron B, Duchrow M, Schlüter C, Flad HD, Gerdes J. New Ki-67-equivalent murine monoclonal antibodies (MIB1–3) generated against bacterially expressed parts of the Ki-67 cDNA containing three 62 base pair repetitive elements encoding for the Ki-67 epitope. Lab Invest 68(6):629–636, 1993.
- Nagura S, Katoh R, Kawaoi A, Kobayashi M, Obara T, Omata K. Immunohistochemical estimations of growth activity to predict biological behavior of pheochromocytoma. Mod Pathol 12(12):1107–1111, 1999.
- Vargas MP, Vargas HI, Kleiner DE, Merino MJ. Adrenocortical neoplasm: role of prognostic markers MIB-1, P53, and RB. Am J Surg Pathol 21(5):556–562, 1997. CrossRef
- Edgren M, Eriksson B, Oberg K. Biological characteristics of adrenocortical carcinomas: a study of p53, IGF, EGF-r, Ki-67 and PCNA in 17 adrenocortical carcinomas. Anticancer Res 17(2B):1303–1309, 1997.
- N-cadherin expression in adrenal tumors: Upregulation in malignant pheochromocytoma and downregulation in adrenocortical carcinoma
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 99-110
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Adhesion molecules
- adrenal tumors
- Industry Sectors