Treatment of acute intracerebral hemorrhage with ɛ-aminocaproic acid
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Introduction: Up to 40% of primary intracerebral hemorrhages (ICHs) expand within the first 24 hours (natural history). The authors aimed to study the safety and preliminary efficacy of ɛ-aminocaproic acid (EACA) in halting ICH enlargement.
Methods: Consecutive patients with hematoma volumes ranging from 5 to 80 mL were recruited within 12 hours of ICH onset. A total of 5 g EACA was infused during 1 hour and then 1 g/hour for 23 hours. Hematoma volume was compared onbaseline, and 24–48-hour brain imaging. Consecutive untreated patients underwent the same imaging protocol.
Results: Three of the first five patients treated had HE>33% of their baseline volume. HE occurred in two of the nine untreated patients. The 80% confidence interval for HE in the treated patients was 32–88%. No thrombotic or other serious adverse events were attributed to EACA.
Conclusion: It is unlikely that the rate of HE in patients given EACA within 12 hours of ICH is less than the natural history rate, although this treatment appears to be safe.
- Brott T, Broderick J, Kothari R, et al. Early hemorrhage growth in patients with intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 1997;28:1–5.
- Hanel RA, Xavier AR, Mohammad Y, Kirmani JF, Yahia AM, Qureshi, AI. Outcome following intracerebral hemorrhage and subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurol. Res. 2002;24(Suppl 1): S58-S62. CrossRef
- Morgenstern LB, Demchuk AM, Kim DH, Frankowski RF, Grotta JC. Rebleeding leads to poor outcome in ultra-early craniotomy for intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurology 2001;56:1294–1299.
- Lisk DR, Pasteur W, Rhoades H, Putnam RD, Grotta, JC. Early presentation of hemispheric intracerebral hemorrhage: prediction of outcome and guidelines for treatment allocation. Neurology 1994;44:133–139.
- Kassell NF, Torner JC, Adams HP, Jr. Antifibrinolytic therapy in the acute period following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: preliminary observations from the Cooperative Aneurysm Study. J. Neurosurg. 1984;61:225–230. CrossRef
- Kothari RU, Brott T, Broderick JP, et al. The ABCs of measuring intracerebral hemorrhage volume. Stroke 1996;27:1304–1305.
- Mayer SA. Ultra-early hemostatic therapy for intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2003;34:224–229. CrossRef
- Treatment of acute intracerebral hemorrhage with ɛ-aminocaproic acid
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 47-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Epsilon-aminocaprioc acid
- intracerebral hemorrhage
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Stroke Program, Department of Neurology, University of Texas at Houston, 6431 Fannin Street, MSB 7044, 77030, Houston, TX
- 2. Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX