Oxidative stress in breast cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present study was undertaken to evaluate the place of oxidative stress on breast cancer. Lipid peroxidation as evidenced by malondialdehyde (MDA) and the status of the antioxidants superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) were estimated in tissues of 10 fibroadenoma and 40 breast cancer patients. Lipid peroxidation in breast cancer tissues was enhanced compared to nonmalignant tissues (p<0.001). Similarly, antioxidants SOD (p<0.001) and GPx (p=0.007) in tumor tissues significantly were increased. On the contrary, CAT activity was found significantly decreased (p<0.001). We found that oxidant/antioxidant status was independent from any prognostic factors concerning breast cancer. The results of our study have shown higher oxygen-free-radical production and decreased CAT activity support the oxidative stress hypothesis in breast carcinogenesis.
- Hristozov D, Gadjeva V, Vlaykova T, Dimitrov G. Evaluation of oxidative stress in patients with cancer. Arch Physiol Biochem 2001; 109: 331–336.
- Gonzalez RA. Free radicals, oxidative stress and DNA metabolism in human cancer. Cancer Invest 1999; 17: 376–377. CrossRef
- Kumaraguruparan R, Subapriya R, Viswanathan P, Nagini S. Tissue lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in patients with adenocarcinoma of the breast. Clin Chim Acta 2002; 325: 165–170. CrossRef
- Kumaraguruparan R, Subapriya R, Kabalimoorthy J, Nagini S. Antioxidant profile in the circulation of patients with fibroadenoma and adenocarcinoma of the breast. Clin Biochem 2002; 35: 275–279. CrossRef
- Ray G, Batra S, Shukla NK, Deo S, Raina V, Ashok S, Husain SA. Lipid peroxidation, free radical production and antioxidant status in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2000; 59: 163–170. CrossRef
- Punnonen K, Ahotupa M, Asaishi K, Hyoty M, Kudo R, Punnonen R. Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in human breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1994; 120: 374–377. CrossRef
- Portakal O, Ozakaya O, Erden Inal M, Bozan B, Kosan M, Sayek I. Coenzyme Q10 concentrations and antioxidant status in tissues of breast cancer patients. Clin Biochem 2000; 33: 279–284. CrossRef
- Iscan M, Coban T, Cok I, Bulbul D, Eke BC, Burgaz S. The organochlorine pesticide residues and antioxidant enzyme activities in human breast tumors: is there any association? Breast Cancer Res Treat 2002; 72: 173–182. CrossRef
- Thangaraju M, Vijayalakshmi T, Sachdanandam P. Effect of tamoxifen on lipid peroxide and antioxidative system in postmenopausl women with breast cancer. Cancer 1994; 74: 78–82. CrossRef
- Angel MF, Ramasastry SS, Swartz WM. The critical relationship between free radicals and degrees of ischemia: evidence for tissue intolerance of marginal perfusion. Plastic Reconstruct Surg 1988; 81: 233–240. CrossRef
- Sun Y, Oberley LW, Li Y. A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase. Clin Chem 1988; 34: 497–500.
- Beers R, Sizer JW. Spectrophotometric method for measuring the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase. J Biol Chem 1952; 195: 133–140.
- Paglia DE, Valentine WN. Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutation peroxide. J Lab Clin Med 1967; 70: 158–169.
- Oxidative stress in breast cancer
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 11-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- oxidative stress
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Oncology, Istanbul University, Turkey
- 3. Department of Surgery Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
- 4. Department of Biochemistry, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
- 5. Department of Pathology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
- 6. Department of Oncology, Sisli Etfal Hospital, Turkey