The effect of pretreatments on surfactin production from potato process effluent by Bacillus subtilis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Pretreatments of low-solids potato process effluent were tested for their potential to increase surfactin yield. Pretreatments included heat, removal of starch particulates, and acid hydrolysis. Elimination of contaminating vegetative cells was necessary for surfactin production. After autoclaving, 0.40 g/L of surfactin was produced from the effluent in 72 h, vs 0.24 g/L in the purified potato starch control. However, surfactin yields per carbon consumed were 76% lower from process effluent. Removal of starch particulates had little effect on the culture. Acid hydrolysis decreased growth and surfactant production, except 0.5 wt% acid, which increased the yield by 25% over untreated effluent.
- Abdul, A. S., Gibson, T. L., and Rai, D. N. (1990), Ground Water 28, 920–926. CrossRef
- Ang, C. C. and Abdul, A. S. (1991), Ground Water Monitor. Rev. 11, 121–127. CrossRef
- Ellis, W. D., Payne, J. R., and McNab, G. D. (1985), EPA/600/S2-85/129, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC.
- Rudolph, P. (1989), in Aquatic Toxicity Data Base, Federal Environmental Agency, Berlin.
- Schröder, H. F. (1993), J. Chromatogr. 647, 219–234. CrossRef
- Zajic, J. E. and Seffens, W. (1984), CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 1(2), 87–107.
- Rosenberg, E. (1986), CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 3(3), 109–132.
- Arima, K., Kakinuma, A., and Tamura, G. (1968), Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 31, 488–494. CrossRef
- Cooper, D. G., McDonald, C. R., Duff, S. J. B., and Kosaric, N. (1981), Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 42, 408–412.
- Besson, F. and Michel, G. (1992), Biotechnol. Lett. 14(11), 1013–1018. CrossRef
- Georgiou, G., Lin, S.-Y., and Sharma, M. M. (1992), Bio/Technology 10, 60–65. CrossRef
- Lin, S.-Y. (1996), J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 66, 109–120. CrossRef
- Thompson, D. N., Fox, S. L., and Bala, G. A. (2000), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 84–86, 917–930. CrossRef
- Gherna, P. and Pienta, P., eds. (1989), in American Type Culture Collection Catalogue of Bacteria and Phages, 17th ed., American Type Culture Collection, Rockville, MD, p. 403.
- Atlas, R. M. (1993), in Handbook of Microbiological Media, Parks, L. C., ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, p. 672.
- Gerhardt, P., Murray, R. G. E., Wood, W. A., and Krieg, N. R., eds. (1994), in Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, pp. 518, 519.
- Bailey, J. E. and Ollis, D. F. (1986), in Biochemical Engineering Fundamentals, 2nd ed., Verina, K. and Martin, C. C., eds., McGraw-Hill, New York, p. 5.
- Herd, M. D., Lassahn, G. D., Thomas, C. P., Bala, G. A., and Eastman, S. L., (1992), in Proceedings of the DOE Eighth Symposium on Enhanced Oil Recovery, SPE/DOE24206, Tulsa, OK.
- Gerson, D. F. and Zajic, J. E. (1979), Process Biochem. 14, 20–29.
- Sheppard, J. D. and Mulligan, C. N. (1987), Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 27, 110–116. CrossRef
- Grethlein, H. E. (1978), Biotechnol. Bioeng. 20, 503–525. CrossRef
- Marsden, L. M. and Gray, P. P. (1986), CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 3(3), 235–276. CrossRef
- Lee, J. (1997), J. Biotechnol. 56, 1–24. CrossRef
- The effect of pretreatments on surfactin production from potato process effluent by Bacillus subtilis
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 91-93, Issue 1-9 , pp 487-501
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bacillus subtilis
- alternate feedstock
- enhanced oil recovery
- Industry Sectors