Bone aluminum uptake in uremic rats receiving intraperitoneal iron
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To assess the effect of concomitant iron and aluminum loads on bone aluminum accumulation and on the response to the deferoxamine test in rats with the same aluminum surcharge, Wistar rats with chronic renal failure were divided into three groups: iron-overloaded rats (N=6) (intraperitoneal iron); iron-depleted rats (N=6) (blood withdrawal two to three times per week); control rats (N=4) (no manipulation). All groups received intraperitoneal aluminum simultaneously. After 6 wk, a deferoxamine challenge test was performed. Thereafter, bone aluminum and iron were measured.
The iron-overloaded rats showed higher bone iron content (iron overloaded: 147.7±55.4 µg/g; iron depleted: 7.9±1.0, and controls 13.3±9.9 µg/g, p<0.010) and lower bone aluminum content (iron overloaded: 14.2±4.0 µg/g; iron depleted: 70.9±35.1 µg/g; controls: 72.7±28.3 µg/g p<0.005). No differences were found between the iron-depleted and control rats. After the deferoxamine infusion, the iron-depleted rats tended to have higher serum aluminum increments (p=NS) and higher urinary aluminum excretion (p<0.012, p<0.020) than control rats despite similar amounts of aluminum in bone of the two groups.
Aluminum bone accumulation was minor if iron and aluminum loads were given concomitantly. The iron depletion influenced the results of the deferoxamine challenge test in rats with similar bone aluminum burden.
- J. B. Cannata, I. Fernández-Soto, M. J. Fernández Menéndez, J. L. Fernández Martin, S. McGregor, J. H. Brock, et al., Role of iron metabolism in absorption and cellular uptake of aluminium, Kidney Int. 39, 799–803 (1991). CrossRef
- T. B. Drueke, Adynamic bone disease, anaemia, resistance to erythropoietin and iron-aluminium interaction, Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 8(Suppl. 1), 12–16 (1993).
- J. B. Cannata, C. Gómez Alonso, M. J. Fernández Menéndez, I. Fernández Soto, S. McGregor, P. Menéndez Fraga, et al., Iron uptake in aluminium overload: in vivo and in vitro studies, Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 6, 672–674 (1991).
- K. Abreo, J. Glass, and M. Sella, Aluminum inhibits hemoglobin synthesis but enhances iron uptake in Friend erythroleukemia cells, Kidney Int. 37(2), 677–681 (1990). CrossRef
- G. F. Van Landeghem, P. C. D’Haese, L. V. Lamberts, L. Djukanovic, S. Pejanovic, W. G. Goodman, et al., Low serum aluminum values in dialysis patients with increased bone aluminum levels, Clin. Nephrol. 50(2), 69–76 (1998).
- J. B. Cannata, J. L. Fernández-Martín, J. B. Díaz López, M. Alonso, I. Olaizola, and G. Acuña, Influence of iron status in the response to the deferoxamine test, J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 7, 135–139 (1996).
- J. B. Cannata, I. Olaizola, C. Gómez Alonso, P. Menéndez Fraga, M. Alonso Suárez, B. Diaz López, Serum aluminium transport and aluminium uptake in chronic renal failure: role of iron and aluminium metabolism, Nephron 65, 141–146 (1993).
- E. H. Morgan, and T. G. Redgrave, Effects of dietary supplementation with aluminum and citrate on iron metabolism in the rat, Biol. Trace Element Res. 65, 117–131 (1998).
- K. Abreo, F. Abreo, M. L. Sella, and S. Jain, Aluminum enhances iron uptake and expression of neurofibrillary tangle protein in neuroblastoma cells, J. Neurochem. 72, 2059–2064 (1999). CrossRef
- T. H. Ittel, S. Kinzel, A. Ortmanns, and H. G. Sieberth, Effect of iron status on the intestinal absorption of aluminum: a reappraisal, Kidney Int. 50, 1879–1888 (1996). CrossRef
- J. L. Fernandez-Martín, P. Menéndez Fraga, M. A. Canteros, B. Díaz López, and J. B. Cannata, Andía, Binding of aluminium to plasma proteins: comparative effect of desferrioxamine and deferiprone (L1), Clin. Chim. Acta 230, 137–145 (1994). CrossRef
- X. Alvarez-Hernandez, R. Madigosky, B. Stewar, and J. Glass, Iron status affects aluminum uptake and transport by Caco-2 cells, J. Nutr. 124, 1574–1580 (1994).
- J. L. Lin, P. S. Lim, and M. L. Leu, Relationship of body iron status and serum aluminum in chronic renal insufficiency patients not taking any aluminum-containing drugs, Am. J. Nephrol. 15, 118–122 (1995). CrossRef
- J. L. Vanuytsel, P. C. D’Haese, M. M. Couttenye, and M. E. De Broe, Higher serum aluminium concentrations in iron-depleted dialysis patients, Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 7, 117 (1992).
- J. Y. Huang, C. C. Huang, P. S. Lim, M. S. Wu, and M. L. Leu, Effect of body iron stores on serum aluminium level in hemodialysis patients, Nephron 61, 158–162 (1992). CrossRef
- S. McGregor, M. J. Fernández-Menéndez, M. L. Naves, R. Elorriaga, J. H. Brock, and J. B. Cannata, The uptake of aluminium and its effect on iron metabolism in the osteoblast like cell line MG-63, Trace Element Med. 2, 187–191 (1994).
- M. S. Golub, B. Han, and C. L. Keen, Iron and manganese uptake by offspring of lactating mice fed a high aluminum diet, Toxicology 109, 111–118 (1996). CrossRef
- T. H. Ittel, A. Schulpin, and H. G. Siebert, Body iron stores do not affect the enhanced intestinal absorption of aluminum in uremia, J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2, 611 (1991).
- J. Montenegro, R. Aguirre, R. Saracho, I. Moina, and I. Martinez, Factors influencing serum aluminium in CAPD patients, Clin. Nephrol. 50, 77–83 (1998).
- R. Demontis, A. Leflon, A. Fournier, Y. Tahiri, M. Herve, P. Moriniere, et al., 1 alpha (OH) vitamin D3 increases plasma aluminum in hemodialized patients taking Al(OH), Clin. Nephrol. 26, 146–149 (1986).
- M. J. Fernández Menéndez, I. Olaizola, J. B. Díaz López, I. Fernández Soto, M. Roza, and J. B. Cannata, A double risk of aluminium hydroxide: increased aluminium uptake and reduced iron absorption, Trace Element Med. 8, 167–171 (1991).
- G. F. Van Landeghem, P. C. D’Haese, L. V. Lamberts, and M. E. De Broe, Competition of iron and aluminum for transferrin: the molecular basis for aluminum deposition in iron-overloaded dialysis patients? Exp. Nephrol. 5, 239–245 (1997).
- J. D. Barata, P. C. D’Haese, V. Lamberts, and M. E. De Broe, Low-dose (5 mg/Kg) DFO treatment in acutely aluminium intoxicated haemodialysis patients using two drug administration schedules, Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 11, 125–132 (1996).
- J. Hdez-Jaras, A. Galan, and P. Sanchez, Accidental aluminum intoxication in patients undergoing acetate-free biofiltration, Nephron 78, 274–277 (1998). CrossRef
- D. R. Burwen, S. M. Olsen, L. A. Bland, M. J. Arduino, M. H. Reid, and W. R. Jarvis, Epidemic Al intoxication in hemodialysis patients traced to use of an aluminum pump, Kidney Int. 48, 469–474 (1995). CrossRef
- Bone aluminum uptake in uremic rats receiving intraperitoneal iron
Biological Trace Element Research
Volume 84, Issue 1-3 , pp 129-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- chronic renal failure
- Industry Sectors