Post-harvest processing methods for reduction of silica and alkali metals in wheat straw
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Silica and alkali metals in wheat straw limit its use for bioenergy and gasification. Slag deposits occur via the eutectic melting of SiO2 with K2O, trapping chlorides at surfaces and causing corrosion. A minimum melting point of 950°C is desirable, corresponding to an SiO2:K2O weight ratio of about 3:1. Mild chemical treatments were used to reduce Si, K, and Cl, while varying temperature, concentration, % solids, and time. Dilute acid was more effective at removing K and Cl, while dilute alkali was more effective for Si. Reduction of minerals in this manner may prove economical for increasing utilization of the straw for combustion or gasification.
- USDA NASS. (2001), United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service (Website: http://www.usda.gov/nass/).
- Stultz, S. C., Kitto, J. B. eds. (1992) Steam: Its Generation and Use. Babcock & Wilcox, Barberton, OH
- Jenkins, B. M., Baxter, L. L., Miles, T. R., Miles, T. R. (1999) Fuel 78: pp. 17-46
- Seggiani, M. (1999) Fuel 78: pp. 1121-1125 CrossRef
- Weast, R. C., Astle, M. J., and Beyer, W. H., eds. (1983), CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 64th ed., CRC, Boca Raton, FL, p. B-135.
- Steciak, J., (2001), personal communication (unpublished data), Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Idaho, Boise, ID.
- Hess, J. R., Thompson, D. N., Hoskinson, R. L., Shaw, P. G., Grant, D. R. (2003) Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 105–108: pp. 43-52 CrossRef
- Standard Guide to Quantitative Analysis by Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA
- Gavlak, R. G., Horneck, D. A., Miller, R. O. (1994) Plant, Soil, and Water Reference Methods for the Western Region. University of Alaska Cooperative Extension Service, Fairbanks, AK
- (1994), Plant, Soil, and Water Reference Methods for the Western Region, Far West Fertilizer and Agrichemical Association.
- Saeman, J. F., Bubl, J. L., Harris, E. E. (1945) Ind. Eng. Chem. 17: pp. 35-37 CrossRef
- Post-harvest processing methods for reduction of silica and alkali metals in wheat straw
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 105, Issue 1-3 , pp 205-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- fluidized bed
- Industry Sectors