Fungal upgrading of wheat straw for straw-thermoplastics production
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Combining biologic pretreatment with storage is an innovative approach for improving feedstock characteristics and cost, but the magnitude of responses of such systems to upsets is unknown. Unsterile wheat straw stems were upgraded for 12 wk with Pleurotus ostreatus at constant temperature to estimate the variation in final compositions with variations in initial moisture and inoculum. Degradation rates and conversions increased with both moisture and inoculum. A regression analysis indicated that system performance was quite stable with respect to inoculum and moisture content after 6 wk of treatment. Scale-up by 150× indicated that system stability and final straw composition are sensitive to inoculum source, history, and inoculation method. Comparative testing of straw-thermoplastic composites produced from upgraded stems is under way.
- USDA NASS. (2001), United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service, see Website: http://www.usda.gov/nass/.
- Biomass Technical Advisory Committee. (2002), Vision for Bioenergy & Biobased Products in the United States, United States Department of Energy, Office of the Biomass Program, Washington, DC.
- Biomass Technical Advisory Committee. (2002), Roadmap for Biomass Technologies in the United States, United States Department of Energy, Office of the Biomass Program, Washington, DC.
- Thompson, D. N., Houghton T. P., Lacey, J. A., and Hess, J. R. (2003), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 105–108, 423–436. CrossRef
- Hess, J. R., Thompson, D. N., Hoskinson, R. L., Shaw, P. G., and Grant, D. R. (2003), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 105–108, 43–51. CrossRef
- Lang, E. (1997), Bioresour. Technol. 60, 95–99. CrossRef
- Hadar, Y., Kerem, Z., and Gorodecki, B. (1993), J. Biotechnol. 30, 133–139. CrossRef
- Lindfelser, L. A., Detroy, R. W., Ramstack, J. M., and Worden, K. A. (1979), Dev. Ind. Microbiol. 20, 541–551.
- Kirk, T. K. and Farrell, R. L. (1987), Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 41, 465–505. CrossRef
- Aust, S. D. (2002), Personal communication, Biotechnology Center, Utah State University, Logan, UT.
- Saeman, J. F., Bubl, J. L., and Harris, E. E. (1945), Ind. Eng. Chem. 17(1), 35–37. CrossRef
- Thompson, D. N., Chen, H.-C., and Grethlein, H. E. (1992), Bioresour. Technol. 39, 155–163. CrossRef
- ASTM (1998), Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM Method D 790-97, American Society for Testing and Materials, Committee D20 on Plastics, Subcommittee D20.10 on Mechanical Properties, West Conshohocken, PA.
- ASTM (1999), Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM Method D 1037-99, American Society for Testing and Materials, Committee D7 on Wood, Subcommittee D07.03 on Panel Products, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Thompson, D. N., Foust, T. D., Hess, J. R., Hoskinson, R. L., Houghton, T. P., Lacey, J. A., and Shaw, P. G., (2002), in: Proceedings of Bioenergy 2002–Bioenergy for the Environment, Omnipress, Madison, WI, paper 2013.
- Hatakka, A. I. (1983), Eur. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 18, 350–357. CrossRef
- Steinegger, D. H. and Janssen, D. E. (1993), Garden Compost, NebGuide G86-810-A, Cooperative Extension, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE.
- Fungal upgrading of wheat straw for straw-thermoplastics production
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 113, Issue 1-3 , pp 71-93
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Fungal upgrading
- engineered storage
- biological preprocessing
- Pleurotus ostreatus
- straw composite
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, 83415-2203, Idaho Falls, ID
- 2. Washington State University, 99164-1806, Pullman, WA